New Thai Passport And Transfer Of Spouse Visa

Hi,

My wife's passport will expire June 2011, and current one contains spouse visa. What's the process of getting the spouse visa transferred to new passport. We are IN Thailand now.

Thanks.

spot.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

You did not state which country the visa is for, assuming it is the UK then you do not need to go to the cost of having it transfered as even though the old passport is not valid the visa will be so all you need to do is show both passports.

this question was answered in some detail buy "theoldgit" yesterday here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/430046-should-i-renew-my-passport/ (post #6)

Indeed, if the UK then there is no need to transfer the visa to a new passport.

Transferring your visa to a new passport

You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK - this will prove to our immigration officers that you have the right to be in the UK.

I don't know about other countries.

Sorry, yes it's a UK two year spouse visa.

Passport runs out June 2011, but we thought it would be better to renew while here in Thailand - we are due to leave soon.

Thanks for the answers again - as always, much appreciated.

All the best.

Spot.

UK immigration at the airport and border control will accept the old passport with visa for the ILR application, but will we have any problems with the airlines at check in, as the new passport will be used for booking?

Thanks.

spot.

Hi,

Partner got a new passport here in Bangkok.

The passport office put a stamp in the new passport stating that the visa in the old passport are still valid.

Thanks.

Spot.

Seems very easy.

Was the stamp done by the Thais when issuing the new passport or did you go to British Embassy to get it done?

was it free?

(just asking a couple of questions that my help others in the same situation).:jap:

Edited by Basil B

To be honest, 100 baht you did not need to spend.

Firstly, it is not up to the Thai authorities to say whether a UK LTE or LTR is valid or not (and vice versa).

Secondly, even if it were, the UK LTE or LTR would still be valid without this stamp.