Thai Girl Involved In Tragic Tollway Accident Says That She Is Sorry

webfact

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgement on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

And before you all get on your high horses about me defending her, I'm not..I'm quite happy for a court to decide whether she is guilty or not after reviewing all the facts and evidence (and not from reading newspaper reports like the wannabe judges on this forum)

Listen to yourselves almost baying for blood.. "lock her up, throw away the key" you say.. thank god you are not part of the legal system in any country.

This whole thing is a tradgedy.. for all involved.

totster :ph34r:

:thumbsup::clap2: :clap2:

Good post.

Some poster will however do whatever they can to pontificate and ask for harsh penalties, way out of proportions of the actual crime that occurred. Maybe these posters should compare how a 16 year old back home would be handled in the same situation and either accept that punishing a kid for s stupid act with no ill intent isn't going to bring anyone back or accept that whatever other harsh penalties a 3rd world system might bring out is not protested against in the future? Some posters act like they would prefer stoning as a penalty for this accident.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I also believe that as long as all parties are happy that justice as they see it has been served, then justice has been served. Our morals have nothing to do with it. Who are we to say that our evolved morals are better than another cultures ?

Very well written, excellent

The population here can only do better for themselves when they elect government representatives based on their policy, rather than how much money they are giving. How can things ever change if elections are won by giving a couple of hundred baht to every voter, which is gratefully accepted ?

Not enough though, the most fundamental problem in this country is not people who don't understand the importance of electing leaders on the policies they stand for, the biggest problem Thailand (and many other developing countries have) is that the middle class is running away from the working class. And that problem starts at home with the middle class adapting faster and better and the working class resisting change in upbringing techniques.

The biggest problem is that there is already a solid difference between working class and middle class children the first day they start kindergarten. Schools after that only emphasise the difference

I don’t believe what I am reading. Are you mad? Hang the girl; let her spend 15 years in prison???? What? It was not a premeditated murder, was it? I am sure that she did not ram the van on purpose.

It was an accident. You don’t even know the full details. Maybe the driver of the van was partially to blame. OK, it was illegal to drive without a license, but that is not the point. My friend had his license for 20 years and still managed to crash on the motorway in UK. Four people died there. Partly his fault, partly the other driver. He is not in jail, but has to live with that for a rest of his life. Wake up, when you were 16 years old and somebody let you drive, you would have a go. It does not really matter who are the parents or who she is.

MI, I think we all already understand that in Thailand, the parents have civil liability for the conduct of their children.

The point, however, is that they apparently don't have criminal liability, even when the circumstances might suggest it.

I don't know from the sparse facts whether the parents here deserved any criminal liability in this case. But it's disappointing to learn that Thailand apparently doesn't even have the legal framework in place to allow it, in any case where it might be deserved.

I don't believe parents should be criminally liable for the actions of their children. I have known some very nice, responsible people who have bred or adopted a "bad seed" that have nearly destroyed their life. BUT they should be responsible for their own actions/inactions. In this case there has to be several parties, unless they are all one, who have acted as accessories before the act, who, if adults, are more liable for prosecution than the girl.

Initial reports included an adult sister in the car. Was this false, or has someone decided to delete her name? Does the girl even have a sister?

Who owns this Honda Civic? Why isn't the owner being charged? Who is the mystery friend? Does he/she exist?

Did the parents know that she was driving under-aged? The mother's statement (she likes to speed) indicated that they did, but what have they done to stop her? If it turns out that the car was actually bought for the girl, how do the parents evade criminal responsibility?

I have to second this. People I know find the whole idea of "this is Thailand and things will never change" ignorant, especially given the growth of the country over the past few decades and subsequent change of attitudes.

Personally I find the way this girl has been treated by the online communities quite disturbing, but given that her parents will no doubt try every manoeuvre to ensure the girl and themselves will get off "scott free" (and being honest, what parent wouldn't?) and will probably have some success, it is possible to relate to some degree.

