Small Swimming/\Dipping Pool

bubbaba

I plan to build a small swimming or dipping pool in the center of our back garden for cooling off in the summer and for children to swim. I plan to build using cement. Size will be 12 feet wide by 16 feet long. Depth to run/sloop from 2 foot to 5 foot. How would you build it? Please give me your ideas, comments, whatever. I only have experience building small fish ponds and gravel bog gardens as filters. bubbaba

Not sure what you mean "how would I build it." I would first start with a set of drawings.

Gil

I meant to say - If you were doing this project yourself. Yes, make a plan. Then check details. But would you pour cement or use hollow block? Would you use iron? How much? Would you use tile or some type of white cement finish. What would you do at each step of the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this video out, Roman Rock swimming pools, dependent upon your ground water level this just might fit the bill.

Thanks for the reply. My water table here is 30 meters down, at least according to the water level in my mother in laws well next door. I checked after our last hard rain and there was no water in the pond. DRY. I need a cement or other type of liner for sure to hold water.

There are 3 ways:

Firslty study a building course of some sort so that you understand a thing of two about building, then go get a job with a pool builder for at least 5 years as a labourer, then about 2 years in supervision of building pools, then you will know how to properly build it.

Secondly, you could ask a few doods on the internet, and get all their ideas together, mash them together and hope it goes to plan and looks better than the last fish pond you made

Thirdly, you could employ a pool builder to do it.

On another note: My mother has a brain tumour and its going to be very expensive to operate on her. I think I might give it a go and do it myself. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do it?

• 1 month later...

Hell no, do it yourself, do it yourself as it is only a small dipping pool why have somebody charge you out the butt for their so called expertise, remember in Thailand the Thai is swinging the hammer and if your lucky the foreign pro is supervising, sometimes :blink: Think of the cost savings, of course the reply is What if you mess it up, then it will cost you more, so what I would rather F it up myself go through the ups and downs and eventually be proud of the end results, go for it...comparing a brain tumor and building a swimming pool, a bit of a stretch isn't it :lol: