PM Abhisit Details '9 New Year Gifts'

webfact

when Thaksin applied populist policies the Democrat party cried foul....and now Abhisit is following suit, what's now..

It's called moral hazard. Thaksin started it, now the people have been led to expect it, Abhisit is held hostage to it's continuance. At least he's refining Thaksin's irresponsible vote-buying populism to make the whole "gifts" package more productive and sustainable moving forward; along with a whole stack of new, responsible welfare programs that will actually seriously help the next generation. See below.

I note with interest that these "ideas" are almost identical to the "ideas" Thaksin proposed a few years back.

Doesn't this remind you of the meeting between the pigs and the humans at Animal Farm?

No. It reminds me of a separated marriage where young children are involved, with an equally shared custody arrangement.

The kids bounce from one partner to the other, back and forth. One partner is irresponsible and doesn't make them do their homework, let's them eat junk food non-stop, etc. They go to the other partner who tries to do what's in their long-term interest. Tries to make them do their homework, eat healthy home-cooked meals, etc.

And their reaction?

And the responsible partner's inevitable reaction? If they wish to ever see their children and not be hated as they grow up?

Not much choice, is there...they make the concessions, and try to improve on them, and slowly wean their children off the things that are bad for them.

Wow, what a great analogy. I'm sure you're all rational and willing and intelligent enough to agree.

It seems to me to show how utterly shallow and bereft of real ideas K Abhisit actually is.An ineffective PM who is so inept he can't even disguise someone else's ideas to make them look like his own.Almost everything he's tried todo is vetted or vetoed by his army sponsors and the country is sliding into a military dictatorship - no wonder they have such strong ties to Burma - for some in govt it's a role-model. And abhisit - flabby cabbage that he is - seems completely incapable of standing up to them or even for himself

Hey buddy, this post is way out of line. It's full of outrageous lies. And I'm pretty sure you're as aware of that as anyone. Please have some dignity and self-respect. There is no room in the discussion for people willing to simply lie outright, in such an outrageous and deceitful manner. Purely to suit some vague agenda they have.

Men walk upright. Don't crawl in the gutter.

I'm being very polite, I would request you kindly note. A bit of dignity, if you please.

More gifts to come…They include

- Welfare for pregnant women and children from birth till the age of two

- Free milk for pregnant women to improve their health conditions

- Food supplements for pregnant but unhealthy women

- Gifts and counselling for breastfeeding mothers

- 24-hour hotline on the hygiene of mothers and their babies

- Welfare for children aged between three and five years old

- Setting up a centre to encourage private businesses to provide nursery centres in exchange for tax incentives

- Requiring all tambon administrative organisations to operate nursery centres

- Free care for pre-school children of construction workers/employees

- Solving problems facing landless people

- Establishing special economic zones for agricultural sectors

- Boosting educational opportunities among children outside schools

- Giving cash awards of Bt10,000 each to outstanding teachers

- Special grants worth Bt500,000 each to outstanding teachers in remote areas

- Overhauling the judicial and political system to reduce social injustices

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-10

But all those green ones are for the next generation. They're designed to break the cycle of poverty and suffering.

Education? blech. Why do my daughters need an education for? They're very nearly old enough to work for themselves, doing whatever it is they want (and we'll respect their decision) at 13 and 16 years old. The world is their oyster. Options galore.

Education? Who is this Abhisit joker...

How can they be expected to value worthless, future gestures. When they want cash now. It's no wonder Avudh appears to have missed the memo announcing them....