Work Permits & Penang - Take Care!

I just heard from a friend tonight that 2 days ago he obtained a B visa from Penang with just an application and his passport - through a tour agency. He didn't even have to go to the embassy himself.

Am not sure though whether his was a renewal or a new visa.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snip>

Please, I would like to encourage those of you who know something about the current situation, or can figure out what is the document Penang wants.  Especially you, Scott, you seem to be able to find the most info on this soon.  I have not booked my plane tickets yet because of this, but maybe I should just book them for Tuesday, in case I need to make an emergency visit to a Ministry somewhere on Monday.  I love the fact that these Ministry's are moving all the way out to Nontaburi, nice and convenient.

I feel like this document from the Department of Registered Commerse is probably what they are looking for, but until someone can step up with some real idea, I just have that feeling like I may be wasting a trip to Penang. 

Thanks for anyone who can put a real clarity on this.

JML, dont know if it suits your timeframe but I am going to Panang on Sunday to apply for my B on Monday, I have no choice but to try. I will jump on the net while I am there and give everybody the latest details about any probs.

Thanks for the other info by the way.

On another subject.....does anyone know how much a B visa for 3 months/1 year costs?

:o

Mo at NJ (agent) is saying (we're a school) we need to give an extra bit of paper with a list of all the foreigners that hold work permits that work for us. I don't know the exact name, but someone on here should. And the person that Mo told this to was a Westerner (British) so it's not just a Filipino/Filipina thing.

Probably best if they knock you back on Non-imm B to get a tourist Visa (single, double or triple depending on how soon you reckon you're going to get your WP) and then get your employer to help you 'convert' it to a Non-imm B once you're back in Thailand!

This thread is incredible. My big mouth will flap on that as well, but after the important stuff.

First, DavieA, thanks for the offer. Not on purpose, I am now going on Tuesday night, back on Friday. It just ended up being cheaper, and I would not have to spend too much time there.

I think you might be needing that document I mentioned in my original post. I know, that it is too late for you now, but if I were you, I would bring your company's phone number, and if there are any problems see if they can fax a copy to you if they have one.

I got info from a friend of mine:

Get to the Embassy well BEFORE 10:00 AM. A 1 year Non-imm will cost 500 ringit. He suggested bring some extra ringit in case there are any other charges, but said that should take care of it. You will have to pick it up the following afternoon, after 1:00. Apparently it should be pretty easy and smooth.

But if you get a chance, before 5:00 PM on Tuesday, let me know! PM me even.

Optional Material On:

As for the rest ... what is this crap? Ok, after the first person who flamed the first flamer, the joke was up. After the second, he should know he is a moron. But now nobody who could help wants to read this thread, especially now that rodcourt (you racist, prejudiced prick!) responded ... agh, go back and beat your girlfriend. I'm a YANK, and even worse ... my mom was a JEW - does this make it worse? What IS your problem?

Rant off, sorry, I just can't stand uncalled for (and sometimes, even called for) prejudiced behavior and thought - there are ingorant people in every country, just as rodcourt proved ... it is not limited only to us Yanks.

:Optional Material Off

Thanks to all of you who have tried to help, the uncertainty in these kind of situations is never very fun.

Just got from Penang. There were 20 ppl just like me with current Non iB and all were refused new visa. We were told to bring W.P. 3 form from Labour Dept. and that NEW regulation are in place from last Friday. They also issued us 30 day Tourist visa and charged 1000 baht for it. Bummers.

W.P. 3 from was nessesary only for applicants from certain Middle East countries, but i am afraid it will be across the board now.

How about other locations?

Barcode- Three questions: What is your nationality/citizenship? From what Thai diplomatic post did you obtain your previous non-immigrant B visa? Didyou have copies of employing company registration documents including a company registration printout issued by Commercial Registration office within the past six months?

WP3 has not just been required for Middle Eastern citizens - it has long been a requirement for citizens of the Philippines, Indonesia, India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan - and for these countries, the initial non-immigrant "B" was only suppiosed to be available by returning to home country - and was not supposed to be available at a "third-country" Thai diplomatic post.

'Sorry you had problems.

Steve

Indo-Siam

If you already have a 1 year non-immigrant visa, you don't go out of the country to renew it.  You do it have immigration.  You never have to leave the country if you don't want to.

This is not true, I have had a work permit for 3 years now, and I have been denied an extension on my 1 year visa 3 different times.

The immigration in Bangkok requires so many documents (over 20) to get the extension on your visa.

