European Parliament pledges solidarity with Brazilians affected by floods

News_Editor

European Parliament pledges solidarity with Brazilians affected by floods

2011-01-14 08:10:10 GMT+7 (ICT)

BRUSSELS (BNO NEWS) -- European Parliament President Jerzy Buzek on Thursday pledged solidarity with the Brazilian people who have been affected by the catastrophic floods.

Buzek offered his sincere condolences to the families of the victims of the tragic natural disaster in south-east Brazil. Flooding and mudslides there have caused the deaths of more than 400 people in the southeastern mountainous region.

"On behalf of the European Parliament, I wish to offer the families and friends of the victims of the natural disaster that has struck Brazil my sincere condolences, and assure those affected by the floods of the solidarity of the European Union," the Parliament leader said.

Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo have been the two states worst affected by the disaster. Most of the victims have been reported to be in the mountain towns of Nova Friburgo, Teresopolis and Petropolis in Rio.

"I would like to express my support and admiration for the Brazilian rescue workers that are courageously working at great personal peril with machines, shovels and even their bare hands," Buzek said.

The European Parliament leader remarked that the situation in Brazil is just another example of the extreme weather conditions which are producing unbearable suffering and destruction.

Buzek also referred to the severe flooding that has hit the Queensland area of Australia, killing at least 15 people and leaving scores more missing and feared dead. He said that no part of our planet has been spared from the harsh weather that has affected from Europe to South Asia.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-14