Crime Creeping To Surin Beach

1wazza1

Surin Beach, a haven for tourists and locals who wish to escape from the overdeveloped, over populated and unsafe beaches further south. Those beaches unfortunately for some time now have been suffering from scams and bullying by local gangs who claim ownership of the beaches and business areas and now Surin Beach also has finally fallen foul this season to some unsavory locals who are set on spoiling this tranquil location for those who reside here.

With groups of jet ski operators moving in this season even though Surin is not one of the 5 beaches where these noisy and dangerous machines are allowed and at the same time bringing their scams with them where they fake damage to the machines and bully tourists into paying exorbitant fees for the so called repairs, there must be someone in the local municipality who is aware of these unsavory activities.

Additionally only this week we witnessed a young lady selling fruit amongst a beach full of tourists bashed by 5 men in front of everyone in mid daylight and told to stay off the beach selling her fruit as this beach was owned by this gang. The poor woman is still in hospital and lucky not to have suffered more severe damage to herself after being hit with a chair by one of these criminals.

These two activities alone is enough to chase families away who will bring their children to this beach for it's safety and peacefulness bringing with them much needed tourist dollars which help to keep this local community alive.

A dangerous beach it is not but if these types of criminal elements are not kept away it soon will be as the gangs will think they can get away with whatever they want as we have seen in other areas of Phuket.

If you ever witness or have a problem like these please contact the Police immediately and help us clean up Surin Beach as I for one will not sit back and allow it to be ruined by a group of wannabe gangsters who only think that the beach is here for them to spoil.

I look forward to the return of a safe and peaceful Surin Beach in the near future,

Passionate About Phuket

there must be someone in the local municipality who is aware of these unsavory activities.

Sure they are.. Hes gotta make his fortuna payments somehow !!

Personally the fencing off and claiming the beach for private enterprise I find fairly annoying also.. Theres little enough public spaces.

Phuket really is becoming a shitehole! No law enforcement, no local authorities willing to take a stand against criminals. It is very true what they say, Thailand is for Thais and they are welcome to it. Plenty of other places in the world with cleaner beaches, rule of law and cheaper too. I have lived worked here for five years and I feel that it has gotten worse in that time. Now all I do is just save all my money, spending s little as I can here in the local economy and counting the days until I leave this so called Pearl of the Andaman. RIP Phuket!!!

Edited by pmgthailand

It is a sorry indictment of Phuket that Mr. Somchai SadSack in the local authority gains face by driving a Fortuna paid for by bribes and corrupton than for actually doing his job. Being a policeman or on the local authority mst be a license to print money here. Face is everything here but it is arse backwards, it should be considered a loss of face to accept bribes, overcharge tourist and to drive recklessly not the other way around as it seems to be here.

there must be someone in the local municipality who is aware of these unsavory activities.

Personally the fencing off and claiming the beach for private enterprise I find fairly annoying also.. Theres little enough public spaces.

Now all I do is just save all my money, spending s little as I can here in the local economy and counting the days until I leave this so called Pearl of the Andaman.

Those of us who get tired of the Phuket bashing crew that comes out in threads like this are counting too............

It is a sorry indictment of Phuket that Mr. Somchai SadSack in the local authority gains face by driving a Fortuna paid for by bribes and corrupton than for actually doing his job. Being a policeman or on the local authority mst be a license to print money here. Face is everything here but it is arse backwards, it should be considered a loss of face to accept bribes, overcharge tourist and to drive recklessly not the other way around as it seems to be here.

you are really bitter arnt you? i m surprised its took you so long to find out that Phuket dont suit you...but never forget we are guests here even if we live here and if we dont LIKE it...we have a choice..we STAY or we GO...UP TO YOU..

you are really bitter arnt you? i m surprised its took you so long to find out that Phuket dont suit you...but never forget we are guests here even if we live here and if we dont LIKE it...we have a choice..we STAY or we GO...UP TO YOU..

a third choise could be to decide to go, and enjoy and stop complaning about ones miserable life until then :D

>> Plenty of other places in the world with cleaner beaches, rule of law and cheaper too

Please enlighten me to where these places are as I'm always up for a new adventure.

Costa Rica is established.

Panama is developed and has modern facilities. It is an up and comer. It is politically calm.

For the commies there's Nicaragua.

El Salvador has calmed down.

And of course tried & true Belize.

In the Carribean there is Antigua, and some of the countries off the beaten path. Grenada is making a come back.

In South America, Chile is doing ok. Uraguay is calm and fairly modern.

In the South Pacific, Vanuatu is still welcoming. I haven't been to Tonga, but it gets nice reviews. If you like adventures, then Western Samoa is cool. People aren't fat slobs like in American Samoa. I found Samoans pleasing to the eye and incredibly sensual in their evangelical shy way.

None of the above is any worse than Thailand and I would offer that each has some advantages. Thailand is a nice place, but it's not the center of the universe and some folks might be happier elsewhere.