And the immigration officer would always find something wrong with one of the documents, citing some obscure regulation, and send me back to change it.

Basically, the underlining meaning was, use a visa service, and they will split there commision with me, otherwise I am going to play the run around game with you.

TIT

Finally I just gave up and said screw it, I will just take a vacation outside of Thailand once a year, and get a new visa.

Thanks guys for the information! Glad I had to put off my trip until Tuesday.

For this WP3, are there Thai letters for this? What exactly is it, in case I need to describe it to my contacts. I am just hoping that this "WP" does not stand for work permit, as this would ruin the whole point of me getting the Visa first!

And second, can someone tell me how I can get a WP3? Where from (where is the labor department - I can probably find this on my own, but it is not on my list of departments I am looking at)? And who needs to authorize the distributing of this, i.e. can I do it myself, or do I have to have a representative of the company do it?

I will have 1.5 days to get this document before I go, and I would rather not trust my contacts, as I know their answer will be "we gave you everything you need". Which won't be much of a consolidation after I have flown all the way down there for a tourist visa I could have gotten from Cambodia!

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks a million.

You need a heap of documents from the company as well as the diploma for your highest education completed, as well as other educations and jobs you have had relating to the occupation, and you will not be able to get a WP3 in 1.5 days - I believe it will take a working week (5 days) to process it, but this may of course depend on where you apply.

WP3 is sometimes described as a 'temporary work permit', but it is intended for aliens to hand in together with their application for a Non-Immigrant B Visa at a Thai embassy or consulate outside the Kingdom. In other words, you are not allowed to work on it, and once you have got your Non-B approved and returned to Thailand, you need to reapply for a regular work permit (but with slightly less documents than normal, it was explained to me).

The labour department in most cities will be located in Sala Glang (City Hall).

Hi Meadish Sweetball and others ...

So what I am hearing is that Penang is out of the question to get a Non-Imm B, and I will have to eat my ticket to Malaysia (Asia Air is not famous for their customer service). There is no way I could even get my diploma, let alone the rest.

Just because this is really not a good situation I am in (having a plane ticket, and needing to complete this fairly quickly), I just want to verify:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I do have a 13 page document from the Department of Registered Commerce. This includes (along with my best non-lawyer guesses at the translations):

หนังสือรับรอง: Guarantee Booklet

รายละเอียดวัตถุที่ประสงค์: Details of Company's Charter

หนังสือบริคณห์สนธิ: Company Prospectus

คำรับรองลายมือชื่อของพยาน: Witness's Signatures

สำเนาบัญชีรายชื่อผู้ถีอหุ่น:Copy of Shareholder Record

ภ.พ.01: Tax Document from April

ภ.พ.03: What appears to be several months of these tax documents

กรมสรรพากร: Certificate from the Revenue Department

But of course, all of this is photocopied.

Is this really not enough? I am a US citizen, and someone mentioned the WP3 was for a certain block of countries. Are they just applying this to all now? Possible this question is rhetorical until/unless I try and fail myself. Does someone have a friend in immigration that we can ask about this?

Sorry for all the questions, it is just right now I don't have the time (and at the exact present moment) the money to waste on trips to Malaysia that don't have any benefit.

Regardless of being able to answer ... have a great one!

Hello Everyone!

Looks like luck was with me on this one! Thanks to the original poster, and thanks for the rest of you to give me enough doubt to change my ticket to Penang at the last moment (actually, I was under the 48 hours to change it, but Air Asia let me do it because I was only under by 1.5 hours).

I just got hold of the Thai Consulate in Malaysia with the phone numbers I listed before.

Yes, they are requiring a WP3.

Here is almost exactly what the guy told me:

You company needs to go to the labor department, and contact them about getting company validation. When they do this, he said they will get a receipt, and the receipt is called a WP3. I can take this, along with all the other stuff I had and be guaranteed a visa.

How accurate is his information? I don't know, but what I do know is that he confirmed that I will definitely be needing the WP3 if I don't want to turn my trip to Penang into a waste of time or a simple, short vacation.

Now if I can just get someone at the company to get on top of this for me ...

Have a great one!

Ok my friends, you especially JML.

I am currently in Penang as I write now applying for my non I B visa, and yes I can confirm there are problems with it and it applies to all countries of origin.

All I came with was a letter from my sponsering company (as I did last year), my company told me that was all I needed even after telling them what I'd read on this forum.

But as it turns out, you do need to have a WP3 form accompanying your letter if you want to get 1 year B visa.

