Non-Imm Ed Visa Extension?

Hi All. I haven't been able to find the answers anywhere else on the net, and I hope maybe some people in the know here might be able to answer my Question. I've been studying Thai at a private language school with a multiple entry ED visa issued in my home counrty. My visa is about to expire and since I plan to continue studying I wonder if it is possible to extend the validity of the visa here at immigration, or whether I have to apply for a new one altogether.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I hope this isn't too confusing. ..

That type of visa (a multi entry Type ED) is good for stays in country of up to 90 days at a time and usually has a validity of one year from date of issue.

AM I wrong to assume you've been runnin' for the border every 3 months to garner another 90 days stay in country? (Please, DO correct me if I'm wrong.)

With this type of visa IF you border run one last time before the "must be utilized by" date (NOT to be confused with the current “permission to stay until” stamp), you can get another 90 days and in total nearly 15 months out of this visa.

Have you done this already?

If you continue to study the thai language and your school is registered with the Ministry of Education, they can provide you with supporting documentation which would allow you to secure an 'extension of stay' at Thai Immigrations.

Now normally with private thai language schools in Bangkok the extensions given at Changwattana Immigrations are for 90 days at a time. So you'd need to do this every 90 days at the cost of 1900baht each extension. The school will usually give you your new paperwork a few weeks early, but it is your responsibility to know when your extension runs out not theirs.

Also remember once you get an extension of stay, the re-entry permit part of your old visa expires when it does, and if you leave the country without buying a new re-entry permit your extension of stay dies when you exit the country and you're back to less than square one.

One last thing in this too long already post, is. ... Once you get an extension of stay, you must report to Immigrations when you stay in country over 90 days.

This has NOTHING to do with your extension or visa and everything to do with the law that foreigners who reside in thailand longer than 90 days need to report their address. (90 day reporting is free though!)

Thanks for you answer, Tod.

You are correct to assume I've been doing the three months border runs. My visa was issued about a year ago. For the largest part of the last year I've been in the country studying and doing the border runs. I came back in the beginning of December after having been away for 5 months. My visa will expire on the 14th of this month. My latest "permission to stay" stamp will allow me to stay until the beginning of March. I plan to continue to study at least for a couple more months, and probably more.

So if I understand you correctly, after my latest "permission of stay" stamp runs out I can go to immigration and keep getting extensions of stay provided I have the correct paperwork from the school, even though my original visa has expired? Or did I get that wrong?

With the paperwork from the school, would extending the validity of the original multiple entry ED visa with another year be an option?

Thanks.

If I understand you correctly, your current multi-entry type ED visa has a ‘must be utilized before’ (or an expiration date) of the 14th of January. So about another 10 or so days.

Now, if you were to say ‘run for the border’ on the 13th of this month, you’d get another 90 day stamp when you re-enter thailand. (That's the way multi-entry non-immigrant visas work, each entry gets you a new 90 day permission to stay stamp, so if you time the runs right you get about 15 months out of the visa.) That’d give you until about the middle of April to sort this all out. It's a thought.

You need to get the paperwork and stuff hashed out from the school when you still have a month or so left on your last permission to stay until stamp.

And NO I’ve never ever seen in Bangkok for attending a private thai language school a student get anything more than a 90 day extension.

If you’re gonna leave the country after you got the extension of stay you’d need a re-entry permit. But as re-entry permits are only valid for the current extension of stay (so in the case of you receiving an in country permission of stay for 90 days, any re-entry permit you’d buy would only be good for the same amount of time.)

I usually advise people if they think they’re goin’ outta the country, just pick up a single entry re-entry permit for 1000baht when you get the in-country extension of stay at Thai Immigrations.

I hope this wasn’t too confusing. It’s certainly not as complicated as I make it out to be. Feel free to send me a P/M if you have any questions.

Edited by tod-daniels

That type of visa (a multi entry Type ED) is good for stays in country of up to 90 days at a time and usually has a validity of one year from date of issue.

AM I wrong to assume you've been runnin' for the border every 3 months to garner another 90 days stay in country? (Please, DO correct me if I'm wrong.)

With this type of visa IF you border run one last time before the "must be utilized by" date (NOT to be confused with the current "permission to stay until" stamp), you can get another 90 days and in total nearly 15 months out of this visa.

If you continue to study the thai language and your school is registered with the Ministry of Education, they can provide you with supporting documentation which would allow you to secure an 'extension of stay' at Thai Immigrations.

