Farang Food In Chalong

petercallen

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no.

Fatty gives you a lot of food for cheap, but the quality is pretty poor

Fatty is good and not that bad quality, you cant beat full house every day. :angry:

They only time i have been to Fattys was when my wife was away and i wanted to try there Sunday roast.

I arrived at 12.30 and was told they had sold out and i would have to pre order.

I have never been to any restaurant anywhere where you have to book in front for a Sunday roast meal :o

They only time i have been to Fattys was when my wife was away and i wanted to try there Sunday roast.

I arrived at 12.30 and was told they had sold out and i would have to pre order.

I have never been to any restaurant anywhere where you have to book in front for a Sunday roast meal :o

Did not even know they did Sunday roast but i can understand if they sold out, good and cheap food

The Green Man is pretty bad.

Some friends and I went there to have some drinks and food on a promotion evening. My girlfriend was drinking wine because it was on the promo menu for a good price(not sure exactly how much) but when we got the bill it was 4x the price! They're excuse was that they had run out of the cheaper wine and had substituted it for a more expensive one and not told us! It was eventually but badly dealt with, and our friends all have similar stories.

It feels quite like an English pub though. Has anyone seen the league of gentleman? whistling.gif

Reminds me of Friendship Beach. The food is OK (but expensive) and the four of us went there a couple of times before being told (the next time we went) that that they had undercharged us on our previous visit so it would be added to our bill!

Un-suprisingly none of us could remember our previous bill (that was a couple of thousand baht), so couldn't argue about it - we just paid the 'added on amount' to our bill.

We've never been back since....

Try and get a seat in Fatty's after 18:30 !!! Crap restaurants don't get much return custom, that place is always full. None if it is passing trade.

Best Sunday roast - Happy Days on the Chalong pier road, about as close to what your mum could make as makes no diference. Yorkshire puds to die for. Now she has a new beef supplier I've switched back from the excellent pork. I would say, though that the rest of the menu is ordinary, at best.

Whole Foods at Nai Harn, expensive, but dam_n, that has got to be the best "sandwich" I have ever had.

What happened to Chues?? Has he moved?

ElPee

Not been to the greenman since the Indian cook left, 5 or 6 years ago. From what I have heard, the food has gone downhill and service really sucks.

I went to the Samkong steak house at Villa with wife and son. Nothing really special, prices are reasonable, servings are quite small.

Family restaurant is always good. Free pickles and peanuts as well.

I try to like the green man...i always give it plenty of chances....maybe the owner should vcut down the encyclopedia size menu...thats a lot of different foods that have to be kept in the freezer....its funny, that place has the worst name for food on the island...but it is a really nice venue

Edited by snamos

no.

Fatty gives you a lot of food for cheap, but the quality is pretty poor

Fatty is good and not that bad quality, you cant beat full house every day. :angry:

You have now. Figured out why yet?

Where Fatty's excels is providing home style cooked food, of good quality and quantity. Where it also excels is in it's consistency. I've been going there occasionally for the last couple of years, and if I order a Pork Cordon Bleu, it's the same this time as the last time, as the time before etc etc. That is a rarity.

However, a small story. Last night my wife took her staff for a belated New Year meal there. Belated because they were really busy (food product supply company) before New Year, and a busy first day back at work. They got there (about 8 of them) around 7 pm, and probably left about 8.30-9. My wife reckons they'd done towards 200 covers in that time (I think an exaggeration - but no doubt very busy). However, my wife parked her car near to a 'family mart', and after leaving and travelling home (we live in Chalong) she found she had problems with one of her tyres. I came and picked her up, and my Fortuner jack is too large for her Vios company car. So, this morning her delivery driver picked her up at home before her rounds and took her back to where the car was left. It was found that all four tyres had been tampered with.

The wife phoned Fatty's wife (whom we know reasonably well) and told her the story, and his wife said that a few customers had reported the same kind of problem when parking near the Family Mart. Dangerous game to play, messing around with peoples tyres, and with potentially fatal consequences.

Edited by pagallim

Where Fatty's excels is providing home style cooked food, of good quality and quantity. Where it also excels is in it's consistency. I've been going there occasionally for the last couple of years, and if I order a Pork Cordon Bleu, it's the same this time as the last time, as the time before etc etc. That is a rarity.

However, a small story. Last night my wife took her staff for a belated New Year meal there. Belated because they were really busy (food product supply company) before New Year, and a busy first day back at work. They got there (about 8 of them) around 7 pm, and probably left about 8.30-9. My wife reckons they'd done towards 200 covers in that time (I think an exaggeration - but no doubt very busy). However, my wife parked her car near to a 'family mart', and after leaving and travelling home (we live in Chalong) she found she had problems with one of her tyres. I came and picked her up, and my Fortuner jack is too large for her Vios company car. So, this morning her delivery driver picked her up at home before her rounds and took her back to where the car was left. It was found that all four tyres had been tampered with.

