High Speed Adsl Service In Mae Rim Area

dbrisinda

Exactly where you are in Mae Rim is important, where I live the closest point is with TOT, but other locations suit TTT better. Neither True or CAT come out here so there is just the choice of 2. I use TOT business service because the private users service is useless in school holidays or after school but it depends what you want and at what time of day. I am fairly satisfied with TOT business.I advise you to visit the 2 shops in Mae Rim (preferably with a Thai speaker) and explain exactly where you live and ask their advice.

3B has been laying a lot of cable and providing service on the approaches to Mae Rim. Do check with them if they provide service to your particular locale now and if not, see if they will put you on their list for future service. I spotted a box of theirs near my home on the Chiang Mai side of Mae Rim and they put me on a list. A month later they contacted me and hooked me up. So happy to say bye bye to TOT.

Thanks for the info everyone. Actually, yes we're outside Mae Rim -- we're living in Mae Ann about 8km away.

I'll look into some of the other resources provided.

However, I just found out that others in the area seem to be using TOT ADSL, so that seems to be one possible option. Would anyone have a TOT contact number for Mae Rim? I can't (yet) read Thai, and their website is all in Flash, so it doesn't google translate well.

Thanks again.

Exactly where you are in Mae Rim is important, where I live the closest point is with TOT, but other locations suit TTT better. Neither True or CAT come out here so there is just the choice of 2. I use TOT business service because the private users service is useless in school holidays or after school but it depends what you want and at what time of day. I am fairly satisfied with TOT business.I advise you to visit the 2 shops in Mae Rim (preferably with a Thai speaker) and explain exactly where you live and ask their advice.

What's the promotion for TOT business? Is there a website?

I am in Mae Hia but 3BB has become totally useless and I think TOT is my only other option (if they come here - but in my experience TOT comes everywhere...)

What about written consent by house owner, still needed?

My TOT is actually reliable however expensive.

Living close to Government House at Ping River , between 121 and 2nd ring road. Still part of Mae Rim.

Anyone with experience there?

I live in the Don Kaew area as you describe, and I have been using 3BB since August. I'm very satisfied with their service; very seldom is there a problem using the internet. The cost is 630 baht a month. Location on Wikimapia is here. 3BB website is here. Mae Rim 3BB office is pictured.527042553.JPG

Just checked my CAT CDMA wireless broadband at 'Ban Don Gairw' (near the army base on the way to Mae Rim)

Works with 'excellent' reception!

(Phew, you had me worried ...... moving there in a week or so)

Edited by pjclark1

CAT CDMA wireless means that I don't need an additional wireless modem in the house, which I use now for transfer from the fixed TOT line to my laptop, right?

The wireless modem by itself has a speed limit of 2000.

How much do you get up/down from CAT CDMA? What is the price?

PS it just occurred to me that the internal modem in the Acer might have a speed limit too, which don't know, if so buy better connections may become a pure price issue.

Does anyone have an idea what the capacity of internal modem is, where to look up??

Working with Acer and Mac.

Edited by THAIPHUKET

• 2 weeks later...

The CAT is 6k for a USB dongle with 3 months unlimited connection, after that 800bht a month

Or the CAT personal wifi hotspot is 8k, then same

Speed 1.5 meg down, 700k up, although it is often only 0.7 down at peak times, up speed is always good for some reason.

Advantage is you don't have to worry about a landline and it is very portable.

As with all internet providers in Chiang Mai, it depends on your location. You should check with people in the area and also with the office of the particular provider. I have found most of the offices quite honest with their answers to my questions. I have had a few providers through my time here.

I have a CAT CDMA dongle and I have never had speeds that reach .5 mb about 7 km South of Chiang Mai. I have gotten up to 2.0 mb outside Chiang Mai. I consistently get 2.5 or better with AIS 3G. AIS has a significantly smaller coverage area than CAT.

A lot depends on your distance from one of their towers. I found both the office in Central Airport Plaza and the main office on the Superhighway quite helpful and they will show you where there towers are located.

The best way to find out is to have someone with whichever service you are checking go to your location and try. Of course finding someone willing to do that may be hard, but it can be done.

Once you get a provider, it is important to be sure your network settings are optimal for the particular service and device.

MSPain