New Airport Advantages

The Coder

:D After the  Makasan station ( how far unknown), the elevated railway will go down from the elevated tracks to use the double-tracked eastern route (already double tracked rails from Hua Mark to Chachoensao) to Lat Krabang and then go up to another elevated way to go across Onnut Road to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA's main terminal which can be completed by next Feb.  (2/2006) :D . So far, minor construction of elevated track from Lat Krabang to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA  terminal has been completed.  :D

:D:D:o:D

So my drawings for a totally elevated railway, standard gauge, 25kV overhead electrified, design speed of 160 kph, with an extension to Don Muang are wrong then ????

I wouldn't want to run any train at 160kph on the existing double track, espcially with wheels on only 1 rail !!!!! :D:D

Guess your drawings weren't considered during the discussion. I didn't say this , I just work here. :D Your comments are appreciated. I'll pass them on.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D After the  Makasan station ( how far unknown), the elevated railway will go down from the elevated tracks to use the double-tracked eastern route (already double tracked rails from Hua Mark to Chachoensao) to Lat Krabang and then go up to another elevated way to go across Onnut Road to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA's main terminal which can be completed by next Feb.  (2/2006) :D . So far, minor construction of elevated track from Lat Krabang to Suvanabhumi Airport/SBIA  terminal has been completed.  :D

:D:D:o:D

So my drawings for a totally elevated railway, standard gauge, 25kV overhead electrified, design speed of 160 kph, with an extension to Don Muang are wrong then ????

I wouldn't want to run any train at 160kph on the existing double track, espcially with wheels on only 1 rail !!!!! :D:D

Guess your drawings weren't considered during the discussion. I didn't say this , I just work here. :D Your comments are appreciated. I'll pass them on.

It would appear that discussions have progressed then

Gov says rail will be completed by Feb 2006.

:D

Contract commenced earlier this year,intended to be 2 1/2 years (ish) being built by that well known European company "Nemesis", already a 250 day extension of time,due to obstructions on the alignment - the usual sort of thing, squatters, roads, discos, bars etc...........so you're looking at end 2008 b4 the railway opens

Hey they did not say a "New Railway" did they :o why a new one when the old one works just fine all they need do is put in a switch lay some track (that is what the new rail bed being built is for?) , and a terminal at the BIA

Not real sure but they said "connection to" not "Brand New"? :D

MRT already has a major terminal at Hua Lampong, so all they need to buy really is some nice AC cars and have no stops Hua Lampong to BIA.

Boom new Rail Link BKK BIA

PS they have already finished a switch and track to Evergreens container port :D I watched them build it. As I take the train from Hua Take to Hua Lampong not less than humm.... forget but every time I do come to BKK. They finished that one in 3 months so don’t laugh this off too dang quick.

Argument points: you can connect by sky train to subway and get off at Hua Lampong, so the fundamental argument is null? And if someone wants to say ohhhh you cheated, they simply put look-alike Sky Train cars at Hua Lampong and say "transfer" :D

And would seem to confirm "connect from sky train to BIA" you just have to transfer from one car to the next. You alternate, you can use MRT and change only once :D

Gov says rail will be completed by Feb 2006.

:D

Contract commenced earlier this year,intended to be 2 1/2 years (ish) being built by that well known European company "Nemesis", already a 250 day extension of time,due to obstructions on the alignment - the usual sort of thing, squatters, roads, discos, bars etc...........so you're looking at end 2008 b4 the railway opens

Hey they did not say a "New Railway" did they :o why a new one when the old one works just fine all they need do is put in a switch lay some track (that is what the new rail bed being built is for?) , and a terminal at the BIA

MRT already has a major terminal at Hua Lampong, so all they need to buy really is some nice AC cars and have no stops Hua Lampong to BIA.

Boom new Rail Link BKK BIA

PS they have already finished a switch and track to Evergreens container port :D I watched them build it. As I take the train from Hua Take to Hua Lampong not less than humm.... forget but every time I do come to BKK. They finished that one in 3 months so don’t laugh this off too dang quick.

Argument points: you can connect by sky train to subway and get off at Hua Lampong, so the fundamental argument is null? And if someone wants to say ohhhh you cheated, they simply put look-alike Sky Train cars at Hua Lampong and say "transfer" :D

And would seem to confirm "connect from sky train to BIA" you just have to transfer from one car to the next. You alternate, you can use MRT and change only once :D

And this is the rolling stock for this venture - one careful owner, full service history, showroom condition, ready for an international airport railway

:D:D

post-21025-1125542605_thumb.jpg post-21025-1125542626_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyfletch

Hey they did not say a "New Railway" did they  :o  why a new one when the old one works just fine all they need do is put in a switch lay some track (that is what the new rail bed being built is for?) , and a terminal at the BIA 

I'm sure they could whip together some half-assed solution in fairly short order that uses the existing metre-gauge double track on the SRT eastern line but I thought the intended plan was to provide a comfortable, high-speed link from the new airport to town? I have always pictured a train more along the lines of the KLIA Ekspres that now links Kuala Lumpur International to the KL Sentral railway station. The KLIA Ekspres operates on a much wider gauge track than the standard KTM trains. These separate tracks are therefore isolated from the "regular" Malaysian trains so the airport train can operate independently from the other rail traffic.

