Teen Involved In Fatal Bangkok Tollway Crash Stressed Out : Mum

webfact

Disagree. That hasn't already been done. There are 2 things that need to happen in response to a tragedy like this...

Really well said Greg, especially the first few paragraphs.

Edited by Maestro
Reduced quoted text. (Click on the back-link of the quote to see the full text, if desired)

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Put her in jail for 30 years...

30 years in prison for driving without a license, as stated by police according to newspaper reports, and speeding, as admitted by the driver publicly in a television interview? A bit stiff, I should think. Any other offences need yet to be established in the ongoing investigation and subsequently ruled upon by a court, I believe. Isn't this how the juridical system works?

Edited by Puccini

Disagree. That hasn't already been done...

You don't believe a reason has already not been given to not drive underage? Do you really believe the average adult and 16 or 17 year old would not choose some time behind bars over feeling responsible for the deaths of 9 people????????

You can certainly reduce the number of unlicensed drivers (which are mainly adults) as well as underage driving but you are never going to eliminate it. Typical adults and typical teens do not think the same when it comes to consequences or learning from others. Teens typically feel invincible and believe "these things happen to other people'. So, getting a teen to learn by making an example for somebody else is not the most effective way to get them to learn.

I also believe you have missed a huge awareness campaign and positive that needs to come from this and that is the importance of seat-belt use and other safety equipment (helmets). It boggles my mind to see pick-ups loaded with people and kids in the back as well as parents riding a motorcycle with kids on them let alone the kids wearing no helmet. Not to mention the driver of a vehicle not insisting people and kids buckle up let alone having adult passengers take the initiative on themselves.

Maybe I should take my statement back about teens and kids learning differently because with all the daily reports of motorcycle deaths and/or vehicle deaths resulting from lack of seat belts or helmets even a huge portion of adults don't learn to use them. However, public awareness campaigns do work here as can be attested to by the use of condoms and aids cases after the governments campaign earlier in the decade.

Edited by Maestro
Reduced quoted text.

You seem to think that being involved in a wreck with 9-people dying is not a huge ("serious") consequence of an underage driving and/or that an underage driver would care more about doing some jail time (or other harsh punishment) than they would about feeling responsible for 9-deaths...

I believe that she feels sad and sorry about the loss of life, and she should get quite a bit of quiet time to reflect on her actions - and she may well feel even sadder and sorrier behind bars. THAT is a clear and obvious message that breaking the law has consequences. The prescribed penalties are B50,000 fine (which daddy will gladly pay I'm sure) and/or 2 (?) years in the slammer, automatically halved if she confesses, which she has to face up to herself.

On the other hand, given the strong public feeling about this, the prosecutor may well go with more serious charges if it is possible, something along the lines of felony/manslaughter.

I am aware that under-age driving is not a felony, but there a string of offences here, the most serious probably being reckless driving, which caused multiple fatalities.

As for your earlier post that said in CA you would only be charged with one offense, that does not apply in most other jurisdictions - you are liable for each and every law that you break, and if the offences are minor but had grave consequences, expect to be charged with everything up to and including riding a bicycle without a bell.

Edited by Maestro
Reduced quoted text. (Click on the back-link of the quote to see the full text, if desired)

I think part of the anger about this whole episode is the feeling by a lot to Thais that the girl will in essence just walk. Just imagine what would happen if this scenario was reversed, ie a underage Issan farm girl hits a van of Hi-so children and killed them all. Does not take a genius to figure out the outcome of that..... 

...Put her in jail for 30 years...

Good one, welcome to the HANG HER HIGH faction. After she is out then after 30 years I am sure the death are alive again and she is a much better person. :angry:

I furthermore think you forgot where you live and how easy it is to see a jail from inside here. I suggest you keep the ball flat, things can be easy getting back to

you, thats what Buddhists belive.

Does anyone know who was the owner of the car she drove? First they wrote always something like another girl in the car but lately she was not mentioned anymore.

If the car belonged to her and her parents bought it for her, isnt it the same like her parents buy her a weapon?

Edited by Maestro
Reduced quoted text. No need to quote multiple nested posts.

I think part of the anger about this whole episode is the feeling by a lot to Thais that the girl will in essence just walk. Just imagine what would happen if this scenario was reversed, ie a underage Issan farm girl hits a van of Hi-so children and killed them all. Does not take a genius to figure out the outcome of that..... 

kind of right, but lets discuss the different szenarios when the same incident take place in a western country. Do you think they jail her for a couple of years? she is 16 and not under adult law in most european countries. There for sure her parents will not be happy anymore for the rest of their lifes and she will either not. Insurance wont pay a single cent in cases like this.

