Platinum Motor (bikes)

LadyinRed

They have a shop in Phuket, as well as one in BKK.

Website: www.platinummotor.net (well apparently nothing in there)

Address in BKK: 1643/5 New Petchburi Road Rajtaevee

New bikes going for pretty reasonable prices. Just wondering if anyone heard of them, or own one of those bikes.

Thanks for any information.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New bikes going for pretty reasonable prices. Just wondering if anyone heard of them, or own one of those bikes.

My M.Bike riding days goes back to real bikes like Matchless, Triumph, BSA Norton and Ducati. I even raced flat track