First 90 Days Coming Up On My 1 Year Visa

My first 90 days of my 1 year multi-entry non-imm O visa ends on Jan.31st

I've been reading about mailing something to "check-in" and it seems that's an alternative to border runs... not sure.

I'm looking for clarification on what makes mailing in (something) an option.

Thanks.

No, your visa allows you to come during the 1 year the VISA is valid (1 year from date of issue) and each time you enter you are allowed to stay for up to 90 days. At the end of the 90 days you have to leave the country, but can come back the same hour for another entry of 90 days. By leaving and re-entering a day before the VISA expires you can get almost 15 months out of it.

You only do a 90 day report if you stay longer than 90 days, what you are not allowed. In order for you to be allowed to stay longer than 90 days you must get an extension of stay, for which you must have a valid reason and comply with the conditions set by immigration.

For example being over 50 or being married to a Thai national. If you tell us your reason for getting a non-O visa, we can tell you if you might qualify for an extension of stay.

No, your visa allows you to come during the 1 year the VISA is valid (1 year from date of issue) and each time you enter you are allowed to stay for up to 90 days. At the end of the 90 days you have to leave the country, but can come back the same hour for another entry of 90 days. By leaving and re-entering a day before the VISA expires you can get almost 15 months out of it.

You only do a 90 day report if you stay longer than 90 days, what you are not allowed. In order for you to be allowed to stay longer than 90 days you must get an extension of stay, for which you must have a valid reason and comply with the conditions set by immigration.

For example being over 50 or being married to a Thai national. If you tell us your reason for getting a non-O visa, we can tell you if you might qualify for an extension of stay.

Thank you. My visa is based on marriage to a Thai national.

Edited by fractrain

That means you have the option of getting a 1 year extension of stay every year if you can show:

an income of 40,000 THB a month (can be from abroad)

OR

can show 400,000 THB in a bank account in Thailand in your name. Money has to be there for at least 2 months

You also have to show a lot of paperwork etc for the extension to check if you are really married and not faking it, but above is the requirement. You can apply during the last 30 days of any permission to stay. So you can apply now or make a border run and apply after 60 days.

That means you have the option of getting a 1 year extension of stay every year if you can show:

an income of 40,000 THB a month (can be from abroad)

OR

can show 400,000 THB in a bank account in Thailand in your name. Money has to be there for at least 2 months

You also have to show a lot of paperwork etc for the extension to check if you are really married and not faking it, but above is the requirement. You can apply during the last 30 days of any permission to stay. So you can apply now or make a border run and apply after 60 days.

Thank you very much!

Earlier you said

So how does this info fit together - this statement somewhat confuses me

So you can apply now or make a border run and apply after 60 days.

If I go now (I've only been here almost 3 months) to apply for the extension of stay would it take effect after the 1st year is over (November 2011) - or should I be doing that, as seems right, near the end of the year?

And if I can and do it 'now'... does that mean I'm on extension & can check in via mail instead of border run?

Sorry for this if it sounds dumb! Almost got it sorted :)

Edited by fractrain

we have 2 issue here.

1. you currently stay on a Multiple Entry Visa , means you can leave Thailand anytime and each time you come back you will get a 90days stay. No nedd to do a 90day "check in".

2. In case you want to change your current visa to a "extension of stay" you will have to go to Immigration and provide various documents. In case you get yearly extension you need to do a 90day "check in".

Means you have to do a borderrun to get another 90days.

You can apply for the 12 month extension within the final 30 days of any permision to stay.

One you have a 12 month extension you report to Immigration every 90 days . You do not have to do a border run.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

It means you have the option to continue doing a run to the border every 90 days and not do any reporting OR get an extension of stay during the last 30 days of any permission to stay and be allowed to stay for 1 year and do 90 day report.

The extension for 1 year would start when your permission to stay ends, so if you do it now it will be valid till Jan. 31 2012, if you do another run to the border and than extend the 1 year extension starts at the end of the next 90 days, so till end of April.

It is for you to decide what is more convenient, going to the border every 90 days or getting an extension of stay and doing 90 day reports.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I had the same question as the OP having just done a 90 day exit to Laos near Ban Meung and hoping to avoid this requirement over the next few years.

To clarify, are you saying that 30 days before the expiry of the initial 1yr multiple-entry spousal visa I can go to Thai Immigration (Chiang Khan for me, Tha Li now closed) and ask for a 1 year "extension" on my original spousal visa? And with this extension, the need to exit every 90 days is substituted with a 90 day report back to Thai Immigration?

Would this also satisfy the 3 years of uninterrupted stay in Thailand for permanent residency?

Thanks,

Mike