Not real sure but they said "connection to" not "Brand New"? :o

I'm sure they could whip together some half-assed solution in fairly short order that uses the existing metre-gauge double track on the SRT eastern line but I thought the intended plan was to provide a comfortable, high-speed link from the new airport to town? I have always pictured a train more along the lines of the KLIA Ekspres that now links Kuala Lumpur International to the KL Sentral railway station. The KLIA Ekspres operates on a much wider gauge track than the standard KTM trains. These separate tracks are therefore isolated from the "regular" Malaysian trains so the airport train can operate independently from the other rail traffic.

Spot on - thats my understanding too...........and can you imagine what a field day the international press would have if the airport opened, new all singing all dancing international hub, with existing SRT rolling stock as the " Airport Express"??............laughing stock doesn't go anywher near close enough to describing it

Hate the thought of having to commute from the new airport seeing we live close to Don Muang.

I'm the same. I live in Lad Prao. So how much is a taxi gonna cost from the airport to wherever now?Lets say KSR at the moment around 200 baht. But how much would it cost to go from the other one? Seems such a long way out. The taxis are gonna have field day. :o

straight onto the motorway at bang kapi and you are there in another 15 mins ! much easier than going to DM

Last night, I took a bycycle trip across town, following the SRT route in between Rama 9 and New Phetchburi. ( parallel to Kampaengpet 7 and Makasan)

I was relieved to see that there is a lot of construction equipment, cranes, and tractors blocking off and crowding certain areas along the tracks, most notingly in the section just south of Royal City Avenue. I presume this is the ground-breaking adjustment work for the Suanapoom line.

It doesn't seem likely or feasible that the entire line will be elevated like the original master plans i.e. Hopewell. As most major road routes that cross the railway i.e. Ekamai-Chalong Rat, Ramkhamhaeng (I'm not sure about this one) have elevated ramps passing high over the rail tracks, an entire elevated line is unnessecary and illogical at this point.

However, other sections will most certainly need to be elevated as to not add additional traffic hazards for a high-speed (hourly) train to/fro Makasan-Suanapoom. Particularly the area between Rachada-Asoke and Petch Utai road. As the intersection around Asoke (near Petchburi subway station) is already a badly jammed area throughout any given work day, I'm sure the engineers aren't that ignorant as to not elevate the line here.

Anyhow, I assume all that construction equipment in the area mentioned earlier is for this purpose. Can anyone confirm this?

Another question at mind is what was the final take of the Hopewell Pillars study several months ago? It seemed at one point following many studies that not all of them would be demolished and several were still salvageable and confirmed to be utilized for the elevated sections of the rail-line. However, the politics are so confusing whenever Mr. T involves/decides in the situation.

Remember, he is someone who has a lot to lose if less people were buying his controlled oil/gas, not to mention using the expressways/highway mouse-trap extensions that he fully backs/supports.

Anyhow, I assume all that construction equipment in the area mentioned earlier is for this purpose. Can anyone confirm this?

Thats right, and I agree with your comments on the Asoke intersection.

Having an old clanker going through 4 times a day is not the same as a train every 10 minutes, they'll have to elevate that part, elevate the road or tunnel.

Don't forget we are talking about a high speed railway here (160kph). It will have to be entirely elevated, the grades required to climb high enough to go across roads just won't fit in the available space.

Trains don't climb like cars, expect a maximum grade of 1-2% for operation at full speed, that's about 1.1km to get up to a 11m road crossing!

The other reason to elevate is safety, not of the passengers but of the public. People are used to crossing the tracks, a quick look both ways, you can see the trundle boxes coming hours before they hit you, at 160kph, if you can see it coming you're too late.

Edited by Crossy

Don't forget we are talking about a high speed railway here (160kph). It will have to be entirely elevated, the grades required to climb high enough to go across roads just won't fit in the available space.

Trains don't climb like cars, expect a maximum grade of 1-2% for operation at full speed, that's about 1.1km to get up to a 11m road crossing!

The other reason to elevate is safety, not of the passengers but of the public. People are used to crossing the tracks, a quick look both ways, you can see the trundle boxes coming hours before they hit you, at 160kph, if you can see it coming you're too late.

Physics is physics and logic is logic.

However, as I stated, I don't see how they will elevate the entire what 30-40 km stretch. Atleast not within the next 6 years.

Particularly the Ekamai-Chalong Rat cross section. Here the road already has a 10-15 meter overpass over the tracks.

West of this, the only major north-south roads that would require elevated overpass is Rachada-Asoke and Petch Utai road. Then there is the Vipaweed expressway near makasan--which is intriguing to see how they will work around, over, or under this.

I'm not really sure the situation first hand east of the Ekamai-Chalong Rat overpass (which is just east of the marked Klong Tan station on the map) From looking at the map, it looks pretty messy that direction all the way up to the Hua Maak station, however after that seems to be pretty clear to Tup Chang station smoothly running parallel Rama 9-Motor Way with no more major north-south road intersections to worry about after Srinakarin. Then there is this big moustrap of the tollway Eastern Outer Ring Road just east of Tup Chang before reaching Lad Gra bang station.

It will be interesting to see how an elevated train, assuming it is elevated the entire route---which I'm doubting, will work around the existing moustraps and overpasses mentioned.