Work Permits & Penang - Take Care!

Hi DavieA,

Sorry about the wasted trip. After your wasted experience in Penang, I am having the lawyers I am working with re-check to make sure that I don't need the WP3. Paranoia breeds success around here.

Steve, I wish I had a 60 multiple entry, I would be banging at your door to get this thing converted right now. I'm losing time, energy, money and the biggest -enthusiam - trying to make sure I get this right the first time around.

Chok dii khrappom!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DavieA,

Sorry about the wasted trip.  After your wasted experience in Penang, I am having the lawyers I am working with re-check to make sure that I don't need the WP3.  Paranoia breeds success around here. 

Steve, I wish I had a 60 multiple entry, I would be banging at your door to get this thing converted right now.  I'm losing time, energy, money and the biggest -enthusiam - trying to make sure I get this right the first time around.

Chok dii khrappom!

So does Penang issue 60 day tourist visas ?

If they do and transferring a 60 day tourist visa into a B visa is so easy then surely this is the answer ? Although I have to say it all sounds too easy to be true.

Does anyone know yet if the Manila Embassy will require the WP3 form ? I have heard the rule applies to all Asian countries ?

Hi all,

I would appreciate a few pertinent replies to this one if you would, maybe a little more complex than the basic first off visa!!

I had a non B visa multiple entry last year. As a teacher I then got a 9 month extention of stay & WP which I had to return & which expired the end of June. I then went home and stupidly didn't get a new one sorted then. So I have travelled around Thailand as a Tourist etc but now have found a lot less stressful position so need a new Imm.B issued. So yes I have had all of the work stuff before but not with continuation or currently!!!!

Does this mean as they look at my passport the same sort of scrutiny in Penang? I was going to turn up this coming Monday morning with a letter from my new school and my photos and basically all the easy stuff. After reading this thread I'm now uneasy that this is not going to be enough, and will try and get a copy of the school's proof of registration/license or whatever tomorrow, but if I need tax stuff and the kitchen sink as listed for 'normal businesses then I'll leave it for now.

This really does piss me off along no doubt with many others, the hassle in getting all this first time especially at the local anti-immigration office was bad enough :o

Anyway any advice would be appreciated. On a last point is there any reason as long as I pay for it, while I cannot get a 4 entry visa incase the job turns sour- at least it means finding another won't have to entail yet another trip to the now infamous Penang. :D

Regards

MAK

Edited by makavelithedon

Just returned from Penang last night hoping to get a Non-B but the agency I used said the Thai embassy is adamant about the requirements of company registration, tax records, sponsor letter, etc, etc.

I did however obtain a double entry tourist visa so I can start the process here.

Hope that helps!

Just returned from Penang last night hoping to get a Non-B but the agency I used said the Thai embassy is adamant about the  requirements of company registration, tax records, sponsor letter, etc, etc.

I did however obtain a double entry tourist visa so I can start the process here.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info,

I am going to put it off until I have more clarity as to what is required. I have gone down the e-mail route but don't expect a reply. I know there are a lot of different situations collectively represented here and it's not only me that's very annoyed about this hence the near 6 pages on this thread!!!

My boss who is a real decent Thai lady is sick to the back teeth with this rubbish, so it's not just us foreigners ever complaining. I also wonder when this filters through if there will start to be an unwillingness to employ people who haven't already aquired this visa, the paperwork seems endless to me and I know from experience on many consultations with her how many hours of her day are taken up dealing with WP red tape and irrelevant rubbish. It's twice as much as the visa work!!!!!!!!

Anyway rant over, if I get a reply which is helpful I'll post it for others in the same boat.

Regards

Mak

If you already have a 1 year non-immigrant visa, you don't go out of the country to renew it.  You do it have immigration.  You never have to leave the country if you don't want to.

As stated, this rule applies to NEW applications for Non B, not renewals.

I wasn't aware that a Non Imm B COULD be renewed.

Is this correct? I ask because mine ends in 5 weeks and I need to either renew it here in Thailand or leave the country to do so.

What's the situation, then? Can I renew it here in Thailand (I'm now working and in the process of applying for a WP), or do I have to leave Thailand with a letter from my employer and then apply for another Non Imm B from outside the country until the WP is sorted?

If you already have a 1 year non-immigrant visa, you don't go out of the country to renew it.  You do it have immigration.  You never have to leave the country if you don't want to.

As stated, this rule applies to NEW applications for Non B, not renewals.

I wasn't aware that a Non Imm B COULD be renewed.

Is this correct? I ask because mine ends in 5 weeks and I need to either renew it here in Thailand or leave the country to do so.