Insight, your opinion on the forum is one of those that I respect the most, but I don't think it is ignorant to think things will not change on a fundamental level, a change in surface attitudes maybe, but the core problems are still there.

However, we do agree on one thing, the girl at the centre of this has been treated terribly.. she has unfortunately become the blame focus for all the terrible accidents over the holiday period

I'm sure justice will be served, but not to our (westerners) standard.

totster :D

Oh, things will change also on a fundamental level. they already have for a long time. It is just that it's not happening at a speed detectable to most westerners

Attitudes are clearly, slowly changing :)

I agree with you. Things are changing in big ways and for the better but at a speed many think is too slow. More than one Thai friend has commented to me "things are getting better will get more better when more of the older generation die".

By the way, anyone have any real, direct experience with how much a taken life is worth in Thailand these days???

I remember a case a couple years ago in Hua Hin where a youngster waiting on the side of the road was hit and killed by a drunken Thai driver. My GF at the time who was familiar with the case said the victim's family received 5,000 baht from the driver.

Obviously, I'd think, the price depends on the status/income of the responsible party.... But I think you'll find, life can be taken and paid off for a shockingly cheap price here....

I know of incident a couple of months ago, a guy shot an killed another guy(both Thai), the shooter spent a few days in jail while the family gathered some money, they paid 400K, the other family accepted the deal, and the guy walked. Anyway, these things don't just happen in Thailand, it happens a lot places.

I think the only reason this incident attracts so much attention here is that it was 9 people that killed not 1 or 2.

I think that due process should be carried out, and punishment dispensed when the facts are known. For now some people are just making stupid comments based on gossip and second hand information.

I know of 2 cases, but both 3rd hand. In the first, 2 thai guys were in a drunken brawl, and one smasher the other guys head in with a brick. He agreed to pay B1000/month for 8 years, no jail time.

In the second, an elderly thai woman pulled out on to the highway in her car, and my mates bike t-boned the car - he died of massive internal injuries. Payment of B100,000 for the life of a 50-yo Brit, about 5% of the value of the Mercedes she was driving. Somehow, I had the impression that he thought his life was worth more than that.

So the police were willing to abandon any criminal case so long as the other family accepted $ compensation? Interesting approach to justice.

I know of incident a couple of months ago, a guy shot an killed another guy(both Thai), the shooter spent a few days in jail while the family gathered some money, they paid 400K, the other family accepted the deal, and the guy walked. Anyway, these things don't just happen in Thailand, it happens a lot places.

I was told the police acted more or less as negotiators between the parties involved, and that was it, finished.

Anyway, good posts above and below by both NanLaew and Totster. This is the way things are in a number of regions in the world, it's not just Thailand.

The police not only act as negotiators. If the payout isn't readily available, a debt contract is signed which the BIB enforce with the threat of criminal proceedings.

THEY ALSO TAKE A COMMISSION!

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgement on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

And before you all get on your high horses about me defending her, I'm not..I'm quite happy for a court to decide whether she is guilty or not after reviewing all the facts and evidence (and not from reading newspaper reports like the wannabe judges on this forum)

Listen to yourselves almost baying for blood.. "lock her up, throw away the key" you say.. thank god you are not part of the legal system in any country.

I agree we should hear all the evidence first.

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgment on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

This whole thing is a tragedy.. for all involved.

I feel alot better now she had the grace to turn herself in, Why was she not arrested at the site of the incident,.Why has there not been an inquiry into the police actions, Maybe there already has been , £££££, This is going the way many postes have predicted , Time will tell.

Typical for Thailand. A lot of drivers without driving permits on the road. And not correct laws and a corrupt police. It is one of the most dangerous countries in the world for driving. I would like to see what happens if the responsible drive was a farang. Probably life sentence in jail. This girl must be jailed for at least 10 years, and the owner of the car too.

