Denver Broncos hire John Fox as head coach

News_Editor

Denver Broncos hire John Fox as head coach

2011-01-14 10:44:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

ENGLEWOOD, COLORADO (BNO NEWS) -- The Denver Broncos on Thursday announced that John Fox has agreed to terms to become the 14th head coach in its history.

With an eye on bouncing back after a 4-12 season in 2010, the Broncos have turned to Fox who has a track record of doing exactly that. "I am very thankful to (Owner and CEO) Pat Bowlen and (Executive Vice President of Football Operations) John Elway for giving me the opportunity to coach a football team with such a proud tradition," Fox said. "The Broncos have a culture of winning, and I am excited to continue that legacy."

Fox, who said he can't wait to get to work, will take over from interim head coach Eric Studesville who replaced Josh McDaniels last year.

Fox is widely credited as the man who took over a 1-15 Carolina Panthers club in 2002 and two years later led the team to the Super Bowl. The Denver Broncos are hoping to achieve just that.

"It was very similar, a second (overall) pick, much the same situation," Fox told reporters at Denver International Airport before heading to Dove Valley for his initial interview. "I think I have a blueprint that we executed in Carolina, and I don't see any reason why it can't work here in Denver."

Fox's first year in Carolina resulted in a six-win improvement, and the team's run to Super Bowl XXXVIII the following season put the head coach in select company -- he joined Vince Lombardi and Bill Parcells as the only coaches in NFL history to inherit a one-win team and lead it to the playoffs two years later.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-14