Beach Chair Rental

toenail

Deck chair on Dongtan eh? I like that idea. Remind me please how to go there. Is that where you take a right at the junction of the Jomtien beach road and go right? Left is the main stretch along the Jomtien beach? Hopefully one can actually rest there not bothered every one minute by the constant stream of hawkers and vendors. That is my one biggest complaint about the beach. Just can't be left alone. A few vendors I don't mind, but every minute or so waking me up literally keeps me off the beach

Thanks

Deck chair on Dongtan eh? I like that idea. Remind me please how to go there. Is that where you take a right at the junction of the Jomtien beach road and go right? Left is the main stretch along the Jomtien beach? Hopefully one can actually rest there not bothered every one minute by the constant stream of hawkers and vendors. That is my one biggest complaint about the beach. Just can't be left alone. A few vendors I don't mind, but every minute or so waking me up literally keeps me off the beach

Thanks

They are in the area almost at the end of the road on Dongtan Beach. Most likely they are used mainly by people staying in Pattaya Park. I noticed them when I was walking past early in the mornings. I would imagine there would be far less vendors in this area compared to Jomtien Beach. :huh:

Thanks

They are in the area almost at the end of the road on Dongtan Beach. Most likely they are used mainly by people staying in Pattaya Park. I noticed them when I was walking past early in the mornings. I would imagine there would be far less vendors in this area compared to Jomtien Beach. :huh:

Thanks Salty and CHDiver. I shall meander that way on my next trip. I hope it is soon. "Unfortunately", I am having trouble getting laid off of this darn job. The client keeps paying me and extending my contract. I only went to the LOS for two weeks last year, and that was in May when they were shooting up Bangkok, had the curfew for a few nights in Pattaya, and it was extra hot weather.

Over the years, I learned to enjoy being laid off, using that time to travel and doing my internet job searches for my next contract while in Thailand. After all, WWW does stand for World Wide Web. Oh well. There certainly are worse problems.

Thanks again

• 5 weeks later...

some visitor friends reported yesterday that they were asked 50 baht a chair if it was near to the sea and to the cordoned off swimming area at the North end of pattaya beach

when challenged about the overcharge they said they had to pay 20 baht more to sit there as it was nearer

they also said they had to pay more to city hall to pay for the buoys (should that be boys?)

personally i thought there was very little beach left to actually sit on in that area...........

I am not a tourist, I have lived in Thailand for the last 13 years.

This is not a case of bargaining a good price nor about principles.

For god's sake it's about being too tight to part with 20 Baht to relax on the beach for the entire day.

I do bargain for prices if I know that I am being ripped off but I will not ruin my leasure time by whinging about USD 0.64 (41 pence).

As i mention above I live in Thailand but I am real glad that I do not live in an area where the Thais think that we are just cheap Charlies (and rightfully so in some cases).

Anyway, enjoy your baloon chasing.

I'm no cheap charlie, but I too wouldn't pay an extra 20 baht if I was alone. It's about being ripped off, not about paying and extra USD 0.64.

You don't understand the psychology behind being ripped off. It's not about comparitive value at all. It's the fact that you're being charged more than everyone else.

And you're wrong about the Khao San Road backpackers. No way they would pay 50 baht for a beach chair. NO ***** WAY!

Edited by tropo

It is a pity that they do not enforce the english [not sure about nowadays]system where the beach is FREE to anyone who brings their own seating.And Deckchairs are left in a pile and ONLY put on the beach when somebody requires one.

The umbrellas are more important than the deck chairs. I certainly wouldn't want to sit in my own deck chair and roast in the tropical sun to save 30 or 50 baht.

Edited by tropo

It is a pity that they do not enforce the english [not sure about nowadays]system where the beach is FREE to anyone who brings their own seating.And Deckchairs are left in a pile and ONLY put on the beach when somebody requires one.

The umbrellas are more important than the deck chairs. I certainly wouldn't want to sit in my own deck chair and roast in the tropical sun to save 30 or 50 baht.

I guess you are happy to be unable [too inebriated?] to WALK along a peaceful sandy beach

Otherwise you would realize that UMBRELLAS along with chairs could/should ONLY be placed [crammed is a better description] for people using/wanting them.

Some years back I would walk along Jomtien beach early in the morning before the dreadful 'owners' of the beach arrived.

It was a pleasing experience.

Edited by 4.real

I guess you are happy to be unable [too inebriated?] to WALK along a peaceful sandy beach

Otherwise you would realize that UMBRELLAS along with chairs could/should ONLY be placed [crammed is a better description] for people using/wanting them.

I never walk, lie or sit on the beach. After spending 20 years on the Gold Coast and living beach front, I was spoiled.

You misunderstood my post. Some people suggested bringing along their own deck chairs to save hiring them. My point was that a chair without an umbrella is useless.

Edited by tropo

And I am sure all the Pattaya-Cheap Charlies also expect the beach/vendors to replace sun-beds, mattresses and umbrellas yearly, preferably 5***** resort quality.

And off course if they already spent 20 Baht on a mineral water - they could get across the street for 9 Baht @ 7/11 - at least a couple of chairs and umbrellas should be included, maybe also a free massage. After all, these vendors get bloody rich of the water sales already. This place is hilarious!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

And I am sure all the Pattaya-Cheap Charlies also expect the beach/vendors to replace sun-beds, mattresses and umbrellas yearly, preferably 5***** resort quality.

What has paying the correct price got to do with being a "Pattaya Cheap Charlie"? Reminder: This thread is about a person being charged 50 baht for a 30 baht chair.

What has paying the correct price got to do with being a "Pattaya Cheap Charlie"? Reminder: This thread is about a person being charged 50 baht for a 30 baht chair.

Hi Tropo

You are right off course. :jap:

Hi Tropo

Perhaps you should go back and read the OP. There have been plenty of other threads where you can give us your cheap charlie rant.

Hi Tropo

Perhaps you should go back and read the OP. There have been plenty of other threads where you can give us your cheap charlie rant.

It seems there are rather too many here who wish to look like billionaires.

I remember when Koh Samuii was a good place to holiday You could get on a baht bus and travel anywhere and pay 10 baht no matter the distance.

Now [because of the filthy rich who threw money at them] you are paying london black cab prices ..or if you don'y like it they will drive off.

Most thai workers earn 220 baht for a 9 hour day...The going rate...

Yet there are still those who want to appear as the big pu yai ...

I guess they were nobodies before they got their large redundancies or grannie left them her house in her will.