Bangkok Van Crash Girl Released Without Bail

webfact

"the Supreme Court, said the girl was likely to get a suspended sentence, not because of social privilege, but due to her confession, her remorse, her family's payment of compensation to victims, or mandatory rehabilitation."--> <deleted> happened to the law she violated. Does the supreme court not uphold the law? I guess this is a way to do the crime, show sympathy and then escape jail term..

Did you miss reading the part about her being a minor and the standard of law as to how it is applied to minors????

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Money, Money, Money, I wonder how much Head of the Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection is getting? Normally the Prosecution, The Chief of Police, and the Judge will be paid quite a bit of cash, this has very obviously happened already but I wonder how much I am guessing about 1M each? :huh:

My 16yo son got 3 months in Bang Buang jail for taking one yabba tablet, his punishment for hanging out with the wrong crowd. at that time the phony lawyer wanted me to cough up 20K to give to the police, but at that time i was broke and could not raise the cash. (3 months of sleepless nights) :angry: The moron who forced him to take the drug was released "obviously, as the dealers have plenty of money" The law sucks here.

hold on

An underage driver involved in a tollway crash last month which killed nine van passengers has been released without bail, because she turned herself in to police and had not been arrested

and

The girl has been charged with causing deaths and injuries through carelessness and driving without a licence

how can you be charged with a crime without being arrested first????????

lol, "but still..."

The name is not uncommon in Thailand and as a few posters have mentioned on the board they have had girlfriends and friends with the same last name that were anything but rich or elite. With that said, this family appears well off (not super rich) and it is the Uncle who is with the police.

What is interesting is some poster's views who appear to want to condemn the girl because her family has money and has a respected last name. The sad truth is that the court & juvi dept. would have acted the same if this was a much poorer family given the same set of circumstances and the same responsibility taken by this family after the accident. Obviously a poor family could not provide the compensation this family has given and pledged but that is life anywhere you go. Money in fact buys a lot of people out of trouble. A simple speeding ticket in a western country could end up with jail time for somebody who can't afford the ticket while a rich person won't blink an eye at a few hundred dollars. The same is true for hiring the best attorneys and paying large fines to avoid jail.

Right or wrong the real issue here is that she is a minor and people's lack of understanding that minors are handled different here and in most countries. The idea is to help (rehabilitate) and not punish. If somebody has already learned from their mistake there is not much reason to incarcerate the person be it here or most countries. This was not an act where she intended to put people lives at risk. This was by all logic a 16-year old who never thought anything like this would happen to her. Her status may have given her access to a nice car but she is by no means the only unlicensed driver (or speeder) on the road and I see kids in BKK constantly driving motorcycles that clearly are underage and certainly not from well off families. As the police have mentioned previously this is a 400 baht fine ... they don't treat it too seriously. And the speeding was not a wanton act of disregard for other people's lives because as a 16-year old (and most adult speeders, you don't think these things happen to you).

The point here is not in anyway to condone or excuse her actions but simply to point out that she is not some violent criminal (at least as we know) and as a minor she is being treated according to the law. There is no reason to lock her up at this point as she has a healthy family to care and be responsible for her and this is a MAJOR determination in deciding if a minor will be held before trial (along with their likely hood to be a danger to themselves or others and mental health issues they may have). The law is clear here as it is in most western countries that there would be little reason to hold her without bail (no bail for minors -- either freed or not) before trial.

Again the point here is that NOTHING has been done that would indicate her family connections had anything to do with her being released. If you want to criticize the laws regarding minors I have no problem with that but pretending there has been shown any favoritism or that Thailand is somehow out of step with the rest of the world is biased and goes against reality.

You jump to way too many conclusions based off of speculation. If you are directly involved in this case then disclose it to us so that we can then value your posts. From what I have observed from day one of this incident, you have been quick to point out other poster's speculation and inconsistencies, yet turn a blind eye to your own.

Agree, and nisa's last para is very ny-eve. Those who have been here a while know exactly what can be done BEHIND the scenes that nobody will ever know about. :huh:

ANYBODY with any common sense would have known she was not going to be held if they read the Thai laws regarding the treatment of minors accused of a crime. They were posted her by a mod. Funny thing is they didn't mention anything about wealth or eliteness and simply made clear that Thailand observed the same types of treatment that are internationally accepted when it comes to minors.

"the Supreme Court, said the girl was likely to get a suspended sentence, not because of social privilege, but due to her confession, her remorse, her family's payment of compensation to victims, or mandatory rehabilitation."--> <deleted> happened to the law she violated. Does the supreme court not uphold the law? I guess this is a way to do the crime, show sympathy and then escape jail term..