Exactly... I just wish the rich elite would stop being so arrogant - but the system let's them be this way. I like your last point - well said.

The 'what if' and 'imagines' are good in theory but reality of the described scenario may be somewhat different. A poor Issan underage farm girl would probably be riding a motorbike or bicycle and would do minimal damage to a van. This is Thailand, accidents happen every day on the road systems. Teenagers do their own thing when out of sight of parents everywhere and those with money seem to come out somewhat better than those without, when their actions cause grief/death.

I am not sure what the proper punishment for the girl should be, that is why it is probably best that there will be third parties involved. I doubt that the parents of the victims and the parents of the young girl would propose the same punishment.

...Does anyone know who was the owner of the car she drove? First they wrote always something like another girl in the car but lately she was not mentioned anymore...

That was on Thai-language gossip websites: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=4114363. What did the police say, according to news reports?

...Does anyone know who was the owner of the car she drove? First they wrote always something like another girl in the car but lately she was not mentioned anymore...

That was on Thai-language gossip websites: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=4114363. What did the police say, according to news reports?

Ok, it says may be her sister. I just wonder why the "sister" is not mentioned anymore and WHO the owner of the car really is. In Germany they always go first for the owner of the car when a minor cant be hold responsible.

here here

If law is introduced to make seatbelts mandatory on coaches, and these type of minibus, then the deaths of these unfortunate people will have brought about a change that in time could save thousands of lives........surely this is where we should be using any influence we feel we may have. To raise some good from this carnage.

and maybe the number of lives saved could be vastly increased by getting the under-age drivers and riders off the road.

HELLO! (carried over from other mother related thread)

No Nisa, thats not what I mean because its not mentioned in the law that its against the law, I am simply trying to point out it has no legal boundary (the process of flicking ones lights).

Is that better mr dead moderator (from never dead) ? :ph34r::lol:

Is this the Honda involved in the accident? Photo posted on the website of Honda City Thailand (HCT) club on 23 June 2010.

post-88861-0-27459000-1293959719_thumb.j

Source: http://www.hondacitythailand.com/club/thread-5778-1-1.html

The poster seems to refer to the car as น้องสาว (nóng săo = younger sister), in the context of "this is my new baby, white colour, I love her very much". If this was posted by the Honda driver involved in the accident it might explain why some gossipers, taking "younger sister" literally, said there were two sisters in the car, and this then developed into speculation about which of them was driving the car. Talk about Chinese whispers!

Just in case that HCT account should get closed, here is a screenshot of that post:

HCT page.pdf

:cheesy: Som nom na.

I actually thought you'd just delete my comment and say, "<deleted> are you talking about neverdie" :cheesy:

pssst. Please keep it on topic, Mr dead is lurking & he's still trying to learn the control functions of his rythymstick :ph34r:

Edited by neverdie

That was on Thai-language gossip websites: http://www.thaivisa....st&pid=4114363. What did the police say, according to news reports?

I have mentioned this in previous posts, 1 -- owner who ?????????????????????????????

2 - Definate age of the sedan driver involved, ???????????????????/

If I have missed something here --sorry...I have read so much about minors-big time jail- statistics-b/s.........age has been thrown around from 16--17--18 --- ownership of vehical-the minors...friends, family. who had the blue book at the time of the incident--and therefore whose name.....What is the true up to date info--PLEASE.

Defending the minor- She didn,t really understand what she was doing type of talk , maybe true, but she will have to learn the hard way. And family. NO she doesn,t want hanging high NISA-I agree, I,ve heard some sick things in my time like the --be kind to the little child-Minor. Wait bookworm-lets get some straight answers first .. as you seem to know EVERYTHING about protecting little children, most of the readers are not going down that road. I have an idea most are feeling the hurt-to all parties. Seems to me 1 or 2 have blinkers on--

You know, her body language in the photo certainly is indicative of a certain attitude, but I am tired of people who think everything is black and white and that stereotypes are an aid in coming to a correct conclusion.

My guess is that they are both guilty. They were both driving too fast and trying to "be first". Minibus drivers are - typically- just as every bit bad drivers as 16 year olds. They keep their transmissions centered over the lines that divide the lanes and drive like maniacs, making it frustrating for other drivers. Probably a bit of, yep, I know it's hard to believe, face-saving driving at play here.

The police/investigators have repeatedly stated that the video evidence is inconclusive and "experts" (if there are any in LOS) have conflicting conclusions. So how can they justify filing charges?

happy robert.

I am 6'2 tall & 350 pounds. My body fat, if anything is far too low. I spend several hours in the jym each day, weight training. I have massive muscles and a shaved head. I have lovely tattoos in all the right place, I seldomly smile & most people that meet me say I am very scarey looking.

