Damaged Passport

Upon return of a weekend jaunt down south, my darling wife has managed to completely obliterate my passport in the washing machine (ok my fault for leaving it in my pants pocket overnight).

Other than the jacket, there is nothing left of it larger than the size of a postal stamp.

I have contacted the AUS embassy and am in the process of applying for a new passport (and a new wife)

My question is about the visa and what happens after getting the new passport.

I entered Thailand on jan 1 on a double entry tourist visa.

Could some kind soul explain the procedure at immigration after getting the new passport.

Do I require a letter from the embassy?

Is the visa transfered to new passport or details of "permitted to stay" stamp only?

Can the new stamp be extended for 30 days as per the 60 day tourist visa?

What fees are involved for said transfer?

Thanks so much.

P

Normally you get a letter form your embassy, which you give to immigration.

With the letter and the new passport you go to immigration to have the stamps transferred. As said, you will not get a new visa. Immigration only gives you your current permission to stay, but you should be able to get the extension.

If your arrival card is also lost that one needs replacement as well. With the old passport number that should not be too difficult.

My reccomondation to anyone reading this and it's what I always do is have your passport scanned even after every visa stamp and then send it to your self via email so if these things happen at least you always have a copy you can show anyone.

Also isn't there something that just came out in the last year or two about legaly having one of these "mini passports' that are laminated to carry around? Maybe someone can elaborate more on this?

My reccomondation to anyone reading this and it's what I always do is have your passport scanned even after every visa stamp and then send it to your self via email so if these things happen at least you always have a copy you can show anyone.

Also isn't there something that just came out in the last year or two about legaly having one of these "mini passports' that are laminated to carry around? Maybe someone can elaborate more on this?

My recommdation is to empty your pockets before you wash your clothes......:rolleyes:

Why do you legally need a mini passport to carry around ?.....carrying your passport, mini or not, is not a legal requirement anyway

I have a copy of passport data page and visa number ... utterly useless if the passport has been damaged to the point where they cannot legally identify you ... (as far as the AUS embassy is concerned)