By the way, anyone have any real, direct experience with how much a taken life is worth in Thailand these days???

I remember a case a couple years ago in Hua Hin where a youngster waiting on the side of the road was hit and killed by a drunken Thai driver. My GF at the time who was familiar with the case said the victim's family received 5,000 baht from the driver.

Obviously, I'd think, the price depends on the status/income of the responsible party.... But I think you'll find, life can be taken and paid off for a shockingly cheap price here....

I work at a transport company here, with over 100 trucks.

Unfortunatly about 1 time per year one of our trucks is involved in a fatality involving a motorcycle. Sad but true.

You would not belive how much effort we put into safe driving, driver fatigue management etc, all watered down by the crap standard of Thai drivers in general & motorcyclists in particular.

It is rarely our drivers fault, but under Thai "law" it is, because he was driving the larger vehicle.

Anyway, we always send a representative to meet with the deceased persons family.

We normally end up donating between 5 & 15 thousand baht, to cover the immediate costs (funeral etc). We do this because of the time taken for the insurances to pay out.

Then the Insurance company make a proper payment afterwards.

Perhaps the initial donation was what yr GF was talking about.

You lot are a sad bunch. You all cry for justice, but are ready to pass your own judgment on this girl before she has been properly convicted.

This whole thing is a tragedy.. for all involved.

I feel alot better now she had the grace to turn herself in, Why was she not arrested at the site of the incident,.Why has there not been an inquiry into the police actions, Maybe there already has been , £££££, This is going the way many postes have predicted , Time will tell.

I don't know the extent of the injuries, but she apparently went to the hospital for a few days. I hope that's acceptable with you that she received treament.

I would just like to ask all the people here who think that we should wait until her trail to state this girl is guilty:

Exactly what do you think her defence is going to be? That she really was older than she said she was, and, oh, by the way, here is a license she forgot she had? Maybe you think those 9 people are still alive and being held somewhere and that this is all a government conspiracy to frame an innocent child?

Please do not insult my intelligence. The girl was driving without a license, and 9 people died because of it. If the car was defective, it doesn't matter because she should not have been driving it anyway. If the van driver swerved, it is irrelevant because she should not have been driving anyway. The girl is guilty. There is absolutely nothing that justifies what she did.

I don't need to wait for a trial, and it is insulting in the extreme to listen to her say "this was an accident." It does nothing but dishonor the memories of the people who died in this tragedy.

Something needs to be done when this girl who is already guilty beyond a reasonable doubt tries to say she is innocent. Go through the legal motions to stick her in jail, of course. There is a process that has to apply to everyone. But keep a muzzle on that girl. She can say sorry if she wants and truly means it. The "accident" part is infuriating. None of us are actually that stupid.

And yes, I would feel the same way no matter who it was on trial. The parents that MikeyIdea says bought a Scoopy for their 15 year old. How can anyone defend that? How can anyone tolerate it? These parents should simply have their children taken away from them, and then they should be locked up. The very act of that purchase demonstrates a disdain for society that I will never accept.

My children need to grow up here. I will do whatever is necessary to get people to start acting responsibly with motor vehicles. Sorry MikeyIdea. I will change this aspect of society, even if you find it pleasant. I would think you should too for your daughter's sake. I will continue to speak my mind and call for the immediate imprisonment of people who cause deaths while operating a motor vehicle without a license. There is no excuse for that. None. (OK, possibly if you were rushing someone to a hospital who was dying, and there were no other vehicles on the road. But if there was another vehicle, you should have stopped and asked them to help.)

Maybe, if big enough outcry is made over this crime, this behavior will stop. This is absolutely comparable to or possibly even worse than drunk driving. If we can condemn one, how can we allow the other?

Good post Gregb, but the sad fact is there isn't a lot of difference between the skill level of licensed and unlicensed drivers in Thailand. The Thai driving test is an absolute joke. Unless the kids are taught how to drive properly, this type of carnage will continue on the Thai roads.

