• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only real place to get them (pasteis de nata) is here:

Fábrica dos Pastéis de Belém

The long queue during weekends is explained by the over 10,000 Pastéis de Nata being made every day by this epic "factory". Today this is also a place where you may sit and enjoy a coffee with your Pastel de Nata (custard tart). The secret of the recipe of these tarts is held by the cooks of this factory for over 150 years. Definitely a place you cannot miss in Lisbon if you are treating yourself to the best tastes this city has to offer.

Where

Rua de Belém, 84-92

Telephone

+351 213 637 423

Too bad so much off topic crap is posted here :realangry:

Edited by tartempion

Best seller at McDonald's China friedchickenfeet.jpg

The hands of some Lord of the Rings mutation creatures by the looks.

I saw a documentry on the prep that goes into those & thought I would puke if forced to eat one. Firstly, the guy that de-claws them actually uses his mouth to remove the finger nail (or whatever you call it) & then the things are soaked in some bleachy substance to clean them to a white colour. :sick:

But the tart's the pastry isn't it? To me real egg custard was always served in a bowl same as rice pudding.

Correct ! :)

" tart - a pastry cup with a filling of fruit or custard and no top crust "

You must to be one of the most "uptarted" members around Sir (well informed about tarts i think :lol: )

I had the tart two weeks ago. It was OK, but a simple low fat creme brulee is much better to me, and probably much healthier. But yet on the other hand again, I guess it is pretty good for fast food.

Onstill one more other hand, I really do like the chicken. It is perhaps my favorite fast food in Thailand. The Zinger sandwich is great, especially as it is made with dark meat, unlike the white meat Zingers they make in the US.

I had the tart two weeks ago. It was OK, but a simple low fat creme brulee is much better to me, and probably much healthier. But yet on the other hand again, I guess it is pretty good for fast food.

Onstill one more other hand, I really do like the chicken. It is perhaps my favorite fast food in Thailand. The Zinger sandwich is great, especially as it is made with dark meat, unlike the white meat Zingers they make in the US.

Thailand comes top for chicken. Makro, 75 Baht a kilo for fresh chicken breast, just go ahead and deep fry it, as is. I do a honey, parsley, pepper and onion sauce affair for it.

It's one of the dogs favourites too.

That reminds me of an experience I had in Phuket a few years ago. It was after midnight and I was heading back to the hotel to crash. I passed by a street vendor with a huge wok, deep frying chicken. It smelled great so I glanced into the wok an thought "great! drumsticks", so I ordered 4.

When I got back to my room I could hardly wait to chow down one of those delicious drumsticks. I grabbed one from the bag and it nearly scared the $hit out of me. I was staring eye to eye with a chicken; beak wide open and with the appearance that it had experienced a horrifying death. :bah:

Needless to say I ended up throwing them out. I don't know who eats those things and I wouldn't even know where to start or what parts are actually edible. Now I'm much more careful to make sure I know exactly what I'm buying from a street vendor. :D

That reminds me of an experience I had in Phuket a few years ago. It was after midnight and I was heading back to the hotel to crash. I passed by a street vendor with a huge wok, deep frying chicken. It smelled great so I glanced into the wok an thought "great! drumsticks", so I ordered 4.

When I got back to my room I could hardly wait to chow down one of those delicious drumsticks. I grabbed one from the bag and it nearly scared the $hit out of me. I was staring eye to eye with a chicken; beak wide open and with the appearance that it had experienced a horrifying death. :bah:

Needless to say I ended up throwing them out. I don't know who eats those things and I wouldn't even know where to start or what parts are actually edible. Now I'm much more careful to make sure I know exactly what I'm buying from a street vendor. :D

:cheesy:

I grabbed one from the bag and it nearly scared the $hit out of me. I was staring eye to eye with a chicken; beak wide open and with the appearance that it had experienced a horrifying death. :bah:

Alice Cooper perhaps.

This maybe a little OT but I think I would be performing a public service for those who might make the same mistake as me.

I was walking through fortune town the other day and while passing the McDonald's I noticed they were promoting a Triple Cheeseburger.

I haven't eaten at a McDonald's for ages but I hadn't eaten all day and the burger looked delicious in the poster.

I ordered a meal set and when they brought the wrapped burger it was about 1/2 and inch thick. I asked, are you sure that's a triple burger; she said yes. When I sat down I opened the wrapper and sure enough there were actually three patties.

I can remember in the early 70's when the very first McDonald's opened in my home town. The Big Mac came in a cardboard box and when you open it the burger had a cardboard ring around it to keep it from falling over. You actually had to squeeze it just to take a bite.

Obviously things have changes a lot at McDonald's over the years. I'm just curious; when the slice of processed cheese is actually THICKER than the meat paddy, can you still legally call it a hamburger?

This maybe a little OT but I think I would be performing a public service for those who might make the same mistake as me.