Did you miss reading the part about her being a minor and the standard of law as to how it is applied to minors????

she's 18 not 16!!!!!!! No longer a minor..

Money, Money, Money, I wonder how much Head of the Department of Juvenile Observation and Protection is getting? Normally the Prosecution, The Chief of Police, and the Judge will be paid quite a bit of cash, this has very obviously happened already but I wonder how much I am guessing about 1M each? :huh:

My 16yo son got 3 months in Bang Buang jail for taking one yabba tablet, his punishment for hanging out with the wrong crowd. at that time the phony lawyer wanted me to cough up 20K to give to the police, but at that time i was broke and could not raise the cash. (3 months of sleepless nights) :angry: The moron who forced him to take the drug was released "obviously, as the dealers have plenty of money" The law sucks here.

We all know drug laws are very severe in Thailand and sorry to hear about your son. However a first offense for use is usually not serious consequences if the criminal confesses. I have known a number of teens (adults & minors) that were kids of friends and none did jail time for a first offense. The minors were released to the parents and the one adult as I recalled had to pay 10k or 20k bail and was released. I believe they had to take urine tests for a while but none were sentenced to jail for a first offense and none of these people came from money. None of them had lawyers either.

In fact, Thailand is usually pretty lenient on most criminals for a first offense if they admit their crime and cooperate. Suspended sentences are the norm in such situations. And this is adults I am talking about. I knew a working girl who used a Thai counterfeit passport to try to go to England and was caught while stopping in China. She was sent back here and never was placed in handcuffs and never spend a day in jail even though she was charged with a number of offenses. She ended up with 1-year probation and I believe a 3 year sentence reduced to 1-year (for admitting guilt) and then suspended because she had no previous legal problems. No bail and no lawyer.

Edited by Nisa

I am thinking it might be best to ignore any future posts from you regarding your "imagined" facts about the case.

No she isnt.. Shes 17 this coming june !!

ANYBODY with any common sense would have known she was not going to be held if they read the Thai laws regarding the treatment of minors accused of a crime. They were posted her by a mod. Funny thing is they didn't mention anything about wealth or eliteness and simply made clear that Thailand observed the same types of treatment that are internationally accepted when it comes to minors.

And you are being deliberately disingenuous if you fail to realise that her relative wealth and social position will help to get her the most lenient treatment possible - leniency that may well not be given to those not enjoying her privileges.

The case as quoted by Newermonkey is far from rare - my 15 year-old stepson did 6 months for stealing a motorcycle. Are our families not loving and caring enough to provide a safe home? At very least, neither child left a trail of corpses and grieving families.

How about the lynching brigade take a deep breath?

Yes, she made a serious error and is most likely responsible for the deaths and injury of several people. However, there may be several mitigating factors to consider. Some of them are the van driver's conduct, the absence of seatbelts in the van etc. This doesn't excuse the girl, but it is a long way from a premediated violent offense where the intent is to cause serious bodily injury and to rob someone. The girl may be guilty of stupidity, selfishness and a lack of common sense, but that is the world of adolescents.

Why are people sent to jail? Is it deterrence? Punishment? Protection of society from a violent offender? Study after study shows that jail time for youthful non violent offenders achieves little except causes more damage. If the goal is to rehabilitate this person and to make her understand the errors and the wrong that she did, then a lengthy jail sentence serves no purpose if she is guilty of the charges,

Yes, the jail sentence may act as a deterrent, but the length of time will be up to the judge and the child services department to decide. An ideal sentence would be for this girl to perform community service, which is what she may undertake on her own long before sentencing.

There is a reason why juveniles in cases like this are treated differently than adults. Although it is easy to say she should have known right from wrong, many juvenile offenders just can't process that abstract concept when it comes to driving. I'm just as outraged and disgusted as everyone else, but sometimes one has to take a step back and consider the event.

Although there is a great deal of finger pointing at the family, don't lose sight of the fact that the family has been publicly humiliated and its name dragged into the mud. Don't think for a moment that the parents didn't tear a strip off the girl once they had some time with her and don't think that the mother isn't furious and ashamed. The girl has caused the family great harm and she will pay a tremendous price for it. She will be ostracized at school and socially for a long time. She will be known as he madwoman driver for years to come. That type of label can literally destroy a young girl. Is that really what some of you want? Do you want justice or do you want revenge? When a dog is left alone all day and pees on the floor, does beating the poor animal achieve anything except allow the beater some cathartic release? Was it the dog's fault that it was locked up all day? The same line of logic applies to this girl. Why was she driving that car? That's where the focus of anger should be. Ask the parents why they allowed it, or were aware of it. The ghosts of the dead are going to haunt that family for a long long time.