You are right gom, I should stop complaining about the dangerous driving habits, over charging, cost of living, rule of law, crime and murders etc. and should only post positive things about Phuket ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

can't think of any off hand but I'll get back to you on that one.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

nice weather!

Now all I do is just save all my money, spending s little as I can here in the local economy and counting the days until I leave this so called Pearl of the Andaman.

Those of us who get tired of the Phuket bashing crew that comes out in threads like this are counting too............

You are right gom, I should stop complaining about the dangerous driving habits, over charging, cost of living, goldiggin' girlfriends, to be treated fairly, the rule of law, crimes and murders, noisy neighbors, barking dogs, garbage strewn up and down my street every morning etc. and should only post positive things about Phuket ...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

can't think of any off hand but I'll get back to you on that one.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Edited by pmgthailand

Phuket really is becoming a shitehole! No law enforcement, no local authorities willing to take a stand against criminals. It is very true what they say, Thailand is for Thais and they are welcome to it. Plenty of other places in the world with cleaner beaches, rule of law and cheaper too. I have lived worked here for five years and I feel that it has gotten worse in that time. Now all I do is just save all my money, spending s little as I can here in the local economy and counting the days until I leave this so called Pearl of the Andaman. RIP Phuket!!!

Sounds like another FF.. (Farang Failure) If the op were rolling in Baht and Pooying mahk mahk things would be different!

wrongo

I have a good job and like I said in my previous post I am saving my money instead of frittering it away on what Phuket has to offer. That is the only reason that I am still here! I just don't like the place and don't think that I ever will. Not really had any bad experiences here but the attitude of the people in Phuket, not the people of Thailand and our lack of any kind of status here as foreigners just does not make me feel good about the place. When I see posts about Phuket, like this one it only makes me like the place even less, if that is possible.

Sounds like another FF.. (Farang Failure) If the op were rolling in Baht and Pooying mahk mahk things would be different!

Edited by pmgthailand

Correction; I try to buy most of the things that I need to live day to day locally. The locals know me, are more friendlier and the quality of fresh fruit and vegetables are excellent. I seldom use the larger franchise outlets.

Edited by pmgthailand

Does anyone know what happened to my original thread??? It was about Surin Beach and the recent instances of crime and corruption. I know that this may be boring to some of you and you'd rather bag each other but maybe there is someone out there, anyone who has something related to the original topic to discuss??

Has anyone had any such experience or been a witness to any bad experiences similar to what I discussed in my opening statement?

>> Plenty of other places in the world with cleaner beaches, rule of law and cheaper too

Please enlighten me to where these places are as I'm always up for a new adventure.

Panama is developed and has modern facilities. It is an up and comer. It is politically calm.

In the Carribean there is Antigua, and some of the countries off the beaten path. Grenada is making a come back.

In the South Pacific, Vanuatu is still welcoming. I haven't been to Tonga, but it gets nice reviews. If you like adventures, then Western Samoa is cool. People aren't fat slobs like in American Samoa. I found Samoans pleasing to the eye and incredibly sensual in their evangelical shy way.

None of the above is any worse than Thailand and I would offer that each has some advantages. Thailand is a nice place, but it's not the center of the universe and some folks might be happier elsewhere.

I've actually looked into many of the above, but are they better, cheaper and safer, offering good serviices etc. ? My research says no, but I guess it's down to how you live and your preferences. Myself, I like a nice lifestyle, tropical weather, easy access to other places (int'l airport being minutes away), and safe for families.

about 10 days ago i was at the beach and while having a little walk up the beach i noticed an ongoing argument berween a young tourist and a jet ski gang,it sounded like he was asking for some money back and the ringleader kept deying the request ,the ringleader then lost his temper and started shouting out loud and told him "not to come back to thailand next year", the young man walked away empty handed then the ringleader looked back at all the tourists behind him on the deckchairs and shooted "he no good" !!!!! The right thing to do is to ban the hiring of jetskis and motorcycles,its an open invitation to trouble.

I've actually looked into many of the above, but are they better, cheaper and safer, offering good serviices etc. ? My research says no, but I guess it's down to how you live and your preferences. Myself, I like a nice lifestyle, tropical weather, easy access to other places (int'l airport being minutes away), and safe for families.

I suggest you make an effort and visit some of these places, especially Panama. You may be overwhelmed by the services and welcoming atmosphere. The advantage of Panama is that it is close to true business hubs in the region. The international shipping industry presence and the legacy of the US involvement means that the infrastructure leaves Thailand looking like a backwards 3rd world country still mired in the 1960's. From MSN; Panama is one of the best places in the world for retirees today, combining a low cost of living, near-perfect weather and one of the world's best discount programs for retirees, with up to 50% off everything from public transport to movies, mortgage rates, doctor's visits, electricity, restaurants and airfare.

-Newcomers who buy or build a new house won't owe any property taxes for 20 years.

-Residents pay no taxes on foreign-earned income.