What's the situation, then? Can I renew it here in Thailand (I'm now working and in the process of applying for a WP), or do I have to leave Thailand with a letter from my employer and then apply for another Non Imm B from outside the country until the WP is sorted?

If you do not have a work permit you should not be working. When you have a work permit you can renew your visa (get new one) in Penang and perhaps obtain a multi entry to make it easier. If you qualify for extension of stay from immigration on a yearly basis that would be the best option but you must meet the income requirements for your nationality and have the work permit.

If you do not have a work permit you should not be working. When you have a work permit you can renew your visa (get new one) in Penang and perhaps obtain a multi entry to make it easier. If you qualify for extension of stay from immigration on a yearly basis that would be the best option but you must meet the income requirements for your nationality and have the work permit.

I seem to have this the wrong way round. My non-imm visa B expires in 5 weeks, too short a time to get the WP sorted. Can I get an extension on the basis the WP is being processed?

If so, how, where, etc?

But I have put more detail on this in a new thread. May be better to discuss it there.

I seem to have this the wrong way round. My non-imm visa B expires in 5 weeks, too short a time to get the WP sorted. Can I get an extension on the basis the WP is being processed?

If so, how, where, etc?

But I have put more detail on this in a new thread. May be better to discuss it there.

Word is this WP3 form can take 7 days to get from the Labour office ? Could anyone clarify this ?

• 4 weeks later...

For those still interested in this topic, I trekked down to the labour office yesterday to get a letter stating that the school I wish to work for actually exists, and low and behold suprise, shock, they weren't having any of it!

The first rude obnoxious lady my gf spoke too for me, barely gave her the time of day, and the white suited gent (department supervisor type) she forwarded us too, said the school has the documents to show they exist (obviously the Filapino forgery story was just not grasped) and that was that not interested, no advice just go to Penang with the documents the school gives you and it will all be straight forward enough. As usual with the anti-labour office or anti-immigration I wasted my time and got nowhere.

I am having someone phone the Bangkok embassy today on my behalf to ascertain what is required exactly before I waste 15000 baht or so to Penang and I'll let you all know! I realize the criteria maybe different for normal company B visas but still, for educators it maybe of use.

Regards

Mak.

Edited by makavelithedon

After phoning Penang directly on Friday, the most up to date news for everyone who is in the same situation is that receipt for application being made of WP3 is required for consideration of a IM B visa.

The embassy staff member was adament and it appears to me some time on before this was first reported, that there is going to be no 'settling back down' it sounds like that is it from now on.

Having told my boss she just isn't interested in entertaining getting all the paperwork etc for a WP3 application at the present time (and I know it's considerable) for me as it is a part-time position.

So, I wanted to know if all of the embassies in the surrounding area stipulate this or is the likes of Singapore just requiring A sponsorship letter and company resistration and/or license without this WP3 Docket.

I am far from an expert on this and can't understand how you can now apply for a work permit without even having a B visa?

Also on a slightly serperate issue is there a genuine reason for applying for a multiple visa e.g. 4 entries if you are meant to apply for a WP? If you wish to travel home in this period does this enable you to do so even if you have an extention of stay? As last time I did this I purchased a seperate single re-entry stamp that cost 1000baht as to not void my Extention.

Any comments on one or more appreciated.

My understanding is that you should be OK at the embassy in KL

Correct on KL as well as Singapore on a 90 day non immigrant "B" visa ( without the WP3 form.)

If you cannot meet the criteria to extend your business visa ( 4 Thais employed per wp at least at 5,250 per month, minimum salary for your nationality) Then you should be aware after you get your WP, Singapore will NOT issue a one year multi entry visa for business even if you have a work permit.

In that case after you get the WP ( and if you do not qualify for an extension of stay) , you should go to Penang and KL along with your employers docs AND your work permit to obtain the one year multi entry visa.

www.lawyer.th.com

The embassy staff member was adament and it appears to me some time on before this was first reported, that there is going to be no 'settling back down' it sounds like that is it from now on.

I would still venture to say that things will return to "normal" in Penang sooner or later, but it sounds like it will be later rather than sooner.

Also on a slightly serperate issue is there a genuine reason for applying for a multiple visa e.g. 4 entries if you are meant to apply for a WP?

I wouldn't think so. I always thought that the multi-entry non-immigrant 'B' visa was designed for the traveling buisinessperson who does not have a job in Thailand.

Many thanks for the input guys. A couple of questions in regard KL:

Do they have the authority to issue Multiple entry B Visas?

I live in a high density Foreign worker area (many applications and two staff at the labour office) and the last WP I applied for took 17 or 18 weeks to process all in all, so I want a X2 multiple visa if possible.

Anyone took a plane there and is it very far from the airport to the consulate/embassy?

Many thanks in advance

Mak.

Edited by makavelithedon