Moving To Thailand- Report To Local Police Station?

Hi I will be moving to live in Thailand with my Thai wife in january and I have a multi entry type O visa from the Thai consulate in Hull, I have heard that you have to report to the local poice station within 24 hours of arriving and register with them, is this still the case and if so what other documents will I need to take?

I look forward to your replies and we wish every member of Thai Visa a very happy and prosperous new year.

Regards

Vistana

The owner of the place you live will have to report your presence to Immigration Police. For commercial stay this is enforced to the most part but most civilians still ignore it. If staying in that area nothing hurt by making such a report but many police stations will not know what to do. It is the law but not currently enforced - as it would be chaos to strictly enforce the below provisions:

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason

that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official

of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not

located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

You will find though if you move to Hua Hin they do expect you to report within 24 hours or will fine you 800 Baht when you go to visit them for something you need like a proof of residence letter etc. It happened to me when we first moved here a few years ago and is still happening now and to many others and they do give you a receipt for it. When recently changing my car the salesman at Mitsubishi asked me how much I paid for my residence letter and was surprised when I said 300 Baht as most of his Farang customers were saying it cost 1100 Baht, 300 for letter and 800 for the fine.

Correct.

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I have downloaded the form just in case, My wife actually owns our house in Thailand and I have a userfruct agreement.

I thought

The initial report is made using your landing card, part of which is stapled to your passport.

Every time you do a border run, you use the same form.

Edited by pjclark1