Typing Thai Language For An Sms. ..

Tod Daniels

Okay, I can almost touch type anything in thai I wanna write on the p/c. I can do transcription (uhh, type what I see in thai from a page into a word document). I can chat on ‘M” no problem. .. But man, I just spent nearly 30 minutes tryin' to hand key the b/s thai language message thru my mobile phone; "How are you? I'm okay. Yes, I still live on Soi 12, visit me when you have free time. Take care, na. .."

Is it me or is typin' thai on a touch tone phone really that hard? I even had go out on the internet and find which thai characters were under which numbers on a standard touch tone phone keypad!! Still, even looking at that on my p/c monitor, it took me nearly 23 minutes to type in thai what is maybe a 45 second engrish SMS!

I can't be that stupid, can I? (FWIW: this is a rhetorical question, meaning no answer is wanted OR needed! :P )

If anyone else has a problem typin' thai language SMS's lemme know, but ONLY if you have an OLD model phone, not an I-fone, or something like that. My mobile is nearly a 5 year old Sony-Ericsson.

Actually, about the only good thing for my phone is; you can leave it on the table at any thai food court when you go piss, and NO ONE will steal it! While your gone, they might look at it (as in, when you come back it's been moved), but because it's SOO old, they just leave it on the table, lol. Go figure :o . ..

In other news; I went to Fortune Tower today, and a phone guy at a shop there said he'd give me 200 baht in trade for the screen but everything else on my phone was junk and he'd just throw it away!

Still my mobile works perfectly, has been repaired at the Sony shop many times, and is still going strong (okay, you caught me, it's still going medium, ok?.

Lemme know how you get on with typin' thai language SMS's? Easy or Hard?

Yes, it's hard. Many Thai people will actually text in English, or write Thai with Roman characters.

If I really need to send a Thai language text, I compose the text on my computer then download it to the 'phone to send. Much easier, plus I get spell checking.

I have a 3 year-old Samsung and the problem with this phone is that once you type in one Thai character it prompts for the next character within a split second. So if the character you want to type is the 4th press of one button, you have to press 4 times in quick succession, i.e no time to stop and check what character you have got to. Any moment of indecision and it moves on to prompt for the next character entry.

I have worked out where to find all the letters and symbols ok, but it takes me ages to type a message because I have to workout how many presses on each button are required beforehand (and keep repeating if I get it wrong)

However the western/Roman characters give enough time to check your entries as you go along.

Is this normal for Thai sms script?

And can anybody get T9 to work satisfactorily for Thai sms?

I have a 3 year-old Samsung and the problem with this phone is that once you type in one Thai character it prompts for the next character within a split second. So if the character you want to type is the 4th press of one button, you have to press 4 times in quick succession, i.e no time to stop and check what character you have got to. Any moment of indecision and it moves on to prompt for the next character entry.

I have worked out where to find all the letters and symbols ok, but it takes me ages to type a message because I have to workout how many presses on each button are required beforehand (and keep repeating if I get it wrong)

However the western/Roman characters give enough time to check your entries as you go along.

Is this normal for Thai sms script?

And can anybody get T9 to work satisfactorily for Thai sms?

T9 works fine for me for texting, it works the same way as the English version and is fast until you come to a word you don't know how to spell :huh: