Platinum Motor (bikes)

LadyinRed

My platinum 150-8 has been great, no problems so far.The 250DJ I saw was 75000 bt in pattaya not 85000. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for your update. Went to the dealer here in udon 2 days ago, but was told that the new bikes hasn't arrived yet. Could only be after the 20th. Maybe it is bht 85,000 here in udon (Northeast Thailand) due to delivery costs from down south/central.

Anyway, thanks a heap for your update.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My platinum 150-8 has been great, no problems so far.The 250DJ I saw was 75000 bt in pattaya not 85000. Good luck with your purchase.

Thanks for your update. Went to the dealer here in udon 2 days ago, but was told that the new bikes hasn't arrived yet. Could only be after the 20th. Maybe it is bht 85,000 here in udon (Northeast Thailand) due to delivery costs from down south/central.

Anyway, thanks a heap for your update.

It's 67,000 here in Roi Et.

Edited by OzPaR

• 2 weeks later...
I know three farang down here that have baught platinums. The basic mechanicals seem ok. However, the quality of the electrics, body etc. are very substandard. All of them have to make repeated trips to the dealer to get a multitude of things fixed or replaced after they have fallen off! They start at around 50,000 but I doubt you would get 20,000 after a year, making them an expensive proposition.

THESE ARE NOT THAI, THEY ARE A CHINESE BUDGET BIKE, I LIKEN THEM TO A 30 YEAR OLD NEW BIKE WITH A COPY OF A HONADA XL ENGINE ( THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT THE BIKE ) .WE HAVE SIMILAR RUBBISH BEING SOLD IN THE UK AND AFTER 1 WINTER THE TIN FOIL CHROME FALLS OFF, FINISH IS AWFUL, BUY A 2 YEAR OLD THAI ( HONDA /YAMAHA /SUZUKI/ KAWASAKI , MUCH BETTER

I traded my 2 year old honda phantom for a platinum because my exhaust was rusted out and my chrome was peeling everywhere.I paid 82000bt and sold it for 40,000 lost 42,000.When i sell my platinum I dont think I will lose that much.

I traded my 2 year old honda phantom for a platinum because my exhaust was rusted out and my chrome was peeling everywhere.I paid 82000bt and sold it for 40,000 lost 42,000.When i sell my platinum I dont think I will lose that much.

Probably because you won't be able to sell it :o

I my self have a Platinum PX 125, (Off Road Bike Enduro). There is no competition from any manufacturer in Thailand, exept the small Kawasaki, but this its to small. The Platinum i bought for 44'000 Baht, and within a month the dealer had it registered with white plates. My gf bought a Nuovo since 4 months already and still have only red plates) Maybe the Company work with the money first, who knows. Only Platinum offers a Enduro Bike for this Price. If i want to buy a Yahama i have to spend at least 5 or 6 times more money, that's what i just saw at the motorshow in BKK. So even i drive my Platinum for 3 years and sale it than for , let's say 10'000 Baht, i still made a very good deal. What else you could buy for 44'000 Baht? A 15 year old Honda AX 1 cost the same price and then if you find one you have to spend the same amount again in repairs, because it was a formert rental bike. I'm happy with that platinum and i would buy it again! It's the best for Pattayas bad roads

I would have to agree with you on that.I bought 3 platinum bikes already 1 for me 1 for the tg and the last 1 for her brother.The chopper is running great and so is the automatic Jungle.We bought the cool town 125cc for her brother for 19,900 on there special promotion only a week ago so I will see how it goes.I saw the enduro bikes a little to big for me.There service is great we got our plates and book within a month . I believe the owner is an american guy that why there service is so good, not thai owned.

Im wondering how these bikes compare to the honda phantom,I priced both and there was a 50,000 bt difference with all the extras.The platinum was 55000 and the honda 108,000.My mate has one and said it's worth the money.Anyone else have info.

its not thai. its chinese <deleted>, go buy a secondhand phantom if that is your budget ,.

I bought 2 Platinum PX 125 Enduro Motorbikes in Pattaya, from this American Guy. Both of them no proplem at all, excellent ride, not so much power, but enought for the City. Platinum are Chinese Bikes, not made in Thailand. I paid 44'000 Baht per bike and i think it is much better to buy a new platinum, than buying a 10 year old used Honda AX1 (simular) for the same price where you have to repair for another 30'000 Baht, because it was a ex rental bike. I think its the same with everything. You have to see the price. The Choppers are much plastic stuff, i'm agree, but they are so cheap! Today is everything plastic, Look at the new cars. A 30 year old Opel Rekord or Toyota Crown was everything solid steel, big strong steel bumpers with American Cars in the seventies. Today is everything Plastic! The todays "plastic car". They falling a part when you have the smallest Accident. But again: I think the Platinum is a god motorbike for the price, otherwise you have to spend more money for a Harley.