Now normally with private thai language schools in Bangkok the extensions given at Changwattana Immigrations are for 90 days at a time. So you'd need to do this every 90 days at the cost of 1900baht each extension. The school will usually give you your new paperwork a few weeks early, but it is your responsibility to know when your extension runs out not theirs.

Also remember once you get an extension of stay, the re-entry permit part of your old visa expires when it does, and if you leave the country without buying a new re-entry permit your extension of stay dies when you exit the country and you're back to less than square one.

One last thing in this too long already post, is. ... Once you get an extension of stay, you must report to Immigrations when you stay in country over 90 days.

This has NOTHING to do with your extension or visa and everything to do with the law that foreigners who reside in thailand longer than 90 days need to report their address. (90 day reporting is free though!)

The school shall provide this documents AFTER paying a new course fee .only......!! I have same ED visa , just maked 15 months out of it , and probably go for a new one in this way by April, much more relaxing whiteout no hassle or "language exams" at jomtien immigration....)doing visa runs (same money as immgr..;) , only a flight home country is the disadvantage :whistling:

Thanks again for answering my questions.

90 days extensions and re-entry permit will have to do then. I was kinda hoping the ED visa could be renewed like some other Non-Immigrant type visa, because - like David555 mentions - the year-long multiple entry aspect of it was really convenient. And I gather they are hard to get in the region. Ah well...

Thanks for the info ...

With this type of visa IF you border run one last time before the "must be utilized by" date (NOT to be confused with the current "permission to stay until" stamp), you can get another 90 days and in total nearly 15 months out of this visa.

The school shall provide this documents AFTER paying a new course fee .only......!! I have same ED visa , just maked 15 months out of it , and probably go for a new one in this way by April, much more relaxing whiteout no hassle or "language exams" at jomtien immigration....)doing visa runs (same money as immgr..;) , only a flight home country is the disadvantage :whistling:

Really ? i heard that allmost every one get the language test when in for the 90days report at immigration jomtien ,. i did get my non-ed visa in November 2010 and are going for my first visit in February and my school havent manage to start my class yet ,. guess i will lose my ED visa on my first visit to immigration then :/ As my Thai language skills aint that good.

Edited by oMega69

:D

Really ? i heard that allmost every one get the language test when in for the 90days report at immigration jomtien ,. i did get my non-ed visa in November 2010 and are going for my first visit in February and my school havent manage to start my class yet ,. guess i will lose my ED visa on my first visit to immigration then :/ As my Thai language skills aint that good.

HI, you did understand me wrong way, ihave 1 YEAR MUTIPLE ENTRY ED VISA , not an extension, i have to do border runs (same price almost ( 2000 bath ) as jomtien .ON BORDER they do not ask nothing about your Thai language skills.

It whas on advice from a BM here tto not change to extension and use the school papers , others i would pay re-entrys if needed , and in my multiple visa they are included and payd already .

Do not worry first time they will not give trouble (unless immigration officer did not sleep wel that night :D ) they could do, but not forced ..!

Edited by david555

:D

HI, you did understand me wrong way, ihave 1 YEAR MUTIPLE ENTRY ED VISA , not an extension, i have to do border runs (same price almost ( 2000 bath ) as jomtien .ON BORDER they do not ask nothing about your Thai language skills.

It whas on advice from a BM here tto not change to extension and use the school papers , others i would pay re-entrys if needed , and in my multiple visa they are included and payd already .

Do not worry first time they will not give trouble (unless immigration officer did not sleep wel that night :D ) they could do, but not forced ..!

oh Isee , logical the language exame should be after the first 12month before issue a new 12month ED visa ,.

I still say if the O/P had exited and re-entered the country before TODAY (as they indicated their visa had a "must be utilized by" stamp on the visa dated today) they'd a gotten a new permission to stay stamp good until about April 13th or there abouts. That would have afforded them MORE than enough time to sort out the extension of stay paperwork that their school supplies them.

The year long, multi-entry ED visa (secured in another country prior to comin' to thailand) held by the O/P is good for about 15 months of stay in kingdom if you work border runs and dates right. It's the same as any other Multi-entry year long visa of what ever category O-B-ED, makes no difference; each entry is good for a 90 day stay. If you run-4-the-border and re-enter just before the visa itself expires; you get another 90 day permission to stay until stamp.

