Tony At Coffee Pot

madmitch

I heard this morning that Tony, the Aussie guy who owned the Coffee Pot in Kata, passed away on Sunday. I believe he was 59 or 60 and had been ill for a few weeks, but this was not expected.

Apparently his body is going to be repatriated but I haven't personally spoken to anyone close to Tony as yet so it's only secondhand information.

Although he was a miserable, negative sod much of the time, and he won't mind me saying that, I enjoyed talking with him over a beer or two and he'll be missed, as will his steaks which were among the best in the area.

He always put on a good nosh though despite his looks & dememanour but have not seen him since he was about opposite Blue Fin. Maybe the fags got him in the end. R.I.P.

About a year or so ago he moved onto the main Patak Road just between traffic lights and PTT gas station. I noticed that the shutter were closed these past few days. I wondered if something had happened to him. Now I know.

RIP Tony, you will be missed for the good grub and interesting personality.

RIP.. Tony.. He was the original GRUMPY OLD MAN of kata... and one of the first to do good ausie steaks and sunday dinners here..Ralph from the Sanook bar in karon..a good freind of his.will have some recent info on what is happening...

They seem to be dropping like flies in that area.

Nigel from Anchor Inn.

The bloke from the European Bar.

The bloke from Grand Prix Bar.

Eugene from the restaurant opposite Blue-Fin.

Anyway, may all of them RIP.

KB, thanks for the clarification.

My mind's eye had Nigel from Anchor as Tony. Didn't know about the guy from Grand Prix, talked to him a couple of high season's ago.

Ditto on RIP to all

RIP just heard the about Tony. I knew him for 18 years since he had a bar on soi sansabai , anyway bon voyage old friend .

He was married to my sister inlaw for the last few years so if there is something i can do please pm me i am in aussie at this time

TONYS FUNERAL....Tomorow monday.. Jan17 at 1 pm....

at..Wat Tha Rua TEMPLE....Is opposite Yee Teng Big house..its on the main rd to airport..before Heroins Monument on te slight curve of the road..

iF ANY ONE WANTS TO PAY THERE LAST RESPECTS TO TONY SEE YOU THERE..

at..Wat Tha Rua TEMPLE....Is opposite Yee Teng Big house..its on the main rd to airport..before Heroins Monument on te slight curve of the road..

Thanks for the info Barka.

I'd heard that the family had made the decision not to repatriate the body.

I'll speak to Ralph at Sanook later who I know has been liaising with family both in Thailand and Australia and I'll be there tomorrow.

Very sad, its been a week and i still cant believe it.

Thanks to all for their kind thoughts.

Tonys ashes will be sent back to Aus so his family and friends can say their fare well.

The Family have done it this way so his wife and friends in Thailand can pay their respect.

Please make it a special day and have a drink for Tony and everyone who couldnt make it to Thailand......Miss you Dad RIP.

Tony passed on the day I left without my knowing and my wife told me the next morning after I landed in Amsterdam. I would have canceled my flight if I knew to attend the service.

My wife will be there. We tried to call, asked around, but we should have just walked around back... Sorry mate!

I wish knun Lee, his children, family and friends strength. A good man will not be forgotten.

Ernst.

Edited by ErnstStt

• 2 months later...

I only recently heard about Tony passing away. He was one of the most uncomplicated people, I had the pleasure to befriend & share quality time with, during my almost 8 year stay on Phuket.

Respect old friend, we had some laughs together ..... RIP & ride free.

Lynden

Edited by iyfylynden