The lovely and helpful Indian man doing my visa stuff for me said this morning that he cannot guarantee a 1 year visa for me. He said that he MAY be able to get me 3 months max without a WP3 form. He may even only get me a 1 month tourist visa.....so I sit here in waiting to see what the outcome will be. As for needing any other documents, I don't think so.

He told me all this came into play on the 15th August this month after a group of Philipinos forged a company letter and the government found that the company did not exist. Basically from what I can make out, the WP3 is a letter from the Thai gov saying that the company is registered and legal.

cheers folks!

Edited by DavieA

I am going to Penang tuesday to get my multi 1 year B

From what I understand I will receive because I ahave a wp4 and a gov. letter showing my company in good standing plus 3 past months vat etc.

Hopefully I wiil get

I will let all know

Thanks DavieA!!

Very much appreciate the update. I hope you get the non-Imm B single entry at the least, because with this you can get you Work Permit. At the end of the 3 months, you will then have to go back to Penang to get the rest of your year. But this is standard these days. Just pray for the Non-Imm B single entry at the minimum!!

I found out some more information:

I called the Ministry of Labor:

Thank god I speak Thai. They referred me to this number:

02.248.3388 - from them I got the final number:

02.245.2745 (also 02.245.3209)

The woman I talked there knew what she was doing, it seemed. She told me the WP3 (Waw Paw Saam) needed to be applied for where she was. She said it would be sufficient for the company owner to call up there, and give certain information. The the process would take 7 days (she swore, no longer than 7 days) to get the WP3. But she said the process was pretty easy.

It will help if the person who calls speaks Thai.

Mainly, I am just documenting this for other's future use, in case this becomes necessary again. Take this information for what it is worth ... some guy you don't know, speaking in a foreign language to government officials ... but I promise this is correct to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Have a great one!

And DavieA, let me know what the final outcome is, I'm rootin' for ya.

Very much appreciate the update.  I hope you get the non-Imm B single entry at the least, because with this you can get you Work Permit.  At the end of the 3 months, you will then have to go back to Penang to get the rest of your year.  But this is standard these days.  Just pray for the Non-Imm B single entry at the minimum!!

If DavieA gets a non-Imm B single entry, can't he apply at the local Immigration Bureau for a one-year extension?

Just wondering.

I suppose that the Labor Ministry can change their procedures as they see fit, but - according to their published guidance, it takes a LOT more than a phone call to obtain a W.P. 3

I am attaching PDF versions of the W.P.3 instruction sheet, application form, and required supporting forms.

This process actually requires more employer-generated documentation than a full work permit. So - my firm charges pretty much the same fee fora W.P.3 as for a work permit itself.

If anyone wants assistance in preparing and processing a W.P.3 application packet, please contact Khun "Beer" at 02-260-3914 - and be prepared to bring all required supporting documents to our office - located as shown at: http://www.thaistartup.com/contact.html

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

WP3Instruc.pdf

WP3Applica.pdf

WP3EmployCert.pdf

WP3EducExper.pdf

WP3CommenceWork.pdf

WP3PowerAtt.pdf

WP3PowerAtt.pdf

OK, so a WP3 is needed for Penang...............how about KL, HK, Singapore etc.........have the rules changed there too..............???

Not sure about this andyfletch but to be on the safe side I would have everything prepared. I don't think the Thai government could tell you either, they have no idea how their own country runs...<snip.>

I am going to Penang tuesday to get my multi 1 year B

From what I understand I will receive because I ahave a wp4 and a gov. letter showing my company in good standing plus 3 past months vat etc.

Hopefully I wiil get

I will let all know

Snappa, think you should be ok, but it wouldn't hurt you to have the WP3 too, talk to your boss quickly!

Thanks DavieA!!

Very much appreciate the update.  I hope you get the non-Imm B single entry at the least, because with this you can get you Work Permit.  At the end of the 3 months, you will then have to go back to Penang to get the rest of your year.  But this is standard these days.  Just pray for the Non-Imm B single entry at the minimum!!

Have a great one!

And DavieA, let me know what the final outcome is, I'm rootin' for ya.

Thanks JML, it's 12.55pm....an hour and a half to go. The suspense is killing me!

If I only end up with a tourist visa, do you reckon it would be fair to ask my boss to cover my expenses for a wasted trip? If not, at the very least, I got 2 days off school and a nice little trip to Penang.

Not a bad place this one, Penang. It's been a refreshing change to meet sincere English speaking people with real smiles that care and aren't trying to pull one over on you every second as you walk through the streets.

Will give you the outcome asap.

Hi DavieA,

I hope at this point in time you are in a good mood, and not a bad one.

This is like a Muay Thai match, things are changing by the second.

The lawyer company I am working with on this did a bunch of calls to Penang today. What they lawyer told me is that I don't need to have a WP3 now ... it appears there have been too many complaints or problems or something - although that is just a guess on my part. This information came from a คุณเรือง (Khun Reung) at the consulate. I made them tell me his name so I would have someone to talk to who had a reference if I had a problem.

What the lawyers were told to tell me was that I need to bring along my "เอกสารบริษัท", or company documents with me (as the company and these documents will be completed on this upcoming Monday), and this should be sufficient for the 3 month, single entry visa.

So the saga continues. All I can say is that I am glad I paid 2000 baht to change my plane ticket, and I am glad that robsamui wrote this down. Of course, there is a chance that if I had not known, I would not have worried, and there may not have been a problem. Maybe I have put too much time into this? But we won't think about that, now will we!

Have a great one!

Hi DavieA,

I hope at this point in time you are in a good mood, and not a bad one.

Well JML and others interested. I didn't get my B visa. All they would even think about was a 2 month tourist visa because of this WP3. So I am now back at school today officially working illegally on a tourist visa, with no WPermit. I called my boss and he hasn't heard of the new rules so I guess it's another one of Thailands great procedure changes that they fail to communicate to their own people in a position to recruit. I suppose it's also partly my bosses fault for not checking but IMHO if immigration decide to change critical procedures like this at the drop of a hat, the ownus is on them to tell.

So anyone wishing to go to Penang for a B visa, be advised to have the dreaded WP3 with you.

Not all at a loss though. When I get my WP3 I get another few days off school to spend in pleasurable Penang. It's a refreshing change from the mystrious and chaotic LOFS(Land of fake smiles). The first time for me out of Thailand in a year and a half, and was sooooo nice to meet sincere lovely people that pride on their service and give consistant fair prices. I think somehow over time I had become complacent to Thailands scams and way of life and took it for the norm and as acceptable. Now after spending 3 days in Penang, it was a bit of a wake up call, and a realisation that Thailand, for me anyway, has lost alot of it's appeal.

The other bonus is, because I don't have a WPermit, I won't pay tax this month!

Nice day folks

DavieA -

Immigration has nothing whatsoever to do with the visa situation, or the WP 3 requirement.

Thai diplomatic posts outside Thailand are run by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Immigration is part of the Police Depertment, which falls under Ministry of Interior. Labor Office is under Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare.

So - don't criticize the wrong agency. Immigration has nothing to do with the current situation.

No matter how many thousands of times people on ths board talk about "visa extensions" - don't listen to it. There IS NO SUCH THING as a visa extension. Visas cannot be extended. It is ENTRY PERMITS that can be extended.

Visas and entry permits are vaguely interrelated, but are issued by completely diferent organizations.

Now - if you have an entry permit issued against a 60 day tourist visa, and you want to convert it to a Class B entry permit, and then get a work permit - my company can handle this process for you. This is entirely doable. The thing that we cannot do is convert a 30 day "entry upon arrival" into a Class B entry permit.

This appliesto everyone - if you got a 60-day tourist visa instead of a Class B visa, and you have all the proper employment documentation - we can arrange for your tourist entry prmit to be converted to a non-immigrant Class B entry permit. Just contact Khun Beer at 02-260-3914.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

DavieA -

Immigration has nothing whatsoever to do with the visa situation, or the WP 3 requirement.

Thai diplomatic posts outside Thailand are run by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Immigration is part of the Police Depertment, which falls under Ministry of Interior.  Labor Office is under Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare.

So - don't criticize the wrong agency.  Immigration has nothing to do with the current situation.

No matter how many thousands of times people on ths board talk about "visa extensions" - don't listen to it.  There IS NO SUCH THING as a visa extension. Visas cannot be extended.  It is ENTRY PERMITS that can be extended.

Visas and entry permits are vaguely interrelated, but are issued by completely diferent organizations.

Now - if you have an entry permit issued against a 60 day tourist visa, and you want to convert it to a Class B entry permit, and then get a work permit - my company can handle this process for you.  This is entirely doable.  The thing that we cannot do is convert a 30 day "entry upon arrival" into a Class B entry permit.

This appliesto everyone - if you got a  60-day tourist visa instead of a Class B visa, and you have all the proper employment documentation - we can arrange for your tourist entry prmit to be converted to a non-immigrant Class B entry permit.  Just contact Khun Beer at 02-260-3914.