What those old cars that took twice as much fuel to get their weight off the line ?,. things have moved on my friend, your 30 year old new platinum is just that, a new old bike, im sure you will love it !

I bought 2 Platinum PX 125 Enduro Motorbikes in Pattaya, from this American Guy. Both of them no proplem at all, excellent ride, not so much power, but enought for the City. Platinum are Chinese Bikes, not made in Thailand. I paid 44'000 Baht per bike and i think it is much better to buy a new platinum, than buying a 10 year old used Honda AX1 (simular) for the same price where you have to repair for another 30'000 Baht, because it was a ex rental bike. I think its the same with everything. You have to see the price. The Choppers are much plastic stuff, i'm agree, but they are so cheap! Today is everything plastic, Look at the new cars. A 30 year old Opel Rekord or Toyota Crown was everything solid steel, big strong steel bumpers with American Cars in the seventies. Today is everything Plastic! The todays "plastic car". They falling a part when you have the smallest Accident. But again: I think the Platinum is a god motorbike for the price, otherwise you have to spend more money for a Harley.

I don't know for sure where the bikes are made, but one of the salesman had told me that the engines come from Malaysia. The finish on the engines is really rough and crude, like a cheap Chinese metal handtool such as an adjustable wrench. There is also no name or manufacturers plate on the engines which make them very suspect as to where in the hel_l they come from.

Pattaya Dave

the engine is a fairly good copy of an early 80s honda xl engine, ( the best part of the bike ) the rest is chocolate,. the climate here will mean they last 3 years, in canada or the uk 1 winter and its an anchor !

I live in rayong and went to an auction in pattaya last year and bought a nouvo with 800km.I paid 35000bt for it,when I picked it up the battery was missing inside no problem.Then after i got it running i drove it it was trailing sideways,The shop said the main frame was bent.11,000bt later.I picked it up from the shop and drove on the main road and had a bad vibration the 2 mags where slightly bent 750bt more .All and All after paying the fee's ,vat,changing name and repairs I could of bought a brand new one with a warranty for the same 50,000bt.Any automatic bike in perfect condition at the auctions brings almost as much as a second hand one on the market within a few thousand bt.The difference is you can drive the private sellers bike.If you want a shift bike without electric start then you get a good deal.

is it worth messing about running here and there, these bikes are only a round of drinks new ! jeez

Thanks for your help I went to see the Platinums today in the carrefour show on pattaya klang the display was brillant,they sent me to the showroom on 3rd road and it looked like they were giving something away.I saw seven bikes being delivered in 20 minutes.I will go back for a test ride when there not so busy.Any feed back on the choppers?

Hello bingo2 2007 02 03 1119109

I originally planned to buy a S/H Honda Phantom. Primarily for 1000k trips .Ideally one 'Fully Loaded'. To that end I rented one for 2 days. I decided that the Phantom was not for me. Too low and difficult around corners. So I tested a Platinum Monaco 150.I liked it immediately.Comfortable ,good seating position and easy to handle.

I was concious of the fact that when you buy a bike from a Tawain Company(assembled in Bangkok)the BIG picture (ie the general design and specification) would be highly satisfactory. The SMALL picture (ie the detail of both design and assembly) however is likely to be a challenge.The Japs typically get both right.

However ,persuaded by the BIG picture (and the very low price) I purchased a Monaco 250DJ.

I list the challenges after 6 weeks ownership.

1) Vibration. The engine mountings were simply too light duty. All owners were complaining, I guess,so Platinum(3rd Rd Pattaya) organised a re-call back to Bangkok for a up- grade to a stiffer design .Vibration is now not an issue

2) Gearing.This was simply too low. So I found a sprocket manufacturer in Bangkok. They supplied me with 30T to replace the existing 35T rear sprocket.Gear ratios are now ideal.Platinum(Bangkok) finance the Pattaya workshop and 3 mechanics adjacent to the dealer. So labour is for free.

3)Battery.Nothing wrong with the battery supplied-except it was from a Monaco 150 DJ . This was swapped

4) Starter Motor failure. This occurred conveniently in No - Mans Land between Thailand and Cambodia.

Enthusiastic and Baht hungry Khymers were happy to bump me off .Drove the bike into Koh Kong.Luckily the motor bike repair service in Koh Kong has a 'Can Do 'attitude.The stator(which is made from carbon)must have been undersized. This near interference fit had generated carbon dust.This dust resulted in rotor seizure. The motor when stripped was then cleaned (using petrol drained from my tank) and now works perfectly. I suspect it will be good forever now.

Only time will tell if the 'Small ' picture presents more challenges.

The 'Big ' picture has lived up to expectations. The bike is great to drive.

