Visual Basic

davehowden

Visual Basic (VB) is the third-generation event-driven programming language and integrated development environment (IDE) from Microsoft for its COM programming model. Visual Basic is relatively easy to learn and use.

Visual Basic was derived from BASIC and enables the rapid application development (RAD) of graphical user interface (GUI) applications, access to databases using Data Access Objects, Remote Data Objects, or ActiveX Data Objects, and creation of ActiveX controls and objects. Scripting languages such as VBA and VBScript are syntactically similar to Visual Basic, but perform differently.

A programmer can put together an application using the components provided with Visual Basic itself. Programs written in Visual Basic can also use the Windows API, but doing so requires external function declarations.

The final release was version 6 in 1998. Microsoft's extended support ended in March 2008 and the designated successor was Visual Basic .NET (now known simply as Visual Basic).

source

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun DaveHowden,

Yes, very well, made a lot of money ten years ago doing custom applications that interacted with Excel using VB5 and the VB6, but, like most VB programmers, abandoned it for C# when Microsoft came out with .NET, and VB.NET turned out to be a crippled pig, semantically, and in other ways as well.

To elicit more comments, suggest you say why you are asking, what you want to do, etc.

best, ~o:37;

Also yes. Develop control, monitoring and data acquisition systems for physics research machines at universities and use it nearly daily for decades. As Orang said, do you have a specific project/question in mind?

This would probably be better off in the Computer forum but will wait and see if you have a reason for it being in the CM forum.

Same as you Orang, did not switch to VB.NET due to many years of software having to be converted plus it is just too top heavy.

The question was do you know VB, I assume not?

I did 10 years ago. But remember very little now. However, if it's very basic, then I might spot a problem if that is what you need. If you are looking for someone to solve your entire assignment, then I am not the man for the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

Would you be prepared to give a little help with a Function call that I cannot get to work please?

I am trying to call the function printStory but cannot work out what it wants as the parameter (e), I have also enclosed the function drawPage which this function calls.

Public Sub printStory(ByVal e As PrintPageEventArgs)

drawPage(e.Graphics, fPagePrinting)

If Not (fStory.IsLastPage(fPagePrinting)) Then

fPagePrinting = fPagePrinting + 1

e.HasMorePages = True

Else

e.HasMorePages = False

fPagePrinting = 0

End If

End Sub

Public Sub drawPage(ByVal g As Graphics, ByVal pageNum As Integer)

Dim pic As Bitmap

Dim left As Single

Dim top As Single

Dim w As Single

Dim h As Single

Dim scale, spaceW, spaceH As Single

Dim aFont As Font

aFont = New Font(FontFamily.GenericSansSerif, 24, FontStyle.Regular)

pic = getPicture(pageNum)

spaceW = DefaultPageSettings.Bounds.Width

spaceH = DefaultPageSettings.Bounds.Height - 70

If pic IsNot Nothing Then

If spaceW / pic.Width < spaceH / pic.Height Then

scale = spaceW / pic.Width

Else

scale = spaceH / pic.Height

End If

w = pic.Width * scale

h = pic.Height * scale

left = (spaceW - w) / 2

top = (spaceH - h) / 2

g.DrawImage(pic, left, top, w, h)

g.DrawString(getText(pageNum), aFont, Brushes.Black, getTextLeft(g, aFont, pageNum), 2 * top + h)

End If

End Sub

• 2 months later...