Cheers!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com

Sounds like your pretty clued up to the legallities of Thailands visa laws steve, a ###### of a lot more than me!

So sorry for seemingly critisising the wrong agency, but in all honesty, I have no idea what agency does what! I am simply a teacher that relies on my agency to do all my paperwork for me, and it's written in my contract that they will take care of everything on my behalf. So I just follow their instructions.

Thanks for the info and number to call, will give it a try.

Regards

I love the timing on this.  :o

All right guys, I need some urgent help on this.  I am leaving next week (trying to get my plane tickets today or tomorrow) to go to Penang to get my first Non-immigrant visa.  And soon after, work permit. 

I have:

My current passport and stamps (of course)

A Sponsor letter from the company

A Visa Application form

And ... a photocopied:

กรมทะเบียนการค้า

ใบสำคัญแสดงการจดทะเบียนห้างหุ้นส่วนบริษัท

I can roughly translate this to:

Department of Registered Commerce (not Ministry of Commerse)

Proof Of Company Share and Registration

Again, this is just a photocopy.

Is there something else that I need?  What would that be, and how would I get it? 

Any urgent help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Im in JML's shoe's.

I am going to Panang this Sunday for a non I B. All I have is a letter from the sponsering company.

Is this going to be sufficient?

Can I obtain an application form while I'm there?

Do I need photos etc?.....My sponser hasn't mentioned anything else other than go to Panang and get a visa.

All this talk has got me worried....

HELP!

:D

Why don't people go to perth where you only need a copy of the front page of your passport and one passport foto. I have done this succesfully twice. the consulate only opens on tuesdays and thursdays. if you get to the consulate before 10 am they will prosses your application and return it after lunch. The office is in a solicitors office on the 6th floor of 26 St Georges terrace which is near the swan river. all you need is 225 $AS. A resonable priced hotel will cost 75 $AS or you can stay in Central backpackers from 12 $AS. If you book your trip with a travel agent for flights only you will find the flights cost 23- 26,000 Thb, There some three day trips with accomadation for around the same price but the days may not co-inside with the opening times of the consulate.

Expensive but a lot less hassel for the small business.

Why don't people go to perth where you only need a copy of the front page of your passport and one passport foto. I have done this succesfully twice.

I think you may have answered your own question. You may have done this painless procedure successfully twice in Perth but on your third trip, you may arrive one week after a group of Filipinos (or whoever) have just forced a change in the rules for everybody that follows. This unforeseen event is basically what's happened visa applicants with a planned trip to the Thai consulate in Penang.

I love the timing on this.  :o

All right guys, I need some urgent help on this.  I am leaving next week (trying to get my plane tickets today or tomorrow) to go to Penang to get my first Non-immigrant visa.  And soon after, work permit. 

I have:

My current passport and stamps (of course)

A Sponsor letter from the company

A Visa Application form

And ... a photocopied:

กรมทะเบียนการค้า

ใบสำคัญแสดงการจดทะเบียนห้างหุ้นส่วนบริษัท

I can roughly translate this to:

Department of Registered Commerce (not Ministry of Commerse)

Proof Of Company Share and Registration

Again, this is just a photocopy.

Is there something else that I need?  What would that be, and how would I get it? 

Any urgent help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Im in JML's shoe's.

I am going to Panang this Sunday for a non I B. All I have is a letter from the sponsering company.

Is this going to be sufficient?

Can I obtain an application form while I'm there?

Do I need photos etc?.....My sponser hasn't mentioned anything else other than go to Panang and get a visa.

All this talk has got me worried....

HELP!

:D

Why don't people go to perth where you only need a copy of the front page of your passport and one passport foto. I have done this succesfully twice. the consulate only opens on tuesdays and thursdays. if you get to the consulate before 10 am they will prosses your application and return it after lunch. The office is in a solicitors office on the 6th floor of 26 St Georges terrace which is near the swan river. all you need is 225 $AS. A resonable priced hotel will cost 75 $AS or you can stay in Central backpackers from 12 $AS. If you book your trip with a travel agent for flights only you will find the flights cost 23- 26,000 Thb, There some three day trips with accomadation for around the same price but the days may not co-inside with the opening times of the consulate.

Sorry Phuket Mike, I think you've misunderstood the thread.

Why would I want to go all the way to Australia, when I already live in Thailand and only need to pop to Penang to get a visa. Your sure right when you say it's expensive!