There were some rumors last year on this forum (and a topic too which I am too lazy to look for) that people were being 'tested' out at Changwattana during the process of extending their ED visas for another 90 days. Now being the nosy type of person, as well as having assisted all too many people with this routine extension; I went and spent several hours in the ED visa extension area at Changwattana. I sat right in front of the desk area and must have watched 20+ odd foreigners go thru and get their ED visas extended for another 90 days. NOT a single person was 'tested' or taken away to be 'grilled' in thai about their language acquisition skills.

Now did the thai immigrations officials attempt to converse with the students? Yes, of course they did, after all youre supposed to be studying the thai language so possessing some modicum of thai language skill might not be all that far fetched, huh?) What I overheard was mostly the same old b/s conversations you have with any run-o-the-mill-thai. Things like; Cam you speak thai, What's your name, What country do you come from, Where do you live in thailand, How long have you lived here, How long have you studied the thai language, Where do you study, Do you like thai food, Can you eat spicy food, Do you have a thai wife, g/f etc. In the entire time out there, I didn't see a single person who couldn't answer these questions being denied their 90 day extension, NOT one!

Never having been to Jomtien Immigrations I couldn't comment on their 'vetting' of people who extend their ED visas at that location. However, I'm reasonably sure the poster known as "macwalen" (BTW; the owner of the Walen School 'O Thai) who NOT coincidentally has a Pattaya branch could certainly enlighten us as far as the experiences their students have had when extending an ED visa down there in regards to any alleged testing.

Dont confuse casual thai conversation while an immigrations officer processes your extension to be any sort of official testing. Immigration really wants your support documentation to be in order. If you have the paperwork provided by your school, the appropriate copies, forms filled out, photo, etc, there is a 99.9% chance youll sail thru quickly and without the slightest hiccup in the process.

Then again, if youve studied thai for 9 months and are on your last extension of the year, yet still cant manage to spit out; My name is Somchai", in thai; well, if I were an immigration officer I might look at you with a slightly more critical eye too.

Edited by tod-daniels

I still say if the O/P had exited and re-entered the country before TODAY (as they indicated their visa had a "must be utilized by" stamp on the visa dated today) they'd a gotten a new ‘permission to stay’ stamp good until about April 13th or there abouts. That would have afforded them MORE than enough time to sort out the extension of stay paperwork that their school supplies them.

The year long, multi-entry ED visa (secured in another country prior to comin' to thailand) held by the O/P is good for about 15 months of stay in kingdom if you work border runs and dates right. It's the same as any other Multi-entry year long visa of what ever category O-B-ED, makes no difference; each entry is good for a 90 day stay. If you run-4-the-border and re-enter just before the visa itself expires; you get another 90 day permission to stay until stamp.

There were some rumors last year on this forum (and a topic too which I am too lazy to look for) that people were being 'tested' out at Changwattana during the process of extending their ED visas for another 90 days. Now being the nosy type of person, as well as having assisted all too many people with this routine extension; I went and spent several hours in the ED visa extension area at Changwattana. I sat right in front of the desk area and must have watched 20+ odd foreigners go thru and get their ED visas extended for another 90 days. NOT a single person was 'tested' or taken away to be 'grilled' in thai about their language acquisition skills.

Now did the thai immigrations officials attempt to converse with the students? Yes, of course they did, after all you’re supposed to be studying the thai language so possessing some modicum of thai language skill might not be all that far fetched, huh?) What I overheard was mostly the same old b/s conversations you have with any run-o-the-mill-thai. Things like; Cam you speak thai, What's your name, What country do you come from, Where do you live in thailand, How long have you lived here, How long have you studied the thai language, Where do you study, Do you like thai food, Can you eat spicy food, Do you have a thai wife, g/f etc. In the entire time out there, I didn't see a single person who couldn't answer these questions being denied their 90 day extension, NOT one!

Never having been to Jomtien Immigrations I couldn't comment on their 'vetting' of people who extend their ED visas at that location. However, I'm reasonably sure the poster known as "macwalen" (BTW; the owner of the “Walen School 'O Thai”) who NOT coincidentally has a Pattaya branch could certainly enlighten us as far as the experiences their students have had when extending an ED visa down there in regards to any alleged ‘testing’.

Don’t confuse casual thai conversation while an immigrations officer processes your extension to be any sort of official testing. Immigration really wants your support documentation to be in order. If you have the paperwork provided by your school, the appropriate copies, forms filled out, photo, etc, there is a 99.9% chance you’ll sail thru quickly and without the slightest hiccup in the process.

