Mae Hong Son Border Crossing

I need to exit and reenter Thailand this weekend in order to get the next 60 days on my tourist visa. Mae Hong Son seems to be the closest border, so I was hoping to get some info here before heading out. Last month, as some may recall, I got stuck in Mae Sod as the border has apparently been closed for the last five months.

Searching for info on Mae Hong Son turned up nothing, and for some strange reason the word "border" is not allowed to be used as a search term. So...

1 - Is the border in Mae Hong Son currently open?

2 - What's the deal with transportation to / from the border? I'll be coming through Chiang Mai.

3 - What's the fee for entering Burma, and which currency is preferred?

Thanks in advance for any info / advice.

As far as I'm aware, 'local' borders only in Mae Hong Son (for Thais and Burmese). For the nearest border to Chiang Mai, use either Mae Sai (Chiang Rai) or Mae Sot(Tak). Mae Sai is preferable - closest and least hassle at the border.

Edited by naboo

Thanks for the info. So I guess Mae Sai it will have to be. How far exactly is it from Chiang Rai (I mean timewise - kilometer count is easy to find but not all that helpful)?

Also, any idea how much the Burmese entry fee is?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. So I guess Mae Sai it will have to be. How far exactly is it from Chiang Rai (I mean timewise - kilometer count is easy to find but not all that helpful)?

Also, any idea how much the Burmese entry fee is?

Thanks again.

Probably no help to you but I am going to Mae Sai in 10 days.