Former U.S. Vice President warns Indonesians of global warming

News_Editor

Former U.S. Vice President warns Indonesians of global warming

2011-01-10 11:17:21 GMT+7 (ICT)

JAKARTA, INDONESIA (BNO NEWS) -- Former U.S. Vice President and Nobel laureate Al Gore on Sunday spoke in the Indonesian capital of Jakarta, warning of "unprecedented chaos" if global warming continues at its alarming rate.

Gore, 62, of Washington, D.C., spoke at Jakarta's Shangri-La Hotel during the Asia Pacific Summit for the Climate Project, praising Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono for taking "a stand that no other leader of any developing nation has been willing to take," the Jakarta Globe reported.

"A country that has the unique reputation of Indonesia, when it stands up and takes a leadership role for what is right and moral in the world, it elevates itself and distinguishes itself," Gore said as Yudhoyono has pledged a 26 percent to 41 percent cut in greenhouse gas emissions by 2020.

Speaking in front of 350 participants from 21 countries, including government officials, business leaders and NGOs, called on the audience, officials and society to carry out the pledges already made and to protect the country’s mega-diversity.

"Anything I can do as a friend of Indonesia and as a friend of men and women who are committed to doing the hard, right thing and supporting your president as he faces the difficult path to follow the choice that has been made and announced — I offer my services," he said during the event, which was co-sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund and the Regional Representatives Council.

Gore emphasized that working for environmental causes is a good business and moral decision. He also underlined that Indonesia is currently the world's third most important geothermal electricity producer.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-10