I've never been in a fight and never hurt anybody. I like to cuddle small fury animals & i also like my belly being rubbed. I goto church all the time & in my spare time I assist those less fortunate than myself.

Is there a particular type of car that you think is driven by people who are always drive very safely, if so, what do you think about people that sometimes drive one of those vehicle and at other time drive a van?

Perhaps you might like to re-examine the casting of that net you are throwing over all 'van drivers' because let me tell you, thats a very broad brush you are painting with. ;) Happy new year to you.

Edited by neverdie

happy robert.

I am 6'2 tall & 350 pounds. My body fat, if anything is far too low. I spend several hours in the jym each day, weight training. I have massive muscles and a shaved head. I have lovely tattoos in all the right place, I seldomly smile & most people that meet me say I am very scarey looking.

I've never been in a fight and never hurt anybody. I like to cuddle small fury animals & i also like my belly being rubbed. I goto church all the time & in my spare time I assist those less fortunate than myself.

Is there a particular type of car that you think is driven by people who are always drive very safely, if so, what do you think about people that sometimes drive one of those vehicle and at other time drive a van?

Perhaps you might like to re-examine the casting of that net you are throwing over all 'van drivers' because let me tell you, thats a very broad brush you are painting with. ;) Happy new year to you.

will u never die? (: exept the .2 feet I can double that post but I guess what he meant. MOST Minibusdrivers are just a ridiculous bunch of w-kers and they mostly drive with a telephone on their ear, way to fast and reckless changing lanes like they are on the run. MOST of them give a sh1t of their passengers and their safety. Happy new year to you too :jap:

Wish sometimes the TVmods could merge some threads....i know forbidden to say something in that direction, but its not criticism ist just an idea. :ermm:

^apparently I wont, I've been shot, stabbed, electrocuted, held hostage, run over, hung, fallen of a cliff, floated at sea on debris for a day & the list goes on. I won't mention the hole in my leg because that really will get a couple of posters here going :lol: .

Yes, it can get very confusing from time to time with the threads mozi.

I think one can make flippant replies about mini bus drivers, however when it comes to a criminal investigation they no doubt will be looking at facts, thank goodness. ;)

Wish sometimes the TVmods could merge some threads....

We no longer merge threads as it breaks Google search and other search engines. Links that were expected in a specific topic that have been moved would show up as "not found" errors.

HELLO! (carried over from other mother related thread)

No Nisa, thats not what I mean because its not mentioned in the law that its against the law, I am simply trying to point out it has no legal boundary (the process of flicking ones lights).

Is that better mr dead moderator (from never dead) ? :ph34r::lol:

at the dept of transport at jatujak they told me specifically flickering the lights holds no right to go ahead on the road. they told us not to copy that trend that we often see on the roads as it causes confusion.

hope they take that into consideration....doubtful though!

You know, her body language in the photo certainly is indicative of a certain attitude, but I am tired of people who think everything is black and white and that stereotypes are an aid in coming to a correct conclusion.

My guess is that they are both guilty. They were both driving too fast and trying to "be first". Minibus drivers are - typically- just as every bit bad drivers as 16 year olds. They keep their transmissions centered over the lines that divide the lanes and drive like maniacs, making it frustrating for other drivers. Probably a bit of, yep, I know it's hard to believe, face-saving driving at play here.

The police/investigators have repeatedly stated that the video evidence is inconclusive and "experts" (if there are any in LOS) have conflicting conclusions. So how can they justify filing charges?

it might help if you read at least some of the earlier posts, then you might guess differently.

"So how can they justify filing charges?" The honda driver is 16, driving under-age, unlicenced, without insurance (due to previous 2 offences), admits speeding, and claims that she flashed her lights but the van made an unsafe lane change. If she had braked instead of trying to force her way through, 9 people would most probably be alive. But she's hi-so and they were mere wannabe's, let's give her an <deleted> medal.

it might help if you read at least some of the earlier posts, then you might guess differently.

"So how can they justify filing charges?" The honda driver is 16, driving under-age, unlicenced, without insurance (due to previous 2 offences), admits speeding, and claims that she flashed her lights but the van made an unsafe lane change. If she had braked instead of trying to force her way through, 9 people would most probably be alive. But she's hi-so and they were mere wannabe's, let's give her an <deleted> medal.

No denying your points there! If I received 5 baht for every rude BMW driver that has ever cut me off, I'd have enough cash to retire rich myself.

There are a lotta things stacked against her, hope they take that into regard over who her father is.

I do recall a hot headed young man, son of a former miss thailand who killed a woman and injured others..he got off the hook with merely paying some fines.....