Baht Bus Etiquette

Langsuan Man

Increasingly common in High Season for people to talk to Baht Bus driver and then "hire" him for special run somewhere on the route

I know that in an instance where they "kick" everyone off the bus they can go suck eggs to get their 10 Baht fare from me

What I want to know is if they change the route without announcement and I have to ring to get off once they have deviated from the route am I "required" to pay ?

Happened two times to me today. First was on Soi Buakhao from Pattaya Tai, they turned right at Pattaya Klang instead of going left towards Second Road, forcing me to walk down to Second Road

Second time got on at Beach Road at the Central Festival Mall and instead of going up to Second Road at Walking Street they continue on into Walking Street forcing me to walk to Second Road. In both instances there was a conversation with joining passengers and the driver when they were picked up

Normally I wouldn't care but broke my leg and so I am semi disabled and really can't take a motor cycle taxi

Your thoughts TV Members !

how do you know the route was unless you spoke to them?

so yes you should pay.

Granted, there is the route they will take majority of the time, but should they deviate and unless youve chartered them, you have little option.

I can sympathise though as i have got the impression on occaiaisons when its happened to me that the driver is simply being a <deleted>. :angry:

You never really know the route unless you've previously gotten the appropriate response from your hand signals or spoken to the driver. Hence, in the case above, you'll have to pay.

An exception is if you DO know the route and baht bus is unexpectedly chartered along the way. Then you get out w/o paying and look for another bus.

I think if the baht bus went to Walking street that that is actually the end of the run down Beach road. A couple times I took baht bus from soy 2 Beach road wanting to go to Mikes shopping center and the driver turned left on to Pattaya Klang. I got out and did not pay him. Nothing said. I think if you get on anywhere on Beach road you should expect to go as far as walking street. I always hope when they turn left at walking street that he stays in right lane as then I know he is going to Jomtien where I live but it is another 10 baht.

For your two examples, yes you need to pay.

That said, there are no hard rules, and riding the buses is very situational.

Another example, the other day I picked up a baht bus at North Pattaya road queue which always go to Walking Street. Well, always is a strong word, and that time, he turned left at Pattaya Klang. Pattaya Klang isn't anywhere near Walking Street, so I decided not to pay while others for their own reasons did pay. The driver was totally OK with me not paying.

Yet another example similar to one of yours going towards Walking Street, sometimes they just abort left at one of the sex sois. In that case, I would pay if I had gone a long way (even Central) but if I had gotten on at Royal Garden (which I wouldn't but some people do) and they did that, I would not pay.

You can always try one on if you think paying is unfair, but if there is a grey area and the driver gets enraged, it isn't worth fighting.

Edited by Jingthing

"the driver gets enraged, it isn't worth fighting."

That's my operating principle - it's only 10 Baht, or 30 cents in U.S. currency.

Where I come from they won't even let you look at a taxi for 30 cents let alone get aboard. A 10 minute ride to the airport is $20 ( 600 Baht )

Is it really worth a confrontation with a Tire-iron, Machete, or Pistol for 30 cents or 10 Baht? How much is your life worth?

Another problem I've seen with the Beach Road drivers - if I give them a 20 and ask for 10 Baht change-- they say "yes", then grab the 20 and take off -- Just the price of living in "paradise" . . .:blink:

I find that they assume your a tourist and try to take the piss a bit. It's happened a couple of times in the past where I have been the only one on the b bus and the driver has turned off the route stopped and asked me where I'm going and tried to charge 100 baht. Like the chap above said "its the price of living in paradise"

I can relate to this member's concern. Since I have a driver that takes me to work and back, I really don't need a car to get around in Pattaya, so I use the bant bus often on weekends. I know exactly what this man is saying. You can get in a baht bus and all at once a group of tourists (usually Russians or Indians - not knowing the system) will ask to go to a particular place paying way beyond the amount...so off the earlier passenger go (who now have to find a new driver). I just walk away unless the driver calls for me to pay. Yes, I can afford the 10 baht, but he was going down the regular route (down Beach Rd. or 2nd Rd) until these various groups hire him as a private taxi.

Happened to me the other night, too. I was coming from Jomtien towards Pattaya. A group (no, not Indian or Russian for the record, in case this makes any difference) stopped the bus and talked with the driver. We continued on for a ways but then he turned right onto Thepprasit. I buzzed and walked up to pay (I had gone quite a way) but he smiled and waved me on since he had deviated from the normal route to Pattaya. Picked up the next bus and so only had to pay the normal BHT 10 fare.

Hope your leg feels better soon, Langsuan Man! I sure would not want to be walking any farther than I had to either around here (or anywhere else for that matter!) with a broken leg.

While we are on the topic of Baht bus routes, does anyone know if there are certain numbers that identify routes? Specifically,the buses on Naklua road heading to south Pattaya that turn at Pattaya Clang.

Thanks.

That would be considered a 'system' which would requike common sense to operate so it's never going to happen.

