Thai Court Denies Bail For Seven Red Shirt Leaders For Third Time

webfact

REDS LEADERS

Court denies bail for seven leaders

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_3807.jpg

Dr Weng

The Criminal Court yesterday denied for the third time the temporarily release of seven red-shirt leaders held on charges of terrorism in connection with the bloody riots in April and May last year.

The court cited a lack of fresh arguments or evidence. The defence said it would appeal within 15 days.

The seven detainees are Natthawut Saikua, weng Tojirakarn, Kokaew Pikulthong, Nisit Sinthuprai, Kwanchai Praipana, Wiphuthalaeng Phattanaphuthai and Yoswarit Chuklom, also known as Jeng Dokjik.

Red-shirt leader Thida Thawornseth said the protest rally planned for Sunday would take place as scheduled despite the setback.

The defence had appeared optimistic the seven would be set free this time, as the Law Society of Thailand had joined the defence team to help prepare the bail applications.

Thida arrived at the court carrying Bt21 million in cash to post as bail for all seven.

Documents were submitted highlighting new reasons for unlocking the seven, including the lifting of emergency rule and reports from human rights advocacy groups in favour of temporary release.

Statements of support were also presented from the Rights and Liberties Protection Department and the Kanit panel in charge of seeking truth and reconciliation related to the riots.

The defence recounted that the first request was rejected based on the possibility bail might be broken due to the serious crimes and punishment involved. The Appeals Court confirmed the lower court's decision by citing flight risk.

On October 14, bail was again turned down on grounds of no changes in the situation.

For yesterday's review, the defence contended that there was no longer any justification to keep the seven in remand since the state of emergency had ended, signalling the resumption of normalcy.

It pledged to post Bt3 million as surety for each of the seven or meet any conditions required by the court to allay the concern about fleeing.

In a separate bail application submitted by red guard Pichet "Phumkitti" Chindathong, the Appeals Court ordered the lower court to reconvene a hearing on its rejection of bail.

Pichet, facing terrorism and related charges, had filed a fresh argument to the higher court, citing his heart ailment as grounds for release. The upcoming hearing will determine whether his illness warrants bail.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-05

I'm all for it. Keep the bail at the bank, for another day! Terrorism or not - they incited to riot, burn and pillage. Their actions were the direct cause of army interference and sad deaths. Had they taken heed of the law and dispersed their followers peacefully non of this red stain would have happened. No excuses. Repent at leisure.

The court cited a lack of fresh arguments or evidence. The defence said it would appeal within 15 days.

Without new evidence this decision makes sense. For anyone having seen the programs broadcasted on PTV it should be clear that it's a wee bit difficult to produce mitigating circumstances. 'I didn't know what I was doing, I was drunk on power' isn't really acceptable.

the Law Society of Thailand had joined the defence team to help prepare the bail applications.
Statements of support were also presented from the Rights and Liberties Protection Department and the Kanit panel in charge of seeking truth and reconciliation related to the riots.

Why are the Law Society of Thailand, the Rights and Liberties Protection Department and the Kanit panel now all supporting the release of these terrorists? It almost sounds like amnesty. Are the UDD supporters going to acknowledge the kindheartedness of the government and take back their claims of "double standards" and brutality? Would the leaders, if released, halt their activities as they await their trial? What seems more likely is that they will join Thida and Veera in their repeated attempts to bring down the government.

Thida arrived at the court carrying Bt21 million in cash to post as bail for all seven.

Where did they get the cash? I wish she was robbed (by a poor UDD supporter).

I do not have a problem with the denial of bail 'per se'`. I certainly didn't like what I saw around Silom and Rama IV intersection last year. However, these guys have been in jail for a considerable time now and the longer the government keeps them locked up the more likely they are to turn them into matyrs. The Government needs to stop meddling wih the judiciary and let justice take its course.

Justice delayed is justice denied.