I was walking through fortune town the other day and while passing the McDonald's I noticed they were promoting a Triple Cheeseburger.

I haven't eaten at a McDonald's for ages but I hadn't eaten all day and the burger looked delicious in the poster.

I ordered a meal set and when they brought the wrapped burger it was about 1/2 and inch thick. I asked, are you sure that's a triple burger; she said yes. When I sat down I opened the wrapper and sure enough there were actually three patties.

I can remember in the early 70's when the very first McDonald's opened in my home town. The Big Mac came in a cardboard box and when you open it the burger had a cardboard ring around it to keep it from falling over. You actually had to squeeze it just to take a bite.

Obviously things have changes a lot at McDonald's over the years. I'm just curious; when the slice of processed cheese is actually THICKER than the meat paddy, can you still legally call it a hamburger?

Could be the skyrocketing price of beef here.

when the slice of processed cheese is actually THICKER than the meat paddy, can you still legally call it a hamburger?

You mean to say they actually use BEEF?

If they are using beef it must include leather, fur, lips and ar$eholes because it doesn't take like beef to me.

when the slice of processed cheese is actually THICKER than the meat paddy, can you still legally call it a hamburger?

You mean to say they actually use BEEF?

If they are using beef it must include leather, fur, lips and ar$eholes because it doesn't take like beef to me.

Well I wasn't sure.

I'm lead to believe beef is involved, somehow.

Shush! It does not matter if they are good, or not. You are supposed to say how crap all American fast food places are and how much more clever you are than " the herd" for recognizing that obvious truth. Didn't you learn anything at Uni? :whistling:

Thats the spirit boys! :whistling:

Shush! It does not matter if they are good, or not. You are supposed to say how crap all American fast food places are and how much more clever you are than " the herd" for recognizing that obvious truth. Didn't you learn anything at Uni? :whistling:

Thats the spirit boys! :whistling:

McDonald's isn't American food. Taco Bell is. :D

I like Thai KFC better than in the UK though the plate/glass/cutlery is a bit weird. Didn't try the custard tarts, though are a lifelong favourite..

Agreed, I won't touch the stuff in the UK but I am partial to the Thai version, I've yet to try the custard tarts as well.

I like Thai KFC better than in the UK though the plate/glass/cutlery is a bit weird. Didn't try the custard tarts, though are a lifelong favourite..

Agreed, I won't touch the stuff in the UK but I am partial to the Thai version, I've yet to try the custard tarts as well.

With the exception of the egg tarts, i actually feel quite the reverse. Quality of the UK KFC chicken seems much better than the sad greasy stuff we get here from Mr Sanders. KFC french fries in Thailand are awful too.

They're sort of like what we in the UK call egg custard.

No they are exactly egg custard. Nothing "tart" about them. Idiotic marketing ploy.

Agreed,

and writing "tart" in a script that is easily misread as "fart" does not help either...

Did not have one of these "egg farts" but the missus likes them.

Tried the custard tarts on your recomendation ,sorry nothing like the real thing and rather pricy for what they are ,go to big c at the moment they are doing a custard filled bun in chou pastry 4 baht each ,much nicer and cheaper. :)

ps i like kfc chicken

Tried the custard tarts on your recomendation ,sorry nothing like the real thing and rather pricy for what they are ,go to big c at the moment they are doing a custard filled bun in chou pastry 4 baht each ,much nicer and cheaper. :)

ps i like kfc chicken

Horses for courses as they say.

As far as them not being like the real thing is concerned, i'm not sure how many people are familiar with the real thing to make that comparison.

To me what makes them a cut above other pastry items sold in places such as Big C, is that they are served hot. Makes a world of difference, to me anyway.

If we're laying out hearts on out sleeves here I will admit to finding a piping hot straight from the fryer McDonalds Filet O Fish absolutely scrumdiddlyumptious.

Burger King. No need for three or even two beef patties. Standard Whopper, no fries. Just a Whopper.

We haven't got a BK in Khon Kaen so when I went to Chiang Mai and saw they had a 24 hour one I nearly wept with joy.

There's only KFC in Roi-Et, although Tim does burgers which more than rival BK. So all is not lost.

One burger every six weeks. It's a treat.

I would do the 50 km. motorbike trip to Roi-Et just for one of those burgers. Can you give directions?

Burger-less in the Baan-awk.

Burger King. No need for three or even two beef patties. Standard Whopper, no fries. Just a Whopper.

We haven't got a BK in Khon Kaen so when I went to Chiang Mai and saw they had a 24 hour one I nearly wept with joy.

There's only KFC in Roi-Et, although Tim does burgers which more than rival BK. So all is not lost.

One burger every six weeks. It's a treat.

I would do the 50 km. motorbike trip to Roi-Et just for one of those burgers. Can you give directions?

Burger-less in the Baan-awk.

Where's Baan-awk?

It's on the little road that goes round the big pond. If that's any help.