Tourist Question About Motorbikes.

tab

I will visit Thailand this month and want to know if it's safe for farangs to rent and drive small motorbikes, e.g., , Honda Dream? I have done so in Chiang Mai

but it was not a safe experience. I'm assuming Chiang Rai traffic will be more farang friendly for motortbikes. Am I correct? I'll be staying at the Pinammin hotel so

it looks like it might be a fair distance to town. I have been "fined" while riding a motorbike by the "police" in Sihanoukville. I'm assuming the local Thai guys won't resort to small time robbery of the tourists. Also please mention any reputable montorbike rental shops.

Thanks for any comments.

Rental of any motorbike can be dangerous , Chiang Rai is no different than anywhere and over the Christmas / New year Period , Chiang Rai came top of the accident hot list in Thailand with 114 reported

accidents. The number of deaths and injured were not reported on.

Police here do the checks now and again and issue tickets if you break the law, I have never been robbed by them .

Motorbikes can be rented for 150 bht UP per day , deposit required .

Many rental places near Jetyod Road but many hotels have their own bikes to rent out .

Rental of any motorbike can be dangerous , Chiang Rai is no different than anywhere and over the Christmas / New year Period , Chiang Rai came top of the accident hot list in Thailand with 114 reported

accidents. The number of deaths and injured were not reported on.

Police here do the checks now and again and issue tickets if you break the law, I have never been robbed by them .

Motorbikes can be rented for 150 bht UP per day , deposit required .

Many rental places near Jetyod Road but many hotels have their own bikes to rent out .

We had about 5 deaths in our extended Village over the new year, not sure if they were motorbike related or just Thais letting off steam.

Deaths and new Year Aside. The traffic in Chiang Rai is at the other end of the scale compared to Chiang Mai. If you avoid the morning and evening Rush Hour.

Several friends recommend the rental shop that can be found going north from the Fat Free Bicycle shop, about one half block. I think the name of the place is called Work at Home. It is also a nice cafe and has the best tuna sandwiches in town. If you need the particulars, I'll get them and post them here or PM you. Anyway, the recommendations include no BS about damage to rentals. Honest folks, I am told, concerning the rentals.

Concerning the dangers, don't sweat it. Considering how many cycles are on the road here on any given day, your chances of trouble are pretty small. Same with the cops. Even if they get you, it isn't a biggie.

If you arrive here and need help or transport to the shop, let me know. I can pick you up at the airport or the bus station.

Just relax about your time here. Horror stories for tourists here are few and far between.

Chiang Rai has the highest accident rate of all Thailand.

Unless you are a very skilled and experienced motorcyle rider, don't ride here or anywhere in LOS.

Takes time to adjust to the local way of driving. Even then, drive defensive.

Unless you are a very skilled and experienced motorcyle rider, don't ride here or anywhere in LOS.

That is the numbers over New Year and that is because we got 3 times more cars, pickups and Black Fortuners than normal and most of them are Bangkok people driving as stupid idiots. Rest of the year except for Song Kran is OK.

Use the helmet, strap it, use your brain when you are driving and you will be OK.

ST-Motorbikes, 50 m south of the Clock Tower on Yet Yod has good motorbikes and they are good people.

Have a good time in the Rai!

:D:):D

Maybe as a province.

Koh Samui is far more dangerous.

Bad roads, no helmets, 8 year old driving like wasps and then tourists that think it's the perfect place to learn how to ride. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...