Thailand Sees 20 Per Cent Increase In Arab Visitors For 2010

george

Thailand sees 20 per cent increase in Arab visitors for 2010

DUBAI, Jan 13 (Bernama) -- The number of visitors from the Middle East to Thailand last year was projected to have increased by 20 per cent, as compared to 371,368 visitors the previous year, said the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

It said for the first nine months of last year, the total number of visitors from the Middle East stood at 392,294, and had already surpassed the 2009 yearly total.

The final quarter statistics were being confirmed, the tourism promotion agency said in a statement Wednesday.

TAT Middle East director Pramoth Supyen reckoned that 2010 had been a challenging year for all destinations due to various global and international events, and that Thailand was no exception.

Nevertheless, the tourism official noted, Thailand continued to grow strongly as a favoured destination of choice, thanks to the role played by travel trade partners and the continuing popularity of the country among Middle Easterners. (BERNAMA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-01-14

That doesnt surprise me , you can find them all between soi nana and ....soi nana ... staying there for sleep and for food ..... also because Bumrungrad is near by. I dont think those arabs spend a lot of money in going sightseeing or travel around Thailand . Mostly are here for medical tourism. :whistling:

Lower Sukhumvit will be an Arab sook and off-limits for Christians in our lifetime!

Fair enough I say; there are plenty of places in the tourist market that Western Europeans have colonised for decades.

They ought to say Middle Easterners rather than Arabs because I assume they are including Iranians in the figures.

Political correctness can go too far. When you say 'Middle Easterners' I might wonder which part of the USA you refer to.

Keep in mind for those not in the group all others look alike. Farang, Chinese, Arabs, 'khon dam', etc. ;)

Edited by rubl

That doesnt surprise me , you can find them all between soi nana and ....soi nana ... staying there for sleep and for food ..... also because Bumrungrad is near by. I dont think those arabs spend a lot of money in going sightseeing or travel around Thailand . Mostly are here for medical tourism. :whistling:

Well, it's not like they have to come here because the Middle East is too cold. Medical can be quite a bit of money though

They ought to say Middle Easterners rather than Arabs because I assume they are including Iranians in the figures.

Political correctness can go too far. When you say 'Middle Easterners' I might wonder which part of the USA you refer to.

Keep in mind for those not in the group all others look alike. Farang, Chinese, Arabs, 'khon dam', etc. ;)

Iran was known as Persia until 1935. Many people from Iran and those of Iranian descent still refer to themselves as Persian. The Arab people are the citizens of the 22 nations in the Arab League, which does not include Iran.

Persians are not Arabs, any more than Koreans are Japanese.

I would think a lot of this would be medical tourism. Just look in any of the major hospitals along Rama IX and even Sukhumvit - there are a lot of MIddle eastern clients now and even the signage is in Arabic and Farsi.

And let's not forget the thousands of Arabs who stay in and around Arab Street in Pattaya for medical treatment so they can be close to...what's the name of that hospital in South Pattaya? You know, close to where all the signs are in Arabic and Farsi...where all the Middle Eastern restaurants are located? So many Arabs that there must be a hospital in there somewhere. Why else why they come to Pattaya?

This isn't about political correctness.

Don't act like a Issaan Thai and act more like an educated Westerner.

Iranians are not Arabs. They racially resemble and display much more of the caucasian traits. They also tend to dress more Western, don't go around wearing turbins, and giant "dresses".

I agree. Iran is a large very important, mostly NON-ARABIC country. Their people deserve the respect to be recognized as the Persians that they are.

One words if they are also including Israeli Jews with the Arab numbers ...

Edited by Jingthing

Some will say that certain groups are "investing" in agriculture in the provinces, by way of finding wives (or by other methods) aquiring land for farming in the future. I presume this is due to a belief that food shortage will be a troublesome factor in their countries in the future. I guess the grand idea would be to export food to their own countries in the future.

No idea if its true, maybe other posters have hear/read such things?

I like both Arabic and Iranian food, and I don't mind seeing bearded men in flowing gowns either, so it's all a plus plus for moi.

I just wonder how many visit the most southern provinces of Thailand. I bet not to many. :D

I have noticed an unusally high number of Middle Eastern people in Phuket over the last year, although I haven't seen the same change on Samui. Actually, on Samui, most of the Middle Eastern people I have met are Londoners, apart from the same Tel Aviv Isaeli crowd that's been around since the mid-90s.

Iranians are not Arabs. Don't forget it. They are a world apart.

This would explain TATs numbers - and this is from last year.

Western nations numbers plummet.

Arab numbers sky rocket.

Arabs now make up 20% of arrivals. Add the Iranians, Indians, Chinese, Balkans and Russians and you have the new face of Thai tourism. I guess you take what you can get no?

The irony is for all these years we have been told how the Backpacker and the old scruffy retiree was the bane of Thai tourism and how Thailand wants (only) "upscale" tourists.

So look what they have now, poor Arabs/Indians on a cheap holiday. Bunch of Iranian kids looking for some ass.

Som nam na

Whoever stated that I have long been prediciting Thailand's demise (but it never comes). It's been in your face for years...

Edited by bangkokburning
  • Like 1

Yes, at Bumrungrad most of the patients are arabic. From what I have observed the elderly men and women patients are accompanied by younger males. It is my opinion that Thailand is chosen by the younger males for medical reasons for their elders because of the 'facilities' Thailand has to offer to younger (and older males). In India, for example, which is much closer, excellent hospitals advertise and cater for international clientèle. They do not offer,however, the easy, hassle free entertainment Thailand has to offer.

Arabs now make up 20% of arrivals. Add the Iranians, Indians, Chinese, Balkans and Russians and you have the new face of Thai tourism. I guess you take what you can get no?

A 20% increase does not make 20% of arrivals. I'm sure you'll continue predicting the country's 'demise' though

Not all are visiting for medical tourism as talked to a fair few this year in Bangkok and many come to escape the severe hot weather in UAE and other parts of Arabia during summer..A lot of wealthy middle class Egyptians do the medical tourism also as spend a lot of time round Bumungrad and bump into a fair few!Have to say never really had any problems with them,just think we as westerners have to respect other peoples cultures also.Know others will be quick to jump down my throat on this but that's how I see it!