Platinum Motor (bikes)

LadyinRed

I think the starting price for a Yugo was about $3995, and they were junk, and disappeared several years later. The Hyundai Excel came out a couple years later, was far superior to the Yugo, and may have started at a price of $4995, though it was inferior in quality to the Toyotas and Hondas that started at around $6995 (except none were ever sold at that price).

I think the comparison to JRD's and Platinums which sell for 19.900 baht, compared to Japanese bikes of similar size and design, is valid. Chinese quality is far inferior to the big four Japanese makes.

So true, having been an auto-bike-truck & train mechanic in the U.S. for over 35 years I found myself having to fabricate parts for the Yugo- including body parts as well as the factory parts for replacement never fit.

far worse than any Pacer ever built! Well Phils beautiful Platinum blew the motor at 1352 kilometers. I think the wristpin connecting the piston to the rod seems to have been milled about .008 mills down from what it should have been. I also was a millright for a bit & if you cant turn a part down to .0009 you should stay at home & have a bottle of whiskey!

I think when it gets out of the shop he plans to turn it & buy A well designed Japanese bike. I would love to say America turns out the best but it took till the late 80's for Harley Davidson to figure out that rubber mounting the engine is really a great idea & copied Japans Technology. They sure sound throaty though!

It doesn't matter what you drive if I see you on the side of the road regaurdless of what bike you have I will turn a wrench for you & get you going, although a blown motor is going to require a truck!!!!!

Peace Beardog

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a shop in Phuket, as well as one in BKK.

Website: www.platinummotor.net (well apparently nothing in there)

Address in BKK: 1643/5 New Petchburi Road Rajtaevee

New bikes going for pretty reasonable prices. Just wondering if anyone heard of them, or own one of those bikes.

Thanks for any information.

My next door neighbour one and had nothing but trouble. Then the dealer in Ayutthaya disapperared and in the end she gave it away. It was only 2 years old

We talk about small money!!! It's not worth to buy second hand motorbikes (small bikes i mean). All the hassles from the auctuions, paperwork, auctionfees, 7% VAT, waiting for the blue book, etc. Forget it! By the way Automatics are not automatics, like in the cars. The Italian Company Piaggio manufactered the same automatic System 30 years ago. They are not Automatic, they are "Variomatic" The Transmission works with a rubber belt.Very easy constructuin, nothing can go wrong. Swedisch Car Company DAF had the same technologie in their Cars, 30 years ago. I myself have a Platinum Motorbike and would buy it again. 2 months now, no troubles at all, daily use in Pattaya

Hello Stingray

Its not Swedisch its a DUTCH company and called Van Doorens Automobielfabriek and the stay in Eindhoven in the Netherlands near the Belgium border

Ceeyou MartinandhissonLuka

• 2 weeks later...
Where is the Platinum shop in Pattaya? 3rd road but where?

I believe they are opposite X-ite Disco on Third Road .

Would not buy them .Got a second hand Honda ,3 year old ,low milage ,looks like new ,much better .

Don't

Simple as that.

Had a test drive the other day. Thought the general feel of the bike was awful!.

The clutch was so hard to operate.....well, I would have had to do a lot of left hand exercises in Ton's Gym to have

been able to ride it in traffic.......the whole thing is clonky and crap. BUT then it is only 55000 bht.

A Harley it ain't!

Buy a Yamaha Nuovo for the same money. It's a quality machine and far better.

It is right across the street from Exite.

Maybe if you are really lucky some fool will have exchanged a Honda phantom or a Kawasaki Boss with 40000-50000 kilometers on it.

Pull in the clutch & see how easy it is in comparision to their best Platinum. It is just as easy to pull when new. 2 fools born a minute must have originated from Platinum & Jrd. Pure shit

If your strapped for cash better to buy a 10 year old Honda Suzuki or Yamaha. at least they have been around for 40+ years & oddly enough you rarely need to use the warranty. As with Platinums you will most likely be renting a Japanese bike 1/2 the time while they are installing starters batteries clutch cables electrical components & engines, did i forget to mention all the other parts that just rot off the frame.

look at all the negative posts about the Platinum. It says it all Maybe 4 like em(due to the bikes being 2-3 months old) & the rest hate em.........WONDER WHY !!!! better to buy the bottom of the top than the top of the bottom! cause it can only go down hill from there! Pay once & ride or skimp on yourself(this is you you're talking about & don't you deserve the best you can get) & repurchace something that will last later.

