Question For Americans Living In Thailand

jay1970

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too bad you can't just ask the American! In my case, I would want a suitcase full of matzohs, for someone else it might be Fusion razor blades. For Thai based wine lovers, they would appreciate some good wine as it is so costly in Thailand. But it's cheaper in Laos. It's an interesting question because I really can't think of some generic thing that most Americans would miss (we're so diverse), as it's so personal.

Edited by Jingthing

20lbs of Taco Bell, freeze it and pack it in dry ice.

Assuming that the giftees drink wine, wine is the correct choice. Other good choices: tahini, peanut butter, horseraddish, balsamic vinegar, canned garbanzo beans (assuming that they like hummus), southwestern US chilli powder, hot sauce -- these are many of the things that I wish someone would bring me (other than a new Vette, which is beyond your stated budget (and tough to get into a suitcase)). Bed sheets would also be appreciated. Can you bring a few things for me? :whistling:

Assuming that the giftees drink wine, wine is the correct choice. Other good choices: tahini, peanut butter, horseraddish, balsamic vinegar, canned garbanzo beans (assuming that they like hummus), southwestern US chilli powder, hot sauce -- these are many of the things that I wish someone would bring me (other than a new Vette, which is beyond your stated budget (and tough to get into a suitcase)). Bed sheets would also be appreciated. Can you bring a few things for me? :whistling:

sweet relish

Wow...that's a tough one. You have some good suggestions already. I just came back with 3 suitcases full of stuff. Sure, some of it can be bought here, but it is much more money (wine, single malt scotch, computer stuff). But some is pretty much impossible to find. Like decent floating chairs for the pool. Have to have one with a holder for my beer! Some jigsaw puzzles (bought for 50 cents second hand). Wifi router (can be bought here, but not in Pattaya). Good tennis racquets, plus shoes. Etc.

My recommendation is a good bottle of California wine. One big problem here is the wine is not always kept cold. And in this heat, it only takes one day to kill it.

you just had to do it, didn't you. i've survived 5 years without taco bell and you just had to bring it up.

for the record, since taco bell is neither available nor practical for shipping/transport, the one item i always ask for is razor blades. i always get 6-12 months worth brought to me with every visit.

I cannot imagine ever having a craving for Taco Bell. When at our home I pass by a Taco Bell daily, We stopped there once in the past thirty years and did try to eat our purchases, but alas bad food does not go down well

I'll be purchasing next week in preparation for our belated move my very own electric tortilla maker to bring in June. My adorable Thai wife makes the best fajitas going right down to the proper pico de gallo , Her caldo de pollo es magnifico her ranchero de pollo es bueno. My latino cooking is Colombian in flavor arepas empanadas pan de yuca arroz con pollo. So if we don't eat good at home my friends have latino restaurants all over the city

I'd bring them good (not pricey)chocolate maybe Russell Stover caramels, not cream filled foo foo crap, good cheese an extra sharp cheddar crumbly with the occasional gritty crunch when you bite into it, if their southern bring them some grits, some nutella, almonds or pecans or walnuts. stuff you take for granted in the US can be nice to get there.

Liquorice, jelly beans, and beef jerky.:licklips:

I am usually in the States at least two or three times a year on business and the shopping list I get from my wife normally takes up 80% and the liquorice and jelly beans take up the rest of my luggage.

On occasions she will come with, but only if it's a warm State and lately I have been in Louisville, Kentucky in December and Eden Prairie, Minnesota in November, so I have had to do the donkey work myself.

Decent extension cords.. You can get relish, jelly beans and licorice at Villa.

Villa have liquorice and jelly beans and I have tried them both and in my opinion they are not as good as the ones you can get in the States.

Getting back to the OP if the friend is a real special friend then get him a bottle of Patron Tequila (Anejo)

:partytime2:

I cannot imagine ever having a craving for Taco Bell. When at our home I pass by a Taco Bell daily, We stopped there once in the past thirty years and did try to eat our purchases, but alas bad food does not go down well

I'll be purchasing next week in preparation for our belated move my very own electric tortilla maker to bring in June. My adorable Thai wife makes the best fajitas going right down to the proper pico de gallo , Her caldo de pollo es magnifico her ranchero de pollo es bueno. My latino cooking is Colombian in flavor arepas empanadas pan de yuca arroz con pollo. So if we don't eat good at home my friends have latino restaurants all over the city

I'd bring them good (not pricey)chocolate maybe Russell Stover caramels, not cream filled foo foo crap, good cheese an extra sharp cheddar crumbly with the occasional gritty crunch when you bite into it, if their southern bring them some grits, some nutella, almonds or pecans or walnuts. stuff you take for granted in the US can be nice to get there.

i guess 2 billion people per year are wrong then. confusing taco bell with mexican food, latino food, tex mex or any other kind of cuisine is the first mistake. it's munchie food.

educational toys from the states are another great option if they have any kids (can be passed on to friends children as gifts as well), most every educational "toy" i've seen over here is complete crap. made in china, engrish, maybe used twice before breaking etc. flash cards, language games etc.

Licorice and good-quality jelly beans.

The German licorice sold in Foodland is good and brand name jelly beans are available at some Malls (although not to my taste). Good & Plenty 5 pound bags would get my vote as have never seen it for sale here.

A quality bottle of tequila ( a bit out of OP's price range but would make a great gift ) which can't be found out here. Beef Jerky, some books which can't be found in Lao, real tortillas ( not the kind you can buy here) etc. etc.

Well, in Pattaya, you can indeed buy excellent tequila now and it isn't all that more expensive than in the US.

A quality bottle of tequila ( a bit out of OP's price range but would make a great gift ) which can't be found out here. Beef Jerky, some books which can't be found in Lao, real tortillas ( not the kind you can buy here) etc. etc.

Well, in Pattaya, you can indeed buy excellent tequila now and it isn't all that more expensive than in the US.

I thought OP is in the US and his friend is in Lao :). Good blue agave that's over $100 bottle in the US is in Pattaya?

I thought OP is in the US and his friend is in Lao :). Good blue agave that's over $100 bottle in the US is in Pattaya?

You're right, good stuff wouldn't be easy to find outside large urban expat areas. Give me the brand and type of tequila you are talking about and I can easily find you a typical price in the US on the net. I have casually looked at the prices at Pattaya and found them similar to US prices. More (less than double priced) but not radically so, like wine. I am used to wine in Thailand being triple priced or more compared to the US. You do realize good aged pure tequila is expensive everywhere? Edited by Jingthing