The wife phoned Fatty's wife (whom we know reasonably well) and told her the story, and his wife said that a few customers had reported the same kind of problem when parking near the Family Mart. Dangerous game to play, messing around with peoples tyres, and with potentially fatal consequences.

Seems to be a problem all over Phuket whereby people claim public land outside their business as their own personal fiefdom.

If you are after a hearty "Super Breakfast" a la the old Don's, hit the Breakfast Hut on the way to Nai Harn Beach.

Scottish John and his wife have that one down.

Still not as good as Kallot restaurant.

Yeah, you have tried both I'm assuming?

O.K., I'm going to Kallots for the big breakfast tomorrow, will compare.

You owe KB if it's not as good !!!!

The reason I like Kallots over Breakfast Hut is that I prefer some toast, not two slices from a baguette.

Captain hooks near ninas car rentals and sailor restaraunt in chalong beats fatty's hands down!

what do you recommend for food there? large portions?

I can also recomend "Captain Hook" very consistant quality helpings not as big as Fattys but quality better, Tamarind bar further down the road on the water front also very good,

The reason I like Kallots over Breakfast Hut is that I prefer some toast, not two slices from a baguette.

I eat at breakfast hut every single morning and have for about 1 year and I always got actual toast and never some baguette slice. You are thinking of Morning coffee, they have the baguette slice, not toasted.

I can also recomend "Captain Hook" very consistant quality helpings not as big as Fattys but quality better, Tamarind bar further down the road on the water front also very good,

was just at Captain Hook and spended 700tbh, was quite a crowd tonight, took about 45 minutes before we got the food, the girl who served and took our orders was rude and that the portions were half the size at the Fattys.

only positive was that the steak was good, but extremely small portions..

I eat at breakfast hut every single morning and have for about 1 year and I always got actual toast and never some baguette slice. You are thinking of Morning coffee, they have the baguette slice, not toasted.

I think you maybe right.

Breakfast Hut, Morning coffee; easily confused.

Why can't these people come up with an easily memorable name?

I think you maybe right.

Breakfast Hut, Morning coffee; easily confused.

Why can't these people come up with an easily memorable name?

Dang KB you're on the Forum here at 12:30AM? No drinks at Laguna huh?

O.K., I'm not going to try Kallots, back to the Breakfast Hut.

The FAMILLY and SAMKONG are old established Phuket restuaants who give value for money.. good food and especially good sevice..i have known both the owners for a long time, and one thing for sure they both know how to take care of their customers.... because most of their customers are their... FREINDS...

The family restaurant is pretty average.... Its false advertising anyways...its arab food not isreali...hummos is lebanese

Captain hooks near ninas car rentals and sailor restaraunt in chalong beats fatty's hands down!

what do you recommend for food there? large portions?

Anything pork! The germans know their pork dishes....It has good servings and i think its well priced...nice setting too....not too many motorbikes buzzing past and the staff are allways good when im there!!

O.K., I'm not going to try Kallots, back to the Breakfast Hut.

Well........I decided I was going to try this Breakfast Hut, especially after so many recommendations.

With the directions given, I found the place with no problems.

Nice parking area for the bike and there were many customers.

I found a seat at a table and sat down. The ambiance was very nice; better than Kallot's.

Within a few moments, a chirpy waitress arrived with the menu. I ordered the Big Breakfast, priced within 5 Bt to Kallot's.

Coffee and juice arrived very quickly. The coffee was superb and I could see this place becoming my new breakfast place.

The breakfast arrived promptly and was set down before me.

I suddenly faced the wall so that the chirpy waitress wouldn't see the crestfallen expression on my face.

As she walked off, I took a closer look at my breakfast.

Where was the huge, doormat piece of toast, cut from a fresh, unsliced white loaf?

Instead, there were two sorry slices of the ubiquitous "medium white-sliced". Plastic bread. Not real.

My attention then wandered to the bacon. The bacon was also that cheap, streaky bacon available all over Thailand that shrivels to half it's size when cooked. It looked like there was a pile of thick, brown rubber bands on my plate.

The least I was expecting was proper back-bacon as per Kallot's.

A sorry looking tomato about the size of a small lemon sat on my plate, one side slightly singed.

Where was my big tomato sliced in two and fried? Back at Kallot's.

Even the fried eggs had been cooked within an inch of their lives. They were basically hard-boiled eggs in the shape of fried eggs.

The eggs are always cooked right at Kallot's

Very disappointed because I feel the quality in Kallots Restaurant wasn't as good as it was and I really did have high hopes for this Breakfast Hut.

Kallot's on a bad day is streets ahead of BH. Not even any mushrooms included as at Kallot's.

Edited by KarenBravo