Good luck & pleasant riding whatever you decide on. When its's dead on the side of the road if you happen to be in Pattaya I will help you if you decide on going the cheap charlie route A Kawasaki boss is only 20,000 baht more & a Honda Phantom is only 30,000 baht more.

Best part it isn't a wannabee motorcycle it is the real deal. AND NO DOWN TIME< The best warranty is one you never use!

Beardog

As I posted before I bought 3 platinums in the last few months and they have been great.105,000 bt for three bikes the same it would cost me for one of those phantoms.No complaints.As far as the cool towns for 20,000 it's a great bike we use it everyday and not a problem better then spending 50,000 on the wave 125.

As I posted before I bought 3 platinums in the last few months and they have been great.105,000 bt for three bikes the same it would cost me for one of those phantoms.No complaints.As far as the cool towns for 20,000 it's a great bike we use it everyday and not a problem better then spending 50,000 on the wave 125.

I only paid 26,000 on my new Honda wave with 3000 kilometers on it & last year paid 25,000 for my 125 wave with 3300 kilometers on it 2 bikes only problem 1 flat in 2 years.

No offense meant but you are the 1 of 4 that have had no problems!

Hi. Yes the bikes are made in China and the engines are copies of the honda xl engine. I have also been informed by a Thai that used to import them ( now he sells Honda,s ) that the Platinums actually have plastic cogs in the gearing?

This true?

I noted that the Platinum PX-175...weighs only 3kg less than my Suzuki 250-XC dirt bike. Awfully heavy for a 175cc! Okay I paid more for my bike...and it's was a used bike with nearly 25K-km...but I recently rode _8000_ trouble-free kilometers, of which maybe 2500km was off-road...

...from Pattaya->Cambo->northern Laos->Issan...and back to Pattaya.

I doubt a Platinum 'toy' dirt bikes would have made it out of Cambo before a major breakdown.

However, around town, the Platinum's may be a decent deal for basic transportation...and frequent visits to the repair shop :o

...<snip>..I bought the Platinum PX 175 from Bangkok showroom for 48000 baht and rode it 500km to Surin.

No mechanical problems so far. Some observations:

The engine has nice power and torque for 175cc. The speedo is wildly inaccurate.

The engine causes lots of vibrations at higher speed. The gearing feels too short for highway use.

Front brake is a weak 1-piston model, the last time I saw 1-piston disc brake was in my 1981 Honda CB 250 RS. The tires work poorly on paved roads; the feeling is vague all the time, on gravel they work well.

- Evasion [/b]

Edited by LukDod

Hi. Yes the bikes are made in China and the engines are copies of the honda xl engine. I have also been informed by a Thai that used to import them ( now he sells Honda,s ) that the Platinums actually have plastic cogs in the gearing?

This true?

Steve while I never seen the gears althogh I would believe it. after my neighbor blew his entire engine case to pieces in about 1300 kilometers we checked the wristpin that connects the rod to the piston we found it was milled .008 mm's less than the specs. .008 is about half of a gapped spark plug for a boat & about a 4th of a gapped plug in a car.I worked as a machinest for a while & to me .00001 mm's are exceptable in Autos -Trucks -Motorcycles -trains Or boats. they must provide there staff with all the cheap whisky for free. No one to test the runnout on the parts OH MY GOD . I hope they never have ideas of trying to build a jet turbine. It really does not take an Einstein to be a good Mechanic Machinist or a mechanical engineer , Just some one paying attention & having some pride in their product. I am glad The U.S. would never push this cheap garbage, not only would they be laughed out of town - they would be bankrupt before the 2nd month

I hope they brought a tube of JB WELD EARL......................make that a case !!! :D:o:D

Edited by Beardog

Mike with all this negative talk you must be in the motorbike buisness to know so much.What kind of bikes to you sell?
I was you are right., im now retired. i still ride, mainly off road in cambodia,..if any of the big 4 came out with a 200 trail bike over here id have 34 in a 20 foot container before you could say how many ? .awful roads, why, bewidering isnt it,i dont mean to sound so negative but that shatinum is really an old pigs ear :o

post-41326-1180715608_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

It is right across the street from Exite.

