Thai Centre To Prevent New Year Holidays Road Accidents Officially Opens

webfact

New Year holidays road accident prevention centre opens officially

BANGKOK, Dec 29 - Thailand's national road accident prevention centre for New Year holidays was officially opened to monitor and reduce the number of road accidents during this festive season as the government has designated seven days high risk from Dec 29 through Jan 4.

The opening ceremony was presided over by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, chair and director of the road accidents prevention committee and Road Safety Control Centre, along with other ministers.

Mr Suthep thanked the safety network for being involved with road accidents prevention and said the government has been playing a key role to prevent and reduce the number of accidents and to educate the public on road safety matters.

The deputy premier said the government is promoting a campaign from 2011-2020 to reduce the number of road accidents, which is set by half in 2020, in order to upgrade the country's safety level to an international standard.

According to Mr Suthep, around 75-80 per cent of accidents during the New Year holidays involve motorcycles. Another concern is caused by unsafe driving behaviour and speeding. He thus urged related parties to realise the importance of predictable accidents and urge motorcyclists to wear helmets for safety nationwide.

"As the centre director, I asked all related agencies at all levels to prevent road accidents in order to reduce losses as much as possible," said Deputy Premier Suthep.

He also gave support to officials having to work during the New Year period and wished the public a happy holiday, while urging them to apply His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej's teaching to be vigilant, not negligent, when using the roads.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Chavarat Charnvirakul said the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department will be able to reduce the number of road accidents by 10 per cent during New Year's seven dangerous days as he had targeted.

However, the department's director-general Wiboon Sanguanpong said his organisation had forecast the accident figure at 5 per cent lower than the New Year period this year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-12-29

prevention centre should open sometimes before festivities, to educate public. Commercials on radio, tv, billboards, leaflets do work, but need to be repeated over the time.

looks like there is an obsession with figures, targets and planning, but somehow difficult to see coordinated forward planning.

"is set by half in 2020, ... the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department will be able to reduce the number of road accidents by 10 per cent ... However, the department's director-general Wiboon Sanguanpong said his organisation had forecast the accident figure at 5 per cent lower ..."

The diesel pump stopped working on the car. The thing wouldn't start. I don't know anything about them and didn't know where to start.

I've got a cousin who works in a bakery. His specialim is wedding cakes, which he ices. I told him my problem and asked if he could help.

I then remembered my Aunt May who ran her own brithday cake / greeting card business from home. She makes each one by hand and to order and they aren't cheap. She might be able to help.

My Dad is a retired glass blower. He worked for Caithness Glass for over 40 years. Maybe he could be of assistance.

Mom is an avid gardener. Seems to have green fingers. Everything she touches just seems to blossom. Phoned her right off telling her the problem.

Uncle Ray ran his own barber's shop and even branched out into Ladies Salons. In the end he had a mini-business empire of 8 outlets. He always liked a visit so I thought I'd pop round and see him about it.

So, to sum up: I haven't got a clue how to fix it. So I go ask a load of people who also haven't got a clue how to fix it. I ask if they can help. What I don't do is say how they can help ..................... do what exactly?

And why? Because I haven't got a clue. Not one single solitary idea. But, I do make a lot of noise about it.