THe voice of reason! Horray!

Sadly, by definition your comments will be ignored on this thread

Edited by Deeral

Why wasn't this criminal arrested at the scene, when it was established that she was driving illegally because she was under-age and had no licence?

Of course she will do no jail time, because of her families influence.

Justice for all? Not a chance in this corrupt Country. Money is God here. bah.gif

They're not in the U.S.

That's the only corrupt country that supposedly guarantees justice for all, that I know of anyway.

You should go down to the courthouse and tell them all how stupid and corrupt they are.

Oh, yeah, and how great your own country is that you would rather be here.

I'm not from the US, and anyway why would that have any bearing on what I wrote? Many Countries in SE Asia are just as corrupt, it's just that Thailand recently hosted an anti-corruption conference - and people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I live here for many different reasons, the Justice system NOT being one of them.

In Thailand you are considered a minor until you are 20

And you are being deliberately disingenuous if you fail to realise that her relative wealth and social position will help to get her the most lenient treatment possible - leniency that may well not be given to those not enjoying her privileges.

The case as quoted by Newermonkey is far from rare - my 15 year-old stepson did 6 months for stealing a motorcycle. Are our families not loving and caring enough to provide a safe home? At very least, neither child left a trail of corpses and grieving families.

I believe it states a number of reasons why a minor will or not be held in the original post and in previous news articles. I have no idea what circumstances played to get your stepson no released but clearly this girl met all the criteria for not being held and the laws regarding minors are to not incarcerate and punish but to educate. Confession, remorse, taking responsibility, compensation, safety, psycological problems, likely hood to continue criminal behavior if released are likely all considerations. Some of these considerations are probably derived from the intentions of the minor suspect too. In once case we had a girl whose actions clearly caused much more damage but whose actions were not meant to hurt anybody while on the other hand we have a boy who clearly set out knowing there would be a victim to his actions. Not sure these thoughts came into play but I would wager this girl (who likely has driven a number of times unlicensed) doesn't driver again before her hearing given the consequences/outcome she has already faced while a boy who steals a motorcycle is more likely to re-offend if not held for any time.

It is sickening to see people arguing about the girls' family wealth and connections.

It is sickening to see thai juvenile crime justice using the excuses,- her age, her confessions, her remorse.

Her age and lack of licence are the reason or a contributing factor to the tragedy.

Her confession was automatic and unavoidable, - the girl was at the wheel.

Her remorse may or may not be genuine, BUT 9 PEOPLE ARE DEAD!!!

Whatever her family paid in compensation, LIFE IS CHEAP IN the Land of Jokes.

It is unthinkable for anyone in the West to buy their way out of this mess.:jap: :unsure::bah:

Actually it is 18. You can drink at 20. She was 16 1/2.

**Edit: I actually just saw on Wikipedia that it says 20 but I could swear when I read the laws regarding dealing with minors it is 18.

Edited by Nisa

Why wasn't this criminal arrested at the scene, when it was established that she was driving illegally because she was under-age and had no licence?

Justice for all? Not a chance in this corrupt Country. Money is God here. bah.gif

They're not in the U.S.

That's the only corrupt country that supposedly guarantees justice for all, that I know of anyway.

You should go down to the courthouse and tell them all how stupid and corrupt they are.

Oh, yeah, and how great your own country is that you would rather be here.

Corruption is all over the world I guess. In the West it is in the upper parts of society and done discretely whereas in Thailand corruption is more blantantly and open

As stated previously I would be surprised if she does a single day in jail, whilst the factors that the judge has mentioned are mitigating they are not that mitigating.

After 10 years living in Thailand, I have never seen anyone punished for anything.

Ok, so let's look at your specific case, and give an honest answer.

In respect to this adolescent male;

1. What has been his past behaviour, i.e. good student, any truancy, past offenses?

2. What's the home environment like? Is the parent(capable) of managing/controling the boy? Are the parents able to prevent a reoffense? Is the homelife stable?

3. What services are available to the boy to encourage a change in behaviour? Is there a parent available to watch over the fellow?

4. Did the boy express remorse? Did he apologize to the victims? Did he pay restitution? What was the parent(s) attitude?

5. What was the boy's attitude in court? Was he a smart ass?

6. Would a stint in a juvenile detention center have a positive impact on the boy in terms of learning some respect for others?