This is utterly disgusting. What a repugnant display of the lack of justice in this society.

No, little miss sunshine, it wasn't an "accident". It may have been unintentional, but it was a crime caused by your extreme negligence. Trying to shrug off responsibility for the deaths of 9 people as an "accident" is truly an insult to their memories.

So much for Nisa's theories that this girl is suffering. This girl needs to do hard time. She clearly has no remorse.

Agree with you 100% on this one. I can bet my bottom dollar if it was a farang or a piss poor issan farmer in an accident like this, and the victims were from a 'higher class' you'd see a completely different spin on the whole story.

Her actions killed nine people, Don't defend her. End of story

That German guy that killed the Thai on the motorbike in pattaya went straight to jail.and yes he was drunk and deserved it,

MI, you just need to hope your house doesn't collapse someday while you and your family are sleeping inside, and then you find yourself trying to sue the builder for shoddy workmanship...

Or... if you instead handle such things in the Thai way as you seem inclined to do... maybe the builder will just buy you a case of Leo and you'll call it a day... Mai pen rai... :)

Just so long as they apologize, then everything's OK and settled, right?

I have improved my life considerably the last 20 years, I own my house and my car (both small), have no loans and a good job with a decent income. My poor neighbours cross the street have also improved their lives, a bit. Much less than I have and much less than they could have done if they had put more emphasis on it. But they have laughed and enjoyed life more than I have the last 20 years

We only have one life so maybe I have been short-sighted, in a way :)

Edited by jfchandler

Every kid in my wife's village over the age of 10 rides a motorbike.its a nightmare in the holidays when there all riding around usually 3 at a time.

This is utterly disgusting. What a repugnant display of the lack of justice in this society.

No, little miss sunshine, it wasn't an "accident". It may have been unintentional, but it was a crime caused by your extreme negligence. Trying to shrug off responsibility for the deaths of 9 people as an "accident" is truly an insult to their memories.

So much for Nisa's theories that this girl is suffering. This girl needs to do hard time. She clearly has no remorse.

I agree and I don't :)

The girl is guilty as hell, she should do hard time in jail on rice soup sleeping on a floor mat IMO.

The question of bail is a different matter though. She has strong connections to Thailand and is unlikely to flee, she is cooperating with the investigation. I see no reason to not grant her bail. Justice can be served when issue goes up in criminal court later this year, I am sure that she will come. Now, if full justice is going to be handed out or not is a different matter, it's unlikely actually but we must also consider this...

We must also take into consideration that the poorer with no famous surname do what the girl did more often than the rich and the standard that is set must be suitable for the poor too or the most significant change coming out of all this will be enforcement of the double morale that caused the uproar in the first place.

I was back in the village over New Year, a neighbour further down the (dirt) road had bought a Honda Scoopy for her 15 year old daughters birthday that she will use to drive the 17 kilometers (on main inter-city road) from the village to her school in amphur muang and back again every school day for 3 years without a licence. This is so common among the poor that if it were to stop suddenly, then it would put a visible dent in the GDP... I'm not saying that it shouldn't be stopped of course, but punishment must be suitable for the poor as well as the rich

I see an enormous improvement in traffic safety in Thailand the last 20 years. This unfortunate issue will help to improve it even further

Unfortunatly about 1 time per year one of our trucks is involved in a fatality involving a motorcycle. Sad but true.

You would not belive how much effort we put into safe driving, driver fatigue management etc, all watered down by the crap standard of Thai drivers in general & motorcyclists in particular.

It is rarely our drivers fault, but under Thai "law" it is, because he was driving the larger vehicle.

Anyway, we always send a representative to meet with the deceased persons family.

We normally end up donating between 5 & 15 thousand baht, to cover the immediate costs (funeral etc). We do this because of the time taken for the insurances to pay out.

