Any Rov Operators Out There ?

H2oDunc

Greetings all. I'm not sure if this is the best forum to post it so maybe the mods might have a better clue as to where ?

I just wondered if there were any ROV operators out there who could give me some pricing guidelines ? I am looking to get the approximate cost of setting up a ROV operation for maybe a week or so etc. I lost a very good friend of mine in a cave diving accident and to date we still have not recovered his body. Due to the depth and the difficulties for divers I was thinking of trying to raise the money to finance a search with an ROV. Any downsides or problems I might encounter or any other advice would be very welcome. Many thanks Dunc

Sorry to hear about your friend, similar thing happened to a guy I knew may years ago very sad

Although not directly involved with ROV's, I know a bit as we do use them.

Guessing you would be looking for an "eyeball" type ROV not a work class ROV, which in the cost side of things there are big differences in what you would pay per day, obviously the "eyeball" type is considerbly cheaper.

You can buy an "eyeball" type for between US$ 7-12k dependent on what you put on it, so this should give you and idea of what a typical day rate would be, my guess for the "eyeball" if EX Thailand would be US 1000/1500/day all in (know someone is going to jump in and correct me on this)

Should this go ahead are you intending to locate his body or try to recover as well ?, as this will make a big difference to the type of ROV you need, also how deep do you need to go approx ?

If this is in Thailand, why dont you have talk with Mermaid Maritime who run ROV's for offshore Thailand, they may be able to give you some better advice, or even "sponser" some assistance in what you are trying to do

Best of luck on this

Soutie

Cheers Southpeel. The idea would be to use the ROV to locate my friend then organise divers to go and recover him once we know his position. I believe he knew some of the guys from Mermaid so will drop them a line and ask. I have bought a DPV and am looking to adapt it with a techy friend to try. Not sure of the difficulties but its worth a try. I know that if it was me down there my friend would not give up till I was found so feel I can only keep trying.We are still going to be sending divers down there when we have time and the guys available but am thinking that a week with a remote may pay off in the long run.

Edited by H2oDunc

Hmmmm...I want to move this thread to help get some more traction for you. I'm thinking the Diving in Thailand forum would be best. But please let me know if you are not getting any responses.

Best of luck with your efforts.

//Moved//

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you found a Rov Operator in Thailand but I maybe able to help but since your original message is many years old maybe I think best to find out how you got on .

Just drop me a pm on here .

Cheers

Sub101uk

Not sure if you found a Rov Operator in Thailand but I maybe able to help but since your original message is many years old maybe I think best to find out how you got on .

Just drop me a pm on here .

Cheers

Sub101uk

sub, you have misread the date. The OP was made on 6th Jan, this year.

Thanks Judas

Yes after reading the message again I thought I had missed some thing been in the Rov / Diving game for over 39 years so know most of the people who maybe able to help the guy , But since this is just a one off deal it maybe best for H2oDunc to hire a vehicle and not buy one .So best if he Pms me and I will pass the companys that maybe able to help him .

Cheers

Sub101uk

Hi H2O Dunc,

I'm in Brunei at the mo ~ but I fly to Thailand frequently ~ qualified ROV Pilot ~ you hire the ROV, cover my basic expenses and I'll fly the thing for free for you wink.gif.

• What Depth?
  • What Location?
  • When Occurrence?
  • Has Recovery been attempted?

More details please ~ contact me through Facebook.

VBR

Nick

Nick Coburn Phillips

Diving & Underwater Tech