Panthip Versus Akihabara?

otissp

I want to buy a new high-end laptop. Considering this model from powerbuy:

http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetailPage.aspx?Prod_Code=PWB000178594

But not specifically set on that model. Something like that.

I'm headed to Japan at the end of the week. Anyone have an idea, is it worth heading to Panthip to look at models, or should I wait until Im in Japan and look in Akihabara?

Downside of buying in japan is the hassles of paying thai customs duty to bring it back to thailand.

I've heard in general that high-end notebooks in thailand tend to be over-priced. Checking out similar models of Vaio for sale in the US, it does seem the thai price is a bit inflated.

Any ideas?

No problem with customs, just get rid of the packaging, last time I came to Thailand I was carry a near new laptop and an older one, customs did not care. If they stop you just say it is not new (you will have used it by then so not a lie), just make sure you get international warranty.

Did they actually inspect and check out your laptops? I was always quite confused by the note that any items over 20,000 baht have to be declared & duty paid. That would make it very difficult for anyone to travel to thailand. EVERYONE has a laptop these days, not to mention cameras, iPads, etc.... followed properly, this rule would mean nearly everyone has to queue up and pay taxes on their personal possessions when they come to thailand. Do they care, then, only if it looks new/in original packaging?

Just forget about the laptop in your bag, just like everyone else. Like you said everyone has a laptop - don't worry about it.

As for prices, just compare Pantip prices with USA prices, e.g. sites like tigerdirect, newegg, these are usually setting a sort of bottom line on price, they're cheaper than any stores in the USA, and that usually means cheaper than anywhere in the world with the possible exception of HK and Singapore.

In my experience high end electronics are hard to find at pantip so Japan might be a better place. I wouldn't expect Akihabara to be cheaper though. Japan is not cheap, the Yen is high, etc.

I went through the declare lane before and they ask is it new or secondhand, told them SH and they said no problem.

IMO that's a mistake. Every single traveler has a laptop, what's the big deal? When dealing with customs, the primary concern is to blend in. If you don't, you only create trouble for yourself. I am sure a laptop or any other electronics device brought for personal use does not incur customs duties - if not by law, then by the application of it. Think about it this way if customs wanted to collect money on laptops, why not stop every single traveler - they'd have a > 50% success rate, I am sure. They'd also piss off everyone, and the TAT would tell them to stop... ;)

Example a good friend of mine, an older Doctor from Austria once had the brilliant idea of walking up to the customs officer and say "hello!". He promptly got pulled over and searched for the better part of an hour... (he didn't have anything). That was entering Canada, but same thing here.

Edited by nikster

The comments about customs are logical, though they do contradict the plain text that stares at every traveller as they enter thailand. Posted clearly on the wall "All possessions greater in value than 20,000 THB must be declared and duty paid, or you can go to prison and/or pay a fine, and forefeit the item". Words to that effect.

It's reassuring to know they don't actually apply this, though, when they find items such as laptops.

If you are really worried set the clock at a year ago when you buy the computer then load your operating system, any data then added will reflect the date of a year ago thus make it look 2nd hand. When you get back here you can reload and you are done. I often walk in and out with two and have never had a problem. I also find HK cheaper than Thailand and international warranties apply.

You should know that the Power Buy description of that laptop is wrong.

The i7-640M runs at 2.8ghz, not 3.46ghz.

Also keep in mind that the CPUs in most laptops are upgradable as well as the RAM - the graphics cards are not.

That GT330M graphics chipset isn't powerful enough to really do anything with. If I were you I would find a system with less RAM and a decent graphics card like a GTX460 or HD 5850.