Importing A Bike From China

kiwijack

I am contemplating importing a motor bike with side car from China & wondering if anyone has done something similar.

It can be either new or secondhand if it makes a difference & I could use my Thai wife's name if it assists.

ideally I would like to ride it in via new road through laos but can ship otherwise. Maybe as personal effects?

Any advice or information would be most appreciated on the import chances & process & also re registration once in Thailand. The bike will end up in Isaan, not BKK.

Thanks very much.

Importing a motorcycle from China with sidecar will end up with it never be road legal in Thailand. For the Thai road traffic act a Chinese sidecar is on the wrong side of the motorcycle. I was told it has something to do that they ride/drive in China on the other side of the road... makes sense to me.

Second, I'm pretty sure that you're not talking about a old Chinese classic with a sidecar, so including buying price, transport, registration fee and environmental and exhaust emission testing fee's you find it would be more cost efficient to buy a Stallion Buddy 125 SME Standard for 39,500 Bht. (including registration fee and license plate)....

post-12170-0-16441900-1294231153_thumb.j

Or a 100% road legal Tiger Retro w/ Sidecar, only ~5x,xxx Thai Baht, 2 or 3 year warranty (can't remember which anymore...) and such a fun little scoot that really turns heads-

040910TigerRetro7Sm.jpg

Apparently the side car even tastes good :lol:

040910TigerRetro8Sm.jpg

You can order one online, pay online and have it delivered right to your door! Amazing convenience!

Check it out: http://www.tigersachsclub.com/tigersachsshop.html

Ride On!

Tony

Many thanks all for the responses & information.

Overlooked the position of the sidecar.. good point.

Have now dumped the idea... it was for a Chang Jiang.. modelled on the old BMW war era machines adopted & adapted by Russians & PLA & Police...

Thanks again.