Good post and thank you for that perspective. I do have one tangential question that maybe you could answer and believe me I'm not trying to be insulting but am genuinely interested. Does your company have a policy with respect to what a driver should do once becoming involved in the type of accident you describe? One reads so often of "drivers fleeing the scene" that one supposes there must be some merit in that strategy. What type of instruction do your drivers get in such an instance and if it is to flee what do you feel is the justification for that? Thanks

Agree with you but I am just wondering what could take the police so long in determining the legal action required. It is up to the Police to answer for delays in the investigation and provide a timeframe.

The police should have an idea of person at fault and what charges, if any, will be proceeded with. The case could then move to the court system to process any charges and set bail, penalties and other enforcements as set down under Thai law.

Mick, I don't think anyone, or at least most here, are saying the parents in this case automatically should be held criminally responsible.

But if the parents took specific actions that contributed to the accident, (in this case or any other), then there might be a different argument to be made.

We obviously don't know the facts in this case in that regard. And it ends up being a moot point, since Thailand apparently doesn't have a law that even allows holding parents criminally responsible for the criminal acts of their children even IF the parents have in some manner directly contributed to or condoned the behavior.

But I really don't think you want to argue that NO situation could possibly ever exist where the parents ought to be blamed and potentially prosecuted.

I don't believe parents should be criminally liable for the actions of their children. I have known some very nice, responsible people who have bred or adopted a "bad seed" that have nearly destroyed their life. BUT they should be responsible for their own actions/inactions. In this case there has to be several parties, unless they are all one, who have acted as accessories before the act, who, if adults, are more liable for prosecution than the girl.

Initial reports included an adult sister in the car. Was this false, or has someone decided to delete her name? Does the girl even have a sister?

Who owns this Honda Civic? Why isn't the owner being charged? Who is the mystery friend? Does he/she exist?

Did the parents know that she was driving under-aged? The mother's statement (she likes to speed) indicated that they did, but what have they done to stop her? If it turns out that the car was actually bought for the girl, how do the parents evade criminal responsibility?

I see some of the posters are having their usual high blood pressure rants...............dudes, ...have the strength to change things you can change, the patience to accept the things you cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference between the two.

a friend of mine in the english police once said to me

no such thing as a accidents these thing are created by the actions of others

the word simply means a event that has no blame on any one

this was not the case

this girl was in a hurry to ge some where and fuc_k any one else that gets in the way

driving standards in thailand border on the criminally insane

like there is a space i want it and i,m going to get it

the girls parents knew she did not have licence but still bought her car or alloewed her to buy one

they should be brought before same court for aiding this awfull event

Markt7081, the question that I have is do you have the matter settled in a court or is it the usual police negotiation. Maybe if more people refused to pay and insisted on being charged with something then the police might stop being judge, jury and executioner.

I am surprised that there hasn't been a lot of news and info from the survivors of the crash. I was able to meet with one of them on the 30th at Vihawadi Hospital. I was able to listen to his account, but I am yet to read any accounts from the other survivors. It seems the news is only interested in the 16 year old's account. Did any one come across any info from the survivors?

Edited by preechathan

I have to agree with you. Or at least say that there is a huge difference between a non-preventable accident and a preventable accident. I am reminded of my days as a principal, and one day a girl playing field hockey got angry and threw her field hockey stick in anger. It hit another student right in the mouth and broke off the two top front teeth right at the gum line, requiring the student to have horrendous dental surgery. In my office the girl kept saying, "I didn't mean to hurt him," and we kept saying, "That doesn't matter. Your intentional action of throwing that hockey stick -- which was totally inappropriate did hurt him. And now you are going to pay a price in terms of a suspension of school and your parents are going to be sued for medical expenses." "But I'm sorry!" "So what?"

You mistake the "court of public opinion" for a "court of law". People have the freedom to express their opinion. Of course, before she should be locked away she should have a fair trial. But, the public has every right to be outraged and to express that outrage. In fact, I would say they have a duty to be outraged, because the more outraged the public becomes over the issue, the greater the chance that an appropriate outcome will occur. The other choice is for all to be silent while the issue is swept under the rug.