-Tourism investments have 20-year exemptions from import duties, fees for construction materials and equipment, and income, real estate and other taxes.

- Anyone over the age of 18 may apply and can qualify as a pensionado in Panama. All you need is a guaranteed pension income of $500 per month ($600 for a couple). It must be a pension from a government agency (e.g. Social Security, disability, armed forces, etc.) or a defined-benefit pension from a private company.

Personal income tax is based on a sliding scale from a minimum of 4% to a maximum of 30%. A Value Added Tax of 5% to 10% is charged on most products and services. Transfer taxes on real estate are paid by the seller, and there is no inheritance tax or gift tax.

-Construction quality is available unlike in Thailand and Panama has some of the most affordable homes. E.g. In $US, furnished studios start at less than $60,000, beachfront condos from $77,000. A two-bedroom, 1,300-square-foot apartment in the banking district in a building with a pool and gym costs around $150,000. A two-bedroom apartment with views of the bay and maid's quarters costs $160,000 (and rents for $1,100 per month).Compare the Panama Visa treatment to that offered by Thailand;Turista Pensionado - Pensioned Tourist: This visa is designed for persons whose pension from a government entity or private corporation is $500 or more ($600 or more for a couple per month). It is an indefinite visa subject to annual review. No 90 day reporting, no visa runs, no nonsense. . You can buy property and own it unlike Thailand. The benefits of this type of visa make Thailand a joke; They include one-time exemption of duties for the importation of household goods (up to $10,000) and an exemption every two years of duties for the importation of a car. There is also a basket of other benefits and discounts available to those holding this Visa. It is an instant permanent residency program. In respect to the topic in this thread, there is crime in Panama just as there is in Phuket, but the difference is that the crime is not in the expat retirement communities. Because of the business structure and international busienss hubs located in Panama, the locals officials don't need to take a cut from jet skis and the taxi mafia.

Check it out. Panama is what Thailand thought it was. It is where I intend to visit and take an inventory of lcoations for my retirement. And one last point, the Pnamanian medical facilities make Thailand's medical systems look like African bush clinics.

I go to Surin beach almost daily (specifically at the bar where the jet ski's are run from) but have never seen any problems except for one day when some tourists were smoking weed on a deck chair (at a different bar) who were promptly taken away by the police.

I have heard that at night in some of the dark areas leading to the beach kids sometimes try to rob tourists, but again I have never seen it happen.

about 10 days ago i was at the beach and while having a little walk up the beach i noticed an ongoing argument berween a young tourist and a jet ski gang,it sounded like he was asking for some money back and the ringleader kept deying the request ,the ringleader then lost his temper and started shouting out loud and told him "not to come back to thailand next year", the young man walked away empty handed then the ringleader looked back at all the tourists behind him on the deckchairs and shooted "he no good" !!!!! The right thing to do is to ban the hiring of jetskis and motorcycles,its an open invitation to trouble.

well said, agree 100%...but also anticpate that it will not happen and surin will degenerate into the same scum pond serveral other beaches have....sad

If it's out of order to name the restaurant responsible for this episode of thuggery

wouldn't it be some sense to name the restaurants that are not involved

and then we can go to them ONLY.

Surely there aren't that many along this stretch?

Fencing beach is certainly illegal.

If it's out of order to name the restaurant responsible for this episode of thuggery

wouldn't it be some sense to name the restaurants that are not involved

and then we can go to them ONLY.

Surely there aren't that many along this stretch?

Fencing beach is certainly illegal.

It seems after a good deal of research another Phuket News Hound has uncovered the name of the restaurant responsible for the thuggery,

It is a word close to that we used to use as Boy Scouts when saying the oath etc Dib Dib Dib

Another one happening in the same area printed up today.. Tho this time they tried to bully a judge.. When she told them its public he starts shouting 'my boss is mayor Manot' superb !!

Anyway sure looks like mob mentality and jetski strife has spread to Bang Tao and Surin.

Does anyone know what happened to my original thread??? It was about Surin Beach and the recent instances of crime and corruption. I know that this may be boring to some of you and you'd rather bag each other but maybe there is someone out there, anyone who has something related to the original topic to discuss??

Has anyone had any such experience or been a witness to any bad experiences similar to what I discussed in my opening statement?

To me, Surin beach during the day, during high season is like a minnie Patong beach. I only go there in the evening about an hour before sunset, it's very nice then especially if the tide is out.

I'm not saying this isn't an issue and certainly not defending the violent behaviour, but aren't you being a bit melodramatic. Jet skis operating where they shouldn't is hardly news, and the acts of violence seem to be very far and few between.

You will probably find, that now you have a bee in your bonnet about it, you will notice ever little thing, and interpret things differently than before. Be concerned, try and change things if you really need to, but don't make it a bigger problem than it is, a couple of isolated incidents. Otherwise, in 5 years from now, you'll be the next 'Pgmthailand', boring the pants off of everybody, about wanting to leave!