Then again, if you’ve studied thai for 9 months and are on your last extension of the year, yet still can’t manage to spit out; “My name is Somchai", in thai; well, if I were an immigration officer I might look at you with a slightly more critical eye too.

i can confirm completely Tod Daniels rep^ly , as i made it so with my 1 year multiple visa doing visa runs cambodia , no extensions at jomtien , and did not use the school papers unles for obtaining in my home country the year E multiple visa , witch i made with my latest run complete untill 26 march almost 15 months (few days less).

And then back to make another one after paying a new SCHOOLFEE :whistling: , (witch are lately very competitive , different schools different pricing and paying terms possibilitys , some 2 terms some deposit and remaining monthly........, and NOT AL are 25000 bath :jap:

Perhaps there are some schools that are cheaper a little, but I very much doubt they would focus on teaching Thai. Perhaps only visa which can be dangerous for you. Look at what happened in Chiangmai. Walen is certainly one of the most reliable schools and also one of the longest established.

The question of the post was answered in my previous post. Some of the posts are so very long. perhaps it is better to be a little more concise. Less words more content please.

Walen School - not the cheapest but the best value

www.thaiwalen.com

Perhaps there are some schools that are cheaper a little, but I very much doubt they would focus on teaching Thai. Perhaps only visa which can be dangerous for you. Look at what happened in Chiangmai. Walen is certainly one of the most reliable schools and also one of the longest established.

The question of the post was answered in my previous post. Some of the posts are so very long. perhaps it is better to be a little more concise. Less words more content please.

Walen School - not the cheapest but the best value

www.thaiwalen.com

we are just trying to be complete as possible , and sharing our experiences to other BM , including about different pricing witch surely does not means that your school is not perfect :jap: , but as in the U.K. not all can go not to Eaton university also ;) , just trying to give all BM rich or not rich all the options...

BTW about the focus on the ED visa option ..... you are in the best position ...reading your banner for publicity where it focus mainly on the visa option :D

regards

Edited by david555

• 1 month later...

The answer is short.

If your school can prepare all the paperwork before your present visa expires you will not have to leave the country and will be able to continue your studies using the same visa.

Walen School - reliable ED visa advice

www.thaiwalen.com

Just to reiterate and clear out. For how long can a student on "ED VISA" studying at a private thai language school get an extension from the immigration? Supposing if the student feels she has not learned enough thai language for example some schools break it into beginners, intermediate and advance courses each lasting a year or so. Is it possible to move to the next course on the same visa stamp issued by thai consulate and get extension from immigration (i.e after 12 months already on current visa stamp) or would have to go out to a thai consulate and get a new ED stamp for the next course?

2. In the same context above is it possible to do a transfer to a different school before or after completion of each course?

Edited by TheWorldandI

The answer is short.

If your school can prepare all the paperwork before your present visa expires you will not have to leave the country and will be able to continue your studies using the same visa.

Walen School - reliable ED visa advice

www.thaiwalen.com

Just to reiterate and clear out. For how long can a student on "ED VISA" studying at a private thai language school get an extension from the immigration? Supposing if the student feels she has not learned enough thai language for example some schools break it into beginners, intermediate and advance courses each lasting a year or so. Is it possible to move to the next course on the same visa stamp issued by thai consulate and get extension from immigration (i.e after 12 months already on current visa stamp) or would have to go out to a thai consulate and get a new ED stamp for the next course?

2. In the same context above is it possible to do a transfer to a different school before or after completion of each course?

Found this in the online doc. from ED visa proces from a language school

1. **If students come from another school please prepare documents as follows:
  2. Reference letter from last school.
  3. Resignation letter from last school (the documents will be expired within 7 days **you need to come to our school as soon as you have received all documents).
  4. If your visa expired before Thai course finished, you have to ask the
    documents from last school to extension at Immigration.

Edited by david555

• 2 weeks later...

TodD or others, do you know if we can follow the same process to get an Extension of Stay on a 3 month single-entry ED?

Despite having documents from daughter's international school confirming enrolment for the next 4 months she was only issued with a 3-month visa marked "enter before 27 May" and got a permission stay until 31 May stamped in her passport on arrival at Swampy back on 3 May.

TodD or others, do you know if we can follow the same process to get an Extension of Stay on a 3 month single-entry ED?

Despite having documents from daughter's international school confirming enrolment for the next 4 months she was only issued with a 3-month visa marked "enter before 27 May" and got a permission stay until 31 May stamped in her passport on arrival at Swampy back on 3 May.

That would be the correct procedure to give only 3 months on arrival. Early May you can extend her stay for 1 year with paperwork from the school showing she is atending classes. The school will now which paperwork is required and should be able to guide you through the process.