Where To Keep Foreign Currency Safely

tpiety2

I have a lot of cash US$ and I don't want to leave it in my home, car, or on my person. I want to wait until the dollar is over 30 again (29.90 at Super Rich today) before converting. Bangkok bank wants 1%, SCB wants 2% for every deposit/withdrawal in a foreign currency acct.. SCB acted like they had never heard of safe deposit boxes let alone renting them and the BKK bank branches in Pattaya and Bang Lamung have them but none are available.

Any suggestions?

The USD is more likely to drop to 25 baht than ever going over 30 again. :(

would agree there, i would change now, or you might be sitting on it for a very long time !,

but you are better to keep in a secure safe in your home, and DONT TELL ANYONE that you have that amount stored there...

I'm in the same position as you. I went to Bangkok Bank last week to open a foriegn currency account, they were asking 2% on all transactions. Depending on how much you are talking about. A safe might be a good Investment.

jb1

On A lighter side , don't do what a person i know did , he thought he was being clever , he put his stash of baht notes in a hole in the ground , After a few months he returned to get some money only to find half of it had been eaten by Insects. so just be aware, about insects , mildew, and worse still robbers.

On A lighter side , don't do what a person i know did , he thought he was being clever , he put his stash of baht notes in a hole in the ground , After a few months he returned to get some money only to find half of it had been eaten by Insects. so just be aware, about insects , mildew, and worse still robbers.

Bwahahahahahaah top class, prized Idiot is your Friend !! :D

But whilst there are people like him on this Planet, the rest of us have a real chance of cracking it..;)

would agree there, i would change now, or you might be sitting on it for a very long time !,

but you are better to keep in a secure safe in your home, and DONT TELL ANYONE that you have that amount stored there...

I got 30.13 baht to $1 today at Super RICH. The dollar has been over 30 for most of the past 2 or 3 weeks.

We have a safety-deposit-box with SCB Mae-Jo, just outside Chiang Mai, costs us about B2k per year. Perhaps your local SCB-staff need to be made aware of this very-profitable service their employer offers ? I'd be happy to sub-let part of mine ! B)

Edited by Ricardo

We have a safety-deposit-box with SCB Mae-Jo, just outside Chiang Mai, costs us about B2k per year. Perhaps your local SCB-staff need to be made aware of this very-profitable service their employer offers ? I'd be happy to sub-let part of mine ! B)

I don't know about Thai safety deposit boxes, but I do know that safety deposit boxes are not insured in banks in the U.S.

You might want to check on that as well, although the incidence of loss from a deposit box might be quite small. Just a thought.

mario299 :rolleyes:

Too late. :)