Architect Chiang Mai

seesip

Depends on what you need - if you only need plans drawn according to your ideas any architect will do - they all charge differently though. I at the end went with the local OrBorDor's office architect who charged me less than half of what other architects asked - he was very slow though. And the nice thing is they are also the ones who issue your building permit - which came together with the final plan.

Every OrBorDor office has an architect in charge of building permits surely none of them will turn down the opportunity to make some extra income on the side - of course you don't go there as a Farang - sent a Thai to do the negotiating for the price first - it saved me more than 40.000 Baht..

• 4 months later...

I am an architect residing in Chiang Mai, though most of my work is done in the Bangkok area. I worked with A49 many years ago and hold myself to the same standards as they do. Let me know if I can be of any help. Pomme

• 1 year later...

Sorry BUMP.

I an Looking for an architect to draw up plans and get the permits. Looking for western style design and good quality construction ( skirting boards, floating floor well insulated etc) not the usual Thai

If you know how to use Google sketchup and design your own.

All the draw up plans and get the permits will cost a few thousand baths

Sorry BUMP.

I an Looking for an architect to draw up plans and get the permits. Looking for western style design and good quality construction ( skirting boards, floating floor well insulated etc) not the usual Thai

Western design and construction in the West is largely also based around the materials readily available and which are already produced to achieve certain "u" values and loads and not necessarily what is required here.

When someone designs a building here to western designs, I would say they are "overdesigned", for the weather conditions being largely based on brick and timber; the opposite of what is the norm here.

Sorry thats a contraversial statement; but yes they can look western even if they are "clad" with the facing brick to look the part.

But if you want a western house, brick, block, trusses, insulation, timber, skirts and archs,kitchen (whats that?) be prepared for a hike in the cost aswell as a shortage of labour skill able to achieve that standard.

PM me if you need western plans preparing, not mine but snapped this one a couple days back, how cool is this.post-150623-0-13912800-1342097148_thumb.

But if you want a western house, brick, block, trusses, insulation, timber, skirts and archs,kitchen (whats that?) be prepared for a hike in the cost aswell as a shortage of labour skill able to achieve that standard.

PM me if you need western plans preparing, not mine but snapped this one a couple days back, how cool is this.post-150623-0-13912800-1342097148_thumb.

Yes, that is cool.. Well, as in exciting. Not sure if it would also be naturally cool temperature wise. Like you already mentioned, those big diagonal structural beams would take specific skills that aren't easily found.

Depends on what you need - if you only need plans drawn according to your ideas any architect will do - they all charge differently though. I at the end went with the local OrBorDor's office architect who charged me less than half of what other architects asked - he was very slow though. And the nice thing is they are also the ones who issue your building permit - which came together with the final plan.

Every OrBorDor office has an architect in charge of building permits surely none of them will turn down the opportunity to make some extra income on the side - of course you don't go there as a Farang - sent a Thai to do the negotiating for the price first - it saved me more than 40.000 Baht..

That's what my wife and I did. We almost went to an advertized architect, but then we asked a neighbor what he did building his almost new house, and he referred us to the government gentleman who issues the permits. We had a fairly detailed sketch of what we wanted to end up with to give him. We had about 3 meetings with him, he addressed all our concerns and came up with the blueprints to submit to basically himself and/or the contractor. The total cost was 30K baht, paid for in installments as he did the work. It was all done straight away within a few weeks and all the approvals by like 7 guys were included in the price. No waiting for approvals, they all seem to work together on side-jobs! We were nothing but pleased with the deal and how it worked out. The contractor was not very good at reading the blueprints, however, got to keep on top of that.

At least with Google Sketchup you get 3D perspectives, so he'd know roughly what the intention is. ;) For major structures though like houses you really want someone who knows building; the drawings would include what materials to use, column size, the type of rebar, etc.