Delight 13 03 2007

The only reason platinum have got their foot in the door here in thailand is because the big 4 dont make a trail bike for the home market, why ? this is a question i have been asking myself for 15 years !

Yes that's the thing. Other companys sleeping and produce all the same style ofe motorbikes. It's allway the same overhere; Somebody start something an 6 months later everybody will copy them, the get a piece of the cake. I love Enduro bikes, but i'm not willing to spend 250'000 Baht for a new Kawa or Yahama, because i use the bike only occasionaly for the city and the bad sois. I not go jumping! Yes this is a new old bike, therfore i love them, it's the same as with the cars. I would buy a new old car if i can. Somebody say in a erlier post: "Thinks moving forward"! Old vehicles uses twice much fuel than today. It's not the true, my old Toyota uses not much more than a new one, if the carburetor and the timing is adjusted. But everybody can repair this car, specially when i was in cambo last month. Can somebody explane to my how they gonna repair a electronic problem of a engine management system with a new car? Can somebody tell me how we fix electronic problems when a new car was flouted. Thats a expensive and very timewaisting matter. Insurences gonna incrise dramaticly, because repairs come expensive with all this new electronic things. We save gasoline, but we pay much more for service and repairs and diagnostic checks, when this new cars get troubles. New electronic plasic cars are only good for cities, and highways. I would not go with a new plastic SUV in the desert. More electronic stuff in your vehicle, more you get problems. The same is with the bikes. Old bikes uses a little more gasoline than new ones, but everybody can repair the new old platinum engines (no electronic carburetors) hand joke, no problems. Nuovo, no hand joke: always problems with the ideling speed when cold. By the way my platinum used not more fuel than my gf's Nuovo.

I don't know for sure where the bikes are made, but one of the salesman had told me that the engines come from Malaysia. The finish on the engines is really rough and crude, like a cheap Chinese metal handtool such as an adjustable wrench. There is also no name or manufacturers plate on the engines which make them very suspect as to where in the hel_l they come from.

Pattaya Dave

Hi dave, they are a chinese honda xl engine copy ( probably done with original tooling ) from the 70s ,, these are an unbranded name bike and you and i could go to china and buy a container of these and have mike and dave as a brand name, i have my opinion of them, but as with my opinions of some of my friends girlfriends/wives il keep it to myself for fear of personal injury,. all the best, mike

• 4 weeks later...

The Platinum bikes are made by HONGDOU GROUP CHITUMA MOTORCYCLE CO. in China.

http://www.chituma.com/English/products/50...E/CTM150GY.html

I bought the Platinum PX 175 from Bangkok showroom for 48000 baht and rode it 500km to Surin.

No mechanical problems so far. Some observations:

The engine has nice power and torque for 175cc. The speedo is wildly inaccurate.

The engine causes lots of vibrations at higher speed. The gearing feels too short for highway use.

Front brake is a weak 1-piston model, the last time I saw 1-piston disc brake was in my 1981 Honda CB 250 RS.

The tires work poorly on paved roads; the feeling is vague all the time, on gravel they work well.

I plant to upgrade the tires to these Bridgestone TW301/TW302.

http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/trailwing/index.html

- Evasion

Remember, you get what you pay for....crap!!

Lots of observations, you seem to have a grasp of the performance but don't understand why you didn't go that extra mile & buy a phantom or something around that size :o

Lots of observations, you seem to have a grasp of the performance but don't understand why you didn't go that extra mile & buy a phantom or something around that size :o

You may consider that he bought a Dirt Bike, the phantom is IMHO some kind of Chopper. There are, AFAIK, no new (beside of Platinum) Dirt Bikes around, at least not for a resonable Price. And, especially with the high Standard of Roads we have here in Pattaya, a Dirt Bike would be first choice.

Hi delight can you tell me how easy is it to take your bike across the border into Cambodia. What paperwork do you need at the border and how is the roads now? last time i went they were pretty bad!!

[/quote

Hello carbine1125

You will require the Green Book in your name(the bike must have awhite plate)

The hassle is all on the Thai side. You will go from window to window at Thai Immigration.

At the Hat lek border the officials are on the RHS. You must obtain some paper work from this area and then proceed to a building on the Left hand side. You will have no problems getting thru,but it appears that the official who deals with Passports knows nothing about motor bike entries.

The fun may start on the Cambodian side

I refuse to pay the opening asking price for my Visa(typically they ask 1200 Baht.)

