Alongkorn To Ask US To Remove Thailand From Priority Watch List (PWL)

Alongkorn to ask US to remove Thailand from PWL

BANGKOK, 10 January 2011 (NNT) - Deputy Commerce Minister Alongkorn Ponlaboot will discuss with the US trade representatives about removing Thailand from the Priority Watch List (PWL) after the nation has extensively eradicated pirated products.

After Thailand has been on the US’s PWL for 4 years, Mr Alongkorn will meet with representatives from the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) in February to report the progress of the country’s campaign against pirated products. He believed that the US would move Thailand from the priority list to the regular watch list.

The Deputy Minister said after Thailand is removed from the list, more foreign investors are expected to come to the country.

During the visit, the Thai delegates will as well discuss businesses with the American private sector to promote the Thai creative economy industry. He hoped that the nation would gain benefits from the US Generalized System of Preferences (GSP) program, increasing trade value between the two.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-10 footer_n.gif[/b][/size]

The deputy commerce minister is just doing what he feels is in Thailand's national interest, justified or not. No doubt he will show photos of pirated DCD/CD's and other trademarked goods being destroyed. The problem is I expect such goods destroyed represented less than 1% of the pirated goods sold. Still no shortage of pirated/trademarked goods for sale in stores/shops/little stalls I do some of my shopping in.