Ubc On The Laptop Or Second Ubc Receiver?

ChiangMaiThai

TV is downstairs. Office is upstairs.

How to get UBC in the office?

A. Pay for a second receiver and hook up a TV here. Anyone know how much this costs?

B. Beam UBC from the receiver downstairs to my laptop. Is this possible? I thought I read about someone on the forum doing this. What exactly is required and how much does it cost?

Thanks!

Beyond TV can do the above setup.. Snapstream etc,...

MCE 2005 with MCE extender can also.. However setting up multi zone video servers etc is really a hobby rather than the cleanest tool..

If you dont need 2 channels at the same time you could get a RF video broadcaster and then use that to a cheap TV or video in if the laptop has it..

Beyond TV can do the above setup.. Snapstream etc,...

MCE 2005 with MCE extender can also.. However setting up multi zone video servers etc is really a hobby rather than the cleanest tool..

If you dont need 2 channels at the same time you could get a RF video broadcaster and then use that to a cheap TV or video in if the laptop has it..

Could you clarify and elaborate a bit? What is beyond TV and Snapstream? And what is MCE 2005 and MCE extender?

What is RF Video Broadcaster and how does the cheap TV or lap top receive the signal?

Thanks!

at a given time u want to watch the ubc at both places or only one?

u would need to get another receiver from UBC in case u wanna watch the TV on both locations same time.

they give some discount on second receiver onwards....

in case u wanna watch from only one location at a time/watch same channel on both the locations, you would need to draw up a composite or co-axial cable (latter preffered) from the UBC receiver (downstair) to the TV upstairs.

and u would also need to some how think of a wired solution to make the remote work from so far.

a friend once mentioned me that some device is available here which allows you to use one UBC connection at 2 or more TVs but the down side is that they all will see the same channels....probably that is what u need?

The UBC box has Video/Audio output jacks and an RF output. We have an RF cable running from the box upstairs to the TV RF (antennae) input downstairs. This only allow viewing the same channel on both sets.

For viewing on the labtop you need a video capture device (they make USB versions and probably PCMCIA). This requires the video/audio signal from the USB box, or get a TV tuner card/device and feed the RF signal to it.

Two separate channels viewing at the same time requires a 2nd UBC box.

Its digital satellite. Running a cable from downstairs to upstairs is not a real option. It can be the same channel upstairs as downstairs...

Here you go.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/wireless-rfg-3000.html

http://www.smarthome.com/vidtrans.html

http://www.electrashop.co.uk/cordless-video.htm

Wow, I didn't even know this stuff was being made. What do you think of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4G-0-1W-wireless-Vid...1QQcmdZViewItem

If the link doesn't work, its ebay item number 5801815455

They are real cheap and all over ebay. It looks like you can plug the receiver into another TV, but not a computer, correct? Worth a try? It says:

WILL NOT WORK WITH TELEWEST, NTL TYPE CABLE REMOTES ( IrDA) WHICH OPERATE AT HIGHER FREQUENCIES THAN STANDARD REMOTES.

Does anyone know if the UBC remote will work?

Also, these are all from Hong Kong. surely they are available in Thailand?

Edited by ChiangMaiThai

I found the same set that was on ebay here in Chiang Mai for 2200 baht. I would also like to be able to change the channel from upstairs too if possible. The same shop has a transmitter and receiver for the remote control for 680 baht. So I thought I had it all worked out. But the salesperson says that it only works for regular TV because it is VHF and UBC is UHF. Does this make any sense to anyone else? It doesn't seem like VHF or UHF would affect the remote.... Maybe he is misinformed?

I found the same set that was on ebay here in Chiang Mai for 2200 baht. I would also like to be able to change the channel from upstairs too if possible. The same shop has a transmitter and receiver for the remote control for 680 baht. So I thought I had it all worked out. But the salesperson says that it only works for regular TV because it is VHF and UBC is UHF. Does this make any sense to anyone else? It doesn't seem like VHF or UHF would affect the remote.... Maybe he is misinformed?

VHF or UHF would be an issue if hes talking abt the compatibility of the 2200 box which sends TV signal. <-- not an issue if the box is connected using the composite cable.

he maybe talking abt the frequency of the remote...... :o

on the other hand doesnt the remotes uses infra red?

EDIT

perhaps http://www.satthai.net/en/orb_vdo_en.htm is what u need....

seems to suit your needs in one box...comes with a remote extender...

Edited by devil_dog

VHF or UHF would be an issue if hes talking abt the compatibility of the 2200 box which sends TV signal. <-- not an issue if the box is connected using the composite cable.

he maybe talking abt the frequency of the remote...... :o

on the other hand doesnt the remotes uses infra red?

EDIT

perhaps http://www.satthai.net/en/orb_vdo_en.htm is what u need....

seems to suit your needs in one box...comes with a remote extender...

That orbsat video sender looks like what I need. I assume the 'intrared extender build-in' means that I can change the channel from upstairs?

The salesperson in CM assured me that the 2200 baht set will work with UBC. It was the remote extender for 680 baht that he said won't work as UBC is UHF. That doesn't make any sense to me. Could be another misinformed salesperson. But of course they don't do refunds or exchanges so I don't know if I want to test my theory.

I emailed SatThai to see if its available in Chiang Mai. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Orbsat Video Sender for 3000 baht. Works great and can change the channel at the second TV without walking downstairs to the UBC box. Thanks!

Does anyone who has this device know if it can be left on all the time or if it should be shut down when not in use? It does seem to be getting rather hot.

Got the Orbsat Video Sender for 3000 baht. Works great and can change the channel at the second TV without walking downstairs to the UBC box. Thanks!

Does anyone who has this device know if it can be left on all the time or if it should be shut down when not in use? It does seem to be getting rather hot.

I'm interested in this also, where did you buy it in Chiangmai?

I couldn't find it in Chiang Mai so I emailed the company who's link was posted earlier. I transferred the money via ATM and they shipped it up from BKK two days later.

Thanks for the info, will contact the company today. My plan is to use it in reverse, that is to connect it to my computer video out (composite) and transmit it to my TV upstairs. This way I can play my videos from harddisk and watch upstairs, or even my mp3s.

I couldn't find it in Chiang Mai so I emailed the company who's link was posted earlier. I transferred the money via ATM and they shipped it up from BKK two days later.

Thanks for the info, will contact the company today. My plan is to use it in reverse, that is to connect it to my computer video out (composite) and transmit it to my TV upstairs. This way I can play my videos from harddisk and watch upstairs, or even my mp3s.

Good luck. Should work fine. When you get it, let me know if you leave it on all the time or of you think it has to be turned off to prevent overheating.