Motor Insurance

phutoie2

I have just been reading another article about the tollway crash in Bangkok.

It goes on about insurance and compensation at length, what is surprisng is that the insurance company of the car will pay out medical bills not totalling more than one million Baht.

The young girl driver does not have a driving licence, apparently she is not the owner of the car, so is the insurance company paying out on the owners insurance policy??

My wife who can drive our pickup is not legally qualified to drive either, so would our Thai insurance cover pay for other peoples medical expenses too in the event of a crash??

Its probably in the policy schedule somewhere and I am going to make (wife) read up on it!!.

Well I think I know the answer as my wife's surname does not end in Na Ayudhya but an explanation on Thais insurance policies by one of TV's experts would be welcome here.

My Class 1 insurance states that it is invalid if the car is used for unlawful purposes or used by someone without a licence. This is not applicable if it has been reported stolen.

That is not to say they would not pay for damage to third party. But they would then claim it from me. And damages to the car itself would not be covered.

Edited by Tanaka