I agree and I don't :)

The girl is guilty as hell, she should do hard time in jail on rice soup sleeping on a floor mat IMO.

The question of bail is a different matter though. She has strong connections to Thailand and is unlikely to flee, she is cooperating with the investigation. I see no reason to not grant her bail. Justice can be served when issue goes up in criminal court later this year, I am sure that she will come. Now, if full justice is going to be handed out or not is a different matter, it's unlikely actually but we must also consider this...

We must also take into consideration that the poorer with no famous surname do what the girl did more often than the rich and the standard that is set must be suitable for the poor too or the most significant change coming out of all this will be enforcement of the double morale that caused the uproar in the first place.

I was back in the village over New Year, a neighbour further down the (dirt) road had bought a Honda Scoopy for her 15 year old daughters birthday that she will use to drive the 17 kilometers (on main inter-city road) from the village to her school in amphur muang and back again every school day for 3 years without a licence. This is so common among the poor that if it were to stop suddenly, then it would put a visible dent in the GDP... I'm not saying that it shouldn't be stopped of course, but punishment must be suitable for the poor as well as the rich

I see an enormous improvement in traffic safety in Thailand the last 20 years. This unfortunate issue will help to improve it even further

Driving to school and back home

Years ago when I was studying in New Zealand there were many youngsters from the farm country driving to school and back home.

These youngsters did attend a driving school and when they passed the written and practical tests they were issued a DRIVING PERMIT and a large about 8 x 11 steel plate painted white with a LARGE “L” on it in red paint. This plate at all times had to be displayed by the rear license plate to show other road users that the driver was under age and had to drive slower than the other traffic. These students were allowed to drive following the most direct way to school and after school back to their home in the farm country. They were not allowed to have any other student with them in the vehicle. An adult could be in the vehicle, but must be a licensed driver.

Simple isn’t it? But nobody in charge in Thailand displays any interest in it, because they all are Seri Thai. (as Thais say, “we are free people”.)

I am surprised that there hasn't been a lot of news and info from the survivors of the crash. I was able to meet with one of them on the 30th at Vihawadi Hospital. I was able to listen to his account, but I am yet to read any accounts from the other survivors. It seems the news is only interested in the 16 year old's account. Did any one come across any info from the survivors?

What was his account? Does he remember anything about what was happening before the crash?

Phetaroi, that's a good example that illustrates an important legal point...

Someone above said the teenage girl didn't MEAN to cause the accident, so therefore she couldn't be held responsible under the law.

Well, intent is certainly one aspect, and if someone intends to commit a crime, that certainly goes against them.

But even without intent, criminal law generally recognizes "reckless disregard." Even totally without intent, if someone acts recklessly in a manner that causes death or injury to other, in most places, that's enough for some level of criminal conviction -- as it should be.

Separately, this thread has me thinking about "Thai justice". I'm guessing back in the old times, and maybe some places even today, justice would be settled by the head man in a village. He'd get the two parties together, hear the accounts, do whatever such guys do, and render his judgment. Maybe it was someone's animal who died. Maybe it was a drunken fight. Maybe someone stole money from someone... All suitable for disposition thru village justice.

But in the modern world, where a teen-age girl driving a car on the expressway can (if proven) cause or contribute to the sudden deaths of 9 people, I'm not sure the notion of village justice -- even if dispensed in modern Bangkok by the BIB and their payments book -- is a suitable remedy. Some things deserve to go beyond the traditional "say you're sorry and make some money."

And as I've said earlier, society has a legitimate interest in punishing those guilty of crimes in accord with the law to serve as a deterrent to others, to show that the law will be enforced, and to show that breaking it has real consequences such as loss of personal freedom. That's the way you build a lawful society... not by paying and accepting hush money to make a bad situation go quietly go away.