Maybe if you are really lucky some fool will have exchanged a Honda phantom or a Kawasaki Boss with 40000-50000 kilometers on it.

Pull in the clutch & see how easy it is in comparision to their best Platinum. It is just as easy to pull when new. 2 fools born a minute must have originated from Platinum & Jrd. Pure shit

If your strapped for cash better to buy a 10 year old Honda Suzuki or Yamaha. at least they have been around for 40+ years & oddly enough you rarely need to use the warranty. As with Platinums you will most likely be renting a Japanese bike 1/2 the time while they are installing starters batteries clutch cables electrical components & engines, did i forget to mention all the other parts that just rot off the frame.

look at all the negative posts about the Platinum. It says it all Maybe 4 like em(due to the bikes being 2-3 months old) & the rest hate em.........WONDER WHY !!!! better to buy the bottom of the top than the top of the bottom! cause it can only go down hill from there! Pay once & ride or skimp on yourself(this is you you're talking about & don't you deserve the best you can get) & repurchace something that will last later.

Good luck & pleasant riding whatever you decide on. When its's dead on the side of the road if you happen to be in Pattaya I will help you if you decide on going the cheap charlie route A Kawasaki boss is only 20,000 baht more & a Honda Phantom is only 30,000 baht more.

Best part it isn't a wannabee motorcycle it is the real deal. AND NO DOWN TIME< The best warranty is one you never use!

Beardog

Think bingo works there ? :o .I agree, &lt;deleted&gt;, But then ,we Have offered our friends advice about thai women also and they ignored us, no doubt the same will happen here ,.

• 7 months later...
hi i have a platinum monoco,250cc,chopper,i bought it nearly two years ago,never had any problems with it,now it has 5000km on the clock,i want to sell it,because im going to buy a car,i love the bike but it does,t get the use,im only staying in thailand 4 months of the year,so if you know any body intersted,im only looking for 35-4000bath,the bike is like new,some people say that they are not great bikes but as i said i never had any problems with it,and they are great lookiung bikes,looks a lot bigger than any 250cc.my email is [email protected]

They have a shop in Phuket, as well as one in BKK.

Website: www.platinummotor.net (well apparently nothing in there)

Address in BKK: 1643/5 New Petchburi Road Rajtaevee

New bikes going for pretty reasonable prices. Just wondering if anyone heard of them, or own one of those bikes.

Thanks for any information.

post-47360-1199969936_thumb.jpg

DAF is Dutch, not "Swedisch" (Van Doorne Automobiel Fabriek, after it's founders the Van Doorne brothers). Correct is that they invented the Variomatic.

We talk about small money!!! It's not worth to buy second hand motorbikes (small bikes i mean). All the hassles from the auctuions, paperwork, auctionfees, 7% VAT, waiting for the blue book, etc. Forget it! By the way Automatics are not automatics, like in the cars. The Italian Company Piaggio manufactered the same automatic System 30 years ago. They are not Automatic, they are "Variomatic" The Transmission works with a rubber belt.Very easy constructuin, nothing can go wrong. Swedisch Car Company DAF had the same technologie in their Cars, 30 years ago. I myself have a Platinum Motorbike and would buy it again. 2 months now, no troubles at all, daily use in Pattaya

• 1 year later...

i am after much mental Jer*ing off about what to get decided to buy a 175cc platinum px i will keep people informed (perhaps) as to wether it was a good or bad thing. i am buying it straight from the platinum dealers http://www.platinummotorsale.com/All%20Page/px/Px175.htm who have official distributors in or near most provinces.

From what i undertsand the pxseries had some problems in the 2006 and before series but was recalled and people refunded or given new for old (those that actually bothered or that bought their bike of a reputable dealer) from what i am reading here is that most of the negative talk is second hand or a friends experience where the positive comments seem to be from first hand owners. I am buying the main reason as was outlined by earlier posts that their is no competitor in the roadx/enduro market for an affordable price.

the price new is 54000thb (the site says 47,000 but that is without on roads and i will see what the final price will be (between 47 & 54k)i am paying 20,000 deposit and the rest on credit. it has 3 years OR 30000km warranty. People with these platinums should read their paperwork before they say they have 3 years warranty, it doesnt take that long to clock up 30,000kms. costs include all on road, reg and insurance etc. 54,000 is so cheap that who cares if it is on the trash heap in 2 years.

i am sure it will not be without some maintance issues however I am hoping it is rather minor.