In respect to the girl, let's look at some of the answers to the above questions;

1. It will most likely be shown that the girl has a spotless record.

2. Most likely an excellent stable home environment with parents that will keep that girl in line, with a mother that packs a mean backhand.

3. The girl will most likely be sent to specialized counseling and have access to therapy if need be.

4. The girls expressed remorse as best that an adolescent kid can do. The mother went the extra distance and was genuinely distraught and begged for forgiveness.

Rrestitution will be paid.

5. The girl hasb't been in court, but I'm willing to bet that she will grovel, cry and be terrified.

6. Highly unlikely a period in detention would achieve anything better than the shredding she's getting at the hands of her parents.

Another fact to keep in mind is that the theft by the boy was a thought out act and the direct consequence was known: A vehicle would be stolen.

The girl most likely was incapable of appreciating her actions. Do adolescents really think through the consequences of speeding. I know I didn't. Did you at that age?

And now a characteristic of young boys and girls that will provoke anger from some; There is a significant difference between male and adolescent non violent offenders. Most girls if they are caught early enough can be corrected easier than boys. Some boys have skulls as thick as a brick and no amount of threats or reasoning works.

I hope Super Mario the mod shows up with his background in social services and offers his work experiences. There are some other TVFers with experience in social work. If I have it wrong, then I'll be corrected, but that's how I see it. It boils down to a fact of life that boys and girls are quite different.

Truely Amazing Thailand...

^^ Yes, as they're simply contextual and pick up on keywords automatically... nothing to read too much into there.

Wicha Mahakhun, a former senior judge in juvenile cases in the Supreme Court, said the girl was likely to get a suspended sentence, not because of social privilege, but due to her confession, her remorse

What remorse? Nothing changes, with the focus being firmly on the perp and not the victim. The parents should at least be banged up no matter what compensation has been paid. Muang Thai is not moving forward is it.

In most western countries a drivers licenses is a privilege not a right and a motor vehicle is a machine to kill just like a gun. I guess in Muang Thai it is a very easy way to get rid of someone for a couple thousand Baht fine.

As stated previously I would be surprised if she does a single day in jail, whilst the factors that the judge has mentioned are mitigating they are not that mitigating.

After 10 years living in Thailand, I have never seen anyone punished for anything.

I have. The jails are filled with offenders, aren't they?

Ok, so let's look at your specific case, and give an honest answer.

In respect to this adolescent male;

1. What has been his past behaviour, i.e. good student, any truancy, past offenses?

2. What's the home environment like? Is the parent(capable) of managing/controling the boy? Are the parents able to prevent a reoffense? Is the homelife stable?

3. What services are available to the boy to encourage a change in behaviour? Is there a parent available to watch over the fellow?

4. Did the boy express remorse? Did he apologize to the victims? Did he pay restitution? What was the parent(s) attitude?

5. What was the boy's attitude in court? Was he a smart ass?

6. Would a stint in a juvenile detention center have a positive impact on the boy in terms of learning some respect for others?

In respect to the girl, let's look at some of the answers to the above questions;

1. It will most likely be shown that the girl has a spotless record.

2. Most likely an excellent stable home environment with parents that will keep that girl in line, with a mother that packs a mean backhand.

3. The girl will most likely be sent to specialized counseling and have access to therapy if need be.

4. The girls expressed remorse as best that an adolescent kid can do. The mother went the extra distance and was genuinely distraught and begged for forgiveness.

Rrestitution will be paid.

5. The girl hasb't been in court, but I'm willing to bet that she will grovel, cry and be terrified.

6. Highly unlikely a period in detention would achieve anything better than the shredding she's getting at the hands of her parents.

Another fact to keep in mind is that the theft by the boy was a thought out act and the direct consequence was known: A vehicle would be stolen.

The girl most likely was incapable of appreciating her actions. Do adolescents really think through the consequences of speeding. I know I didn't. Did you at that age?

And now a characteristic of young boys and girls that will provoke anger from some; There is a significant difference between male and adolescent non violent offenders. Most girls if they are caught early enough can be corrected easier than boys. Some boys have skulls as thick as a brick and no amount of threats or reasoning works.

I hope Super Mario the mod shows up with his background in social services and offers his work experiences. There are some other TVFers with experience in social work. If I have it wrong, then I'll be corrected, but that's how I see it. It boils down to a fact of life that boys and girls are quite different.

So driving a car ay 16 is legal?

She was incapable of appreciating her actions????

In that case maybe detention for the criminally insane is the most appropriate place...

Anyone who do not recognize that Thailand is a country where power and prestige plays a major part in all aspects of society is naive.

Majority in Thailand is 21 y-o.