I live in soi 1, Beach Road, and often take a baht bus towards Walking Street. 90% of the time the bus goes all the way, but occasionally they turn off at Pattaya Klang. If this happens, I ring the bell get out and pay the driver 5 baht. I specifically say "haa baht" to him or her. I've never had a problem with this as they know they've deviated off the route, and I guess 5 baht is better than nothing. I also hope it makes them realise that they've lost some money by doing this (a vain hope I know).

As far as groups chartering buses that already have passengers, yes, that happens. But often it happens when if the charterers would wait an extra minute or two they could easily find a totally empty bus to ask. Because of this, I must say I have pretty sour feelings about the selfish behavior of those trying to "hijack" an engaged bus.

Here's another one like in the OP. Let's say you take a bus from Carrefour west hoping to go to Walking Street, but it turns towards Big C instead at 2nd road. In that case, there is often a way to ask the driver where he is going with sign language pointing but most people including me just get on the bus and hope for the best. In those cases, that is a grey area kind of, but I think you should pay the 10 baht, but I also think they would usually be OK with 5 baht, understanding if you got of at the 2nd road turn, that he didn't go where you expected.

Edited by Jingthing

As far as groups chartering buses that already have passengers, yes, that happens. But often it happens when if the charterers would wait an extra minute or two they could easily find a totally empty bus to ask. Because of this, I must say I have pretty sour feelings about the selfish behavior of those trying to "hijack" an engaged bus.

Here's another one like in the OP. Let's say you take a bus from Carrefour west hoping to go to Walking Street, but it turns towards Big C instead at 2nd road. In that case, there is often a way to ask the driver where he is going with sign language pointing but most people including me just get on the bus and hope for the best. In those cases, that is a grey area kind of, but I think you should pay the 10 baht, but I also think they would usually be OK with 5 baht, understanding if you got of at the 2nd road turn, that he didn't go where you expected.

Was on a baht bus the other day which was almost full and some Indians were enquiring about a charter. Very annoying when as you say they could wait for an empty one.

My take is you should always pay even if they deviate off the route. This is especially so if you live in Pattaya as these guys may well remember you . It just ain't worth any aggravation over 10 baht.

While we are on the topic of Baht bus routes, does anyone know if there are certain numbers that identify routes? Specifically,the buses on Naklua road heading to south Pattaya that turn at Pattaya Clang.

Thanks.

That would be considered a 'system' which would requike common sense to operate so it's never going to happen.

A few years back I think they did try to implement some form of order to Baht bus routes, without much success I might add. The different coloured stripes seen at the top of the windscreens, yellow, red or green I think were supposed to give an indication of the route to be used but I never worked it out and I don't think the drivers took much notice of it either!

Was on a baht bus the other day which was almost full and some Indians were enquiring about a charter. Very annoying when as you say they could wait for an empty one.

My take is you should always pay even if they deviate off the route. This is especially so if you live in Pattaya as these guys may well remember you . It just ain't worth any aggravation over 10 baht.

In fairness, it is not always easy to see that a baht bus has passengers or not when you are flagging one down. Also, when you realise that there are passengers on there and try and wave them on the driver is aware that he is missing a charter opportunity and sometimes makes a bit of a fuss.

If Pattaya ever hopes to become even a junior-class world destination, as city-hall claims-- it would need to break the strangle-hold that the baht-bus mafia has on transport here and install at least a semi-honest taxi system like Bangkok where the drivers use a meter ( at least SOME of the time. :rolleyes: )

How many people want to travel to a sea-side "resort" to bounce around in the bed of a pick-up truck with no shock absorbers over broken roads that wrench your back every few minutes. Especially when you can't even be sure where your destination will be. My guess is NOT MANY!

The "Beach Bus" addition to Pattaya transport was a welcome addition a few years back. For only 20 baht you could ride in air-con in a comfortable seat in a vehicle that navigated the broken streets and pot-holes reasonably well. But, it appears that someone's good idea fell prey to basic Thai incompetence, like so many worthwhile ventures do.

I usually have the opposite situation where I've chartered the songthaew and they pick up passengers along the way!!!

Maybe I should charge the picked up passengers?

Now *that* would be hilarious. "That'll be 10 baht--don't worry, I'll pay the driver, just walk away at your stop." You might actually make a profit!

Of course I doubt you'd make enough to cover the hospital bill incurred when the driver figured out what was happening.

I usually have the opposite situation where I've chartered the songthaew and they pick up passengers along the way!!!

Maybe I should charge the picked up passengers?

Hmmm. I wonder what the driver would say (or what weapon he would use) if you simply deducted the assumed fares picked up during your private ride?

Edited by Jingthing

Happened to me the other night, too. I was coming from Jomtien towards Pattaya. A group (no, not Indian or Russian for the record, in case this makes any difference) stopped the bus and talked with the driver. We continued on for a ways but then he turned right onto Thepprasit. I buzzed and walked up to pay (I had gone quite a way) but he smiled and waved me on since he had deviated from the normal route to Pattaya. Picked up the next bus and so only had to pay the normal BHT 10 fare.

Hope your leg feels better soon, Langsuan Man! I sure would not want to be walking any farther than I had to either around here (or anywhere else for that matter!) with a broken leg.

My experience too.

There is no set route after the bus leaves Soi Buakhao, so you have to ask the driver if he's going to Big C.