The price is 20USD. I take USD with me and stand my ground. They will lie and cheat you into giving them the 1200

Typical statements

1) Dollar is not official Cambodian Currency . Lie Number1

2) 20USD only applies if you fly into Phnon Penh Lie Number 2

3) They will ask you to go outside. Insist that you wish to purchase a Visa . The price is 20 USD. You have 20 USD . One Visa please

4) They will threaten to take you to their boss. Insist that they do

Typically you will have to wait outside . After 5 mins go back into the office. At this point they want to see the back of you and will accept 20USD

Cost of bringing a motor bike into Cambodia. There is none. Do not mention the motor bike. If you do they will charge you 100 Baht per day

Roads

I can only speak from my experience in March 2007

There is now a new road . When I was there one section was very dodgy. I hired a moto to lead the way.ie If he can do it so can I. This section could now well be finished. I cannot tell u where the road was heading to. I was staying in Koh Kong and fancied a drive. The road as the crow flies is a extension of the new Bridge. Driving on that part iof the road which was complete was a delight. New road,beautiful scenery and no traffic

Good luck

Delight

I have 3 platinums 150,jungle and the cool town great value for the money and so far not a problem.I will be trading in the 150 chopper for the new 250.They let me test it and I was very impressed.I paid 55,000 for the 150 and they offered me 50,000 on trade .I see many px 175 enduros in town and the guys I speak to say there great and for 48000 what do you expect.

Remember when you could buy a Yugo in the early 80's for $3000.00 cash American!

The lovely machinery was around for 3 years & parts stopped production 1 year after.

I recently went on a small ride on a friends Kawasali 175 & drove with my neighbor & he used his new Platinum.

Not only was the Kawasaki able to blow the doors off the platinum but at the end of the run from Pattaya to Bang Saree . the Kawi was still running & I was helping on fixing the electrical wiring (the bike's wiring shut off all power to the components, it was easy to fix & true the bike is under warranty, but whats tyhe point he only had 1025 kilometers on the meter. Upon getting the electricalsystem going the carburator took a dump as well, it seems that like the old cars in the 50's & 60's when they used oil baths(oil would run thru a roll of toilet paper)

which was an excellent system , The platinum must use a bath similar system of dirt. his carb had 35,000 kilos

worth of accumulated dirt & sure didn't seem like it was leaking around the filter area or the jacket to the filter.

You get what you pay for! This brand along with it's sister counterpart The JRD(short for TURD) is not worth the time to recycle the waste. Just think why are the Japenese bikes & cars the dominant force in automobiles & bikes. THEY TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR THINGS THEY PRODUCE_WHILE CHINA IS MORE CONCERNED IN BEING & SELLING TO THE CHEAP CHARLEY"S.

I mean no offense to those it works for but I see my self worth a little more than a YUGO kinda guy!

Edited by Beardog

3 hours ago whilst still in bed my wife said " i think we should get a motor bike for the short trips around town.. the car is a bit too big."

As she said it the platinum advert came on the TV. 19900 baht I think was quoted... we will ll have one of them then, said I.

I have just finished my breakfast which I made myself!

I think the starting price for a Yugo was about $3995, and they were junk, and disappeared several years later. The Hyundai Excel came out a couple years later, was far superior to the Yugo, and may have started at a price of $4995, though it was inferior in quality to the Toyotas and Hondas that started at around $6995 (except none were ever sold at that price).

I think the comparison to JRD's and Platinums which sell for 19.900 baht, compared to Japanese bikes of similar size and design, is valid. Chinese quality is far inferior to the big four Japanese makes.

Sure it was down to crap quality that the Yugo disapeared?

Wonder if the disapearance of the place where it was made ( YUGOslavia ) had owt to do with it? :o

The Yugo was a cheap, poorly built Slavic version of a cheap, poorly built Italian Fiat, and was obsolete by the time it came to the US. That was in the 1980's, before the Soviet Union satellites became independent. It was extremely bad, and failed on its own demerits.

The relevance is that the Chinese motorcycles being imported to Thailand may have terribly bad design and quality; their distributors may be out of business soon; the warranties may become worthless; parts may already be difficult to find; etc.

your right the cars were cheap and rubbish and were doomed to failure as was yogoslavia after the death of Tito.

Maybe some history buff could advise but for me to call Yugoslavia a sattelite and not independant of the former soviet union is a bit unfair. They were to my recollection fiercley independant post 2nd world war.

The platinum cannot be all bad if as per earlier poster says the engines are copies of the old honda xl125. I had a xl125 in around 83 back in uk and the engine was good although restricted by then as per uk law to 12hp. The xl125 engine of around 1980 was an unrestriced beast and the bike awesomely raw.

:o I don't think there is a question of the quality of the platinum bikes. The engine may be a copy of the Honda xl 125 but it was not produced in Japan. Good design means nothing when built poorly. Look at what untrained Thai mechanics do to well designed Japanese engines, have you ever seen them use a torque wrench? Do they know what a torque wrench is? Anyways IMHO a platinum is like a Bic lighter cheap and disposable if you purchase the bike with that in mind you will be happy.