Internet Explorer Tabbed Browsing

dantilley

I was quite excited to see that Internet Explorer had finally released tabbed browsing and was looking forward to trying it out: only to discover that it's a load of rubbish. Awkward to use, full of bugs (my IE just closed earlier for no reason as I was doing some rapid tabbing) and un-intuitive. Firefox still wins hands down as the best browser in my opinion. Just a shame that you STILL get the occasional site that only works properly in IE...

I can't clear my cache on Firefox and went looking for instructions and saw their website trying to SELL a cache cleaner. I ended up with MIL Shield but it didn't clean my cache in Firefox.

I'm still having trouble with TV trying to use my back button and it was suggested I use the GO button and then go back but then this just fills up my cache and it's getting filled pretty quickly.

Can anyone help me to solve these problems.

I can't clear my cache on Firefox and went looking for instructions and saw their website trying to SELL a cache cleaner. I ended up with MIL Shield but it didn't clean my cache in Firefox.

I'm still having trouble with TV trying to use my back button and it was suggested I use the GO button and then go back but then this just fills up my cache and it's getting filled pretty quickly.

Can anyone help me to solve these problems.

To clear your Cache in Firefox, go to Tools >> Options in the menu and then click the Privacy icon. From there, you should see the Cache section at the botom of the main panel, accompanied with a Clear button. Click this Clear button to empty the cache.

You can get plugins for firefox that fool other sites into thinking you are running IE. Personally I don't bother browsing or buying anything from Microsoft slaves. I have nothing personal against IE users or MS itself, but these ######s who for no benefit to themselves, shut out people not using one certain browser astound me.

"This site works only with Internet explorer"

Someone needs to design a plugin that translates that to;

"This site could work with any browser, but I really don't know what I'm doing so I just let Front Page do all the work and it tells me that the site will only work with Internet Explorer. Please don't tell my Boss as I have him convinced it's me, not the software, and I really need the money."

cv

I was quite excited to see that Internet Explorer had finally released tabbed browsing and was looking forward to trying it out: only to discover that it's a load of rubbish. Awkward to use, full of bugs (my IE just closed earlier for no reason as I was doing some rapid tabbing) and un-intuitive. Firefox still wins hands down as the best browser in my opinion. Just a shame that you STILL get the occasional site that only works properly in IE...

Guest endure

Have you tried Deepnet? It's based on the IE engine but has the unique (I think) ability to have multiple home pages (called Start Pages) open at the same time when you run it so if you have 3 or 4 websites that you always look at it will open them all in tabs when it starts. I've tried to find an extension for Firefox that does this but there doesn't seem to be one.

That Deepnet thing sounds very good - but, knowing Mozilla, I'm sure a Firefox plugin that does the same thing will be out soon.

And, cdnvic, I hear you - IE (and hence Microsoft) are largely to blame for the poor state of a sizeable section of the web.

That Deepnet thing sounds very good - but, knowing Mozilla, I'm sure a Firefox plugin that does the same thing will be out soon.

And, cdnvic, I hear you - IE (and hence Microsoft) are largely to blame for the poor state of a sizeable section of the web.

I don't blame MS, they're just doing what they can to stay on top. I just don't understand why some people would block out their own customers just to help MS stay dominant.

cv

I don't blame MS, they're just doing what they can to stay on top. I just don't understand why some people would block out their own customers just to help MS stay dominant.

cv

Yeah, a lot of it is down to web designers' laziness, but also have you noticed how Hotmail, probably the most widely used web based email service, mysteriously doesn't work in Firefox? Also, IE does a lot of extra things to web pages when interpreting the HTML to help with integration with rubbish software such as Frontpage, and for various other unknown reasons. This means that a page written by a not-so-skilled web developer can look a real mess if that developer is trying to follow the W3C web standards, whereas Netascape and Firefox, which follow W3C exactly, will display the page perfectly.

Anyway, enough of this techincal gumph, at least Bill Gates is the largest charity donor the world has ever seen, so he can't be all bad...

Saying "excited" and "Internet Explorer" in the same sentence just seems so wrong. :o

However if you really want IE compatibility you could try the following, is based on the IE engine so sites requiring IE will work with it.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Edited by tywais

... if you have 3 or 4 websites that you always look at it will open them all in tabs when it starts. I've tried to find an extension for Firefox that does this but there doesn't seem to be one.

Tabbrowser Extensions does this:

Just set it to start with a particular saved tab session:

firefoxsessionc1yg.jpg

I always set it to start with the last set of tabs I had open, so I always start up where I left off...

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en

...Hotmail, probably the most widely used web based email service, mysteriously doesn't work in Firefox?...

I found earlier versions of Firefox could be a bit buggy with Hotmail, but versions 1.05/1.06 have worked fine for me so far.

Have you got a link for where Firefox are selling a cache cleaner? :o

Don't know why that would be when there are several extensions that can do that for you for free if you are unable to do it yourself as shown earlier in this thread.

When Hotmail and to a lesser extent Yahoo! have problems with Firefox the problem is usually at their end, not with Firefox. With Hotmail that's what you would expect if using Firefox instead of IE. :D

Maxthon has a feature built in that will enable multiple websites to open in tabs when you start it up. If you can't get Firefox to work then Maxthon is the best of the IE powered browsers that l have used.

Umm, IE7 is still in Beta :o

I got sick of updating FF. I just upgraded to 1.02 and the next day I was warned/suggested that I should go to 1.03. After the upgrade I had to disable and re-install most of the extensions that I had. Soon after it was 1.04. I haven't seen a site yet that doesn't display properly in IE. Tabbed browsing was OK , but I can live with "windowed" browsing (IE (no pun intented) right click on link, select "open in new window").

Guest endure
... if you have 3 or 4 websites that you always look at it will open them all in tabs when it starts. I've tried to find an extension for Firefox that does this but there doesn't seem to be one.

Tabbrowser Extensions does this:

Just set it to start with a particular saved tab session:

firefoxsessionc1yg.jpg

I always set it to start with the last set of tabs I had open, so I always start up where I left off...

http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en

Thanks, I'll have a look. The thing I like about Deepnet is that you can manipulate start pages from Favourites.