Getting Plates And A Green Book For A New Bike

naboo

In October I bought a new Yamaha scooter and was told I'd receive the green book and plates later, they'd call me. I gave them copies of the relevant details of my passport and work permit and they said they'd take care of it. Went back in at the beginning of December to ask about the plates and green book and was given my insurance certificate and told the registration was being done and I'd get a call in the next month or two.

Christmas day I received a new Tiger Boxer. On Saturday I received by registered post some documents. Today I took them to the bike office in Chiang Mai and after 2 hrs had had the bike inspected, bought insurance (over an hour queue - can you buy this insurance anywhere?) and was told the green book, tax and plates would be ready on Wednesday.

Went back to Yamaha - not yet ready, usually takes 3 months.

How come I can get a bike registered in less than 20 days with a holiday in the middle, but Yamaha's taking over 4 times as long? Do people like to drive around with no plates to show off the fact they have a new bike? I want plates asap to reduce the risk of theft!

I read on here somewhere they were going to reduce the amount of time you could drive without plates, i bought a honda m/c and it took an age to get registration sorted, i think the shops just can not be bothered.

Depends on the dealership. Some drag their feet sending in the details to the Dept of Land & Transport whilst others get the whole process dealt with nice and quick.

Bad luck buying off ones of the ones that are of the 'don't give a dam_n' type. Getting on for 4 months is taking the piss as it should never take more than a month for car or bike.

If you have retained copy of your invoice and have the insurance - and your bike looks new - I understand that here in Chiang Mai, you're not going to be bothered by the police. No red plate. Moreover, plates will not protect your bike from theft any more than absent plates, as they can be changed immediately.

But yes, your experience is different from mine. When I've had the proper material going in, I've had my two bikes' plates and green books within three weeks, holidays included, both times with a dealer.

But if it is the dealer south of 3 King Monument, I'm surprised; they've been very on-purpose for me.

Edited by CMX

Moreover, plates will not protect your bike from theft any more than absent plates, as they can be changed immediately.

Its more a case of if it doesn't look new, it won't be so attractive. I've already done the 'not buying Honda' thing to put off the thieves (though that wasn't really a consideration when it came to the choice).

Got it from Yamaha Square, Airport Plaza branch. Not been overly impressed with them to be honest, will be getting the next service from the service centre at the store you mentioned in the centre of town.

Basically the shop you bought it from are bloody lazy or do not pay their bills or do not know how to register a bike to a falang.

(The not paying their bills means they do not get the final paperwork from Yamaha to register the bike)

either way go in and ask to speak to the owner/dealer principle and tell them if you have not got your green book and plates in 7 days. You are going to report them to Yamaha and the LTD.

Basically the shop you bought it from are bloody lazy or do not pay their bills or do not know how to register a bike to a falang.

(The not paying their bills means they do not get the final paperwork from Yamaha to register the bike)

either way go in and ask to speak to the owner/dealer principle and tell them if you have not got your green book and plates in 7 days. You are going to report them to Yamaha and the LTD.

yepp, shop doesnt get needed docs to register before they have payed yammy for bike

go to sho, tell them you want plates within 3 days, if not you go to police. 4 days later go to police, give officer a couple of cigarette packs (Marlboro, not the cheap LM) and let him use your mobile to call shop. usually works

new red plate law, states max 30 days on redplates after purchase/1st insurance. fine up to 10k baht.

bike does not belong to you until book is in your name

It's got to be the individual dealer / shop that has the problem.

I bought my Yamaha Nouvo from Yamaha Square in Bangkok. They sorted the insurance, green book registration (white plate), and sending the bike to me by Thai Post, all within about a week or ten days.

I went down with my Tiger Boxer, invoice, plates and green book and asked why it took me 3 weeks whilst I was waiting for them for over three months. They blabbered about the boss. On Saturday I got a call to say my plates were ready to pick up. So with a bit of a push, they managed to get off their <deleted> and sort it in 3 or 4 days, or perhaps it was already on its way. I'm going with the former.