Thai civil and commercial Code:

"Section 19. A person, on the completion of twenty years of age ceases to be a minor and become sui juris."

So, a child is a child until 21. But a child has some powers, depending of his or her age. Example, a Thai child can make a will at 16 years old (after completetion of 15 y-o) (section 25) A minor ceases to be a child if he marries...(section 20) but they can only married after completion of 17 y-o (so, 18 y-o) (section 1448).

Do adolescents really think through the consequences of speeding. I know I didn't. Did you at that age?

How about adults? I doubt any adult considers that their speeding may result in death when the do it. At most they are thinking about getting a ticket and in Thailand you don't have to think too much about that on the tollways. Lets face it, it is a rare adolescent that doesn't believe that all these bad things happen to other people and not them. Many if not most teens having a feeling of invincibility that starts to fade around 18 as the brain goes through changes into adulthood.

When people can be locked up for years for giving their opinions but those who kill people either by murder or in an accident of this nature don't do time, the raison d'etre of the 'criminal or justice' system needs to be brought into question, this country will only continue to make snail like progress as long as this disparity continues.

Totally agree. Wealth should have no bearing on justice for the families who suffered losses. It is a gross injustice. Monetary compensation will never bring back those who lost their lives through this young girls selfish arrogant act. And having her roaming around just adds insult and contempt to the process.

The justice system is so harsh on some people. There was a TV series called 'Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand" where an English girl was serving 18 months prison for shop lifting a bottle of shampoo from Boots the Chemist. She wasn't wealthy so I guess couldn't be extorted for money. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. She could hardly stop crying, her teeth had falling out from malnutrition. She had been assaulted by other Thai prisoners for not bowing her head when she walk past them and again for stepping over their cup.

Then you see a horrible crime like this committed by a member of the elite here and they make bail.

What sort of message does it give? That this country is really run by sick evil people.

The Thai's are up in arms about his. She will certainly need a lot of protection but her family are apparently big Police.

Although nothing will become of it.

Just like the Duangchalerm Yoobamrung case. The Thai politician's son who shot and killed a Police Officer in a busy night club. Fined a 1000 baht

I think most people here had that gut feeling that she would skate away into the sunset without any real punishment.

Seems like one of the worse things in Thailand is to be injured or killed by someone with higher status or better connections than you.

What a country.

TheWalkingMan

She'll probably fly back to the US and the news will blow over, just like it always does. Has anyone heard any progress of the Santika Fire 2 years ago now?

So if I kill some one,then give my self up to the police,say I am sorry then I will not have to go to jail. It's like monopely "do not go to jail do not collect £200 ", or has she got a" get out of jail free card"???

She's a juvenile - her 'get out of jail' card (apparently a large piece of the card, anyway, among other pieces).

Are you one? If not, I wouldn't try killing anyone and getting preferential treatment if I were you (even if you're a farang with ready cash).

By the way, if you think things are different in, let's say, the United States -- think again.

My only child was killed in a one car accident as a passenger. The driver was 20 years old. The driver failed to navigate an S turn at the end of a long straightaway and the car went off to road killing my child. The driver walked away uninjured.

The information I received from various sources was that the driver was involved in a street race and had entered the corner at a high rate of speed (in excess of 100 mph). Interestingly enough, when the police arrived, no one would admit to a street race. A blood alcohol test was performed on the driver that came back negative and the driver was released. No arrest.

I forensics team checked out the scene and in the final police report it was determined that the driver entered the corner at over 60 mph when the posted speed limit was 30 mph. I find this interesting because I drove that same corner in excess of 70 mph without difficulty a few days later -- which leads me to believe the racing scenario was probably true and the forensic report was flawed or deliberately understated. The report concluded that the accident was caused by the drivers age and relative inexperience as a driver and he was charged with simple negligent driving. The reporting officer seemed to have a very sympathetic bias toward the driver. The death of my child was inconsequential. We were able to see a copy of the driver's driving record which included a number of speeding offenses and moving violations. We contacted the Justice Department and were told that the prior violations would have no bearing on this case and the driver would only be charged based on the police report. The driver walked away with a $400 fine (roughly 12000 baht at the time). We file a civil suit against the driver. The family hired a lawyer. The lawyer simply came back with a statement that the driver, at 20 years old, was no longer a dependent of the family, therefore the family could not be financially held responsible for the crash. Then the driver declared bankruptcy to avoid any financial consequence for his action. The driver nor the family ever expressed any remorse whatsoever for my child's death..

And there you have it -- justice in the United States. How do you say it in Thailand -- Same Same but Different.

Edited by connda