(I have owned in Australia kawasaki KLR 250 & 600 and believe them to be completely disposable and high maintainance although good performers, the honda TT250 was perhaps the nicest enduro i have owned and i am not expecting the px175 to come close to it, however these models are out of my price range and difficult (for me anyhow) to access in Thailand). their site has some strange stuff, a good looking affordable mini van and a so called amphibious car... which i was unable to find on the link named 'amphibious car' lol http://www.platinummotorsale.com/Ehome.html

i am sure to let you know if it falls apart real quick.

chok dee!

i am after much mental Jer*ing off about what to get decided to buy a 175cc platinum px i will keep people informed (perhaps) as to wether it was a good or bad thing. i am buying it straight from the platinum dealers http://www.platinummotorsale.com/All%20Page/px/Px175.htm who have official distributors in or near most provinces.

From what i undertsand the pxseries had some problems in the 2006 and before series but was recalled and people refunded or given new for old (those that actually bothered or that bought their bike of a reputable dealer) from what i am reading here is that most of the negative talk is second hand or a friends experience where the positive comments seem to be from first hand owners. I am buying the main reason as was outlined by earlier posts that their is no competitor in the roadx/enduro market for an affordable price.

the price new is 54000thb (the site says 47,000 but that is without on roads and i will see what the final price will be (between 47 & 54k)i am paying 20,000 deposit and the rest on credit. it has 3 years OR 30000km warranty. People with these platinums should read their paperwork before they say they have 3 years warranty, it doesnt take that long to clock up 30,000kms. costs include all on road, reg and insurance etc. 54,000 is so cheap that who cares if it is on the trash heap in 2 years.

i am sure it will not be without some maintance issues however I am hoping it is rather minor.

(I have owned in Australia kawasaki KLR 250 & 600 and believe them to be completely disposable and high maintainance although good performers, the honda TT250 was perhaps the nicest enduro i have owned and i am not expecting the px175 to come close to it, however these models are out of my price range and difficult (for me anyhow) to access in Thailand). their site has some strange stuff, a good looking affordable mini van and a so called amphibious car... which i was unable to find on the link named 'amphibious car' lol http://www.platinummotorsale.com/Ehome.html

i am sure to let you know if it falls apart real quick.

chok dee!

Good luck and keep us updated. I just looked at their site and was a bit shocked over the pricetag on this one: http://www.platinummotorsale.com/Esport2.html & this one i found high too (considering the brand isn't well known ) http://www.platinummotorsale.com/Eshopper2.html

mbox

My buddy won a Towny in a raffle. His GF wanted no part of it, so I picked it up for 12-K. Had it about 4 months. It is slow, build quality not the best, but with careful use I think I will get my $$$ out of it. Copy of Honda Wave - poor copy at that - but for the bucks, &lt;deleted&gt;

• 1 year later...

I was just in the dealership in Bangkok looking at the 175 and 250 Platinum. Assembly was very poor (one incomplete) but on the show room floor and they would not startup the bikes????

I would think the issue of not wanting to runup a bike for a customer a "RED" flag?? Also would not supply green book, reg. and plates, but promised to mail all to my address in Mae Lao. What is it they say? Everything after a "but" is BS? After all the posts, I think I am back to the new Kawasaki 125 I was looking at. This is at a dealer in Chiang Rai and includes book and Reg. with bike. Also, I have been riding on my Canadian lic? Police have checked me, no problem, but am I legal??????

Thanks to all the posts guys

I actually spoke to that American who has the Platinum shop in Pattaya.

Stated that the engine was made by Honda and had a Honda warranty.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i was out of there like a shot!!

just talked with my neighbour who bought one recently, paid 45,000 baht + all the options came to 60,000 baht, has done 1000 km without problems, has a 150 cc engine.He also prefered phantom but money...

Speaking about phantom, i bought a studded saddle, studded saddle bags and chrome support from a shop in bangkok, all metal parts now very rusty, bad quality...

guess you need some good luck with cheap goods

rono

You can get things re-chromed and replace many things on bikes as well as paint jobs done fairly cheap in Thailand.:D