Lawyer - English Speaking

LivinLOS

I just need a certified / notarized copy of my passport for a bank.

Any recommended good service lawyers, easy to find and get to etc.

I found a legal office, but the phone conversation didnt work well and with my wife talking to them it became clear no one was comprehending what a certified copy is (whats the Thai term for this) including my wife.

Just curious - is this for a Thai bank? Your signature in your passport cannot be legitimately notarized because you signed it when the passport was issued. The banks that I have dealt with in Thailand require a copy of one's passport, but not a certified or notarized (impossible) copy.

Check with the bank to see if they'll accept a Thai notary. We had to have some documents notarized for a U.S. bank and they'd only accept a U.S. notary, which meant a trip to the U.S. consulate to pay their highway robbery fees.

I had the same experience as Nancey. The Thai's who have what looks like notary stamps are not well received in the US. I tried one, once and it was kicked back. Think they sell those stamps at the same shops that make company stamps. Maybe even at the Sunday market.

Check with the bank to see if they'll accept a Thai notary. We had to have some documents notarized for a U.S. bank and they'd only accept a U.S. notary, which meant a trip to the U.S. consulate to pay their highway robbery fees.

I realize Thailand isnt a signatory to the notary public rules..

But I need a certified copy.. Different beastie.. Done many many within Thailand without issue.

Have a couple of recommendations.. Thanks

Edited by LivinLOS

check with the bank again. maybe some misunderstandings,

normally you can self certify but if they want something else what about a local teacher or the pooyai bahn

i can imagine sunalee's fee !

I normally pay about 500 baht..

Think I will manage.. And looks a lot more professional to my bankers to be a legal office than handwritten / scrawled by the pooyai baan.

up to you

but i personally wouldn't underestimate the position and standing of a poo yai bahn in the eyes of a bank

and thais, including banks, have views on lawyers i am sure

I am fairly sure my offshore bankers wouldnt know what a poo yai baan is..

Ah, it's offshore. that may make a difference

Opening my offshore account in Jersey was no problem though - no costs, not done through lawyers

But as I say up to you

Actually this is Jersey, tho I have accounts (and companies) in the Caribbean and asia also. Just a bank, not anything tough.

But they just need an updated passport copy.. And it has to be certified.. Banks these days have to do KYC (know your customer, one of the companies I am involved with handles deposits and we have to do it with every customer of our business also) laundering checks and my relationship guy called and said the one on file is now old.

Really a non issue.. Between various ventures I probably needed 5 - 8 of them last year.

Edited by LivinLOS

Actually this is Jersey, tho I have accounts (and companies) in the Caribbean and asia also. Just a bank, not anything tough.

But they just need an updated passport copy.. And it has to be certified.. Banks these days have to do KYC (know your customer, one of the companies I am involved with handles deposits and we have to do it with every customer of our business also) laundering checks and my relationship guy called and said the one on file is now old.

Really a non issue.. Between various ventures I probably needed 5 - 8 of them last year.

With accounts and companies in Jersey, the Caribbean and Asia and your experience 5 to 8 times last year; you obviously don't need our advice anyway

Kinda funny and so typical of TV. OP asks a simple question. Respondents pick at it and challenge its assumptions. OP indicates that the peripheral stuff added by others is irrelevant to him. TV responds in pique that he obviously needs no help. Concludes with plaintiff note that OP was only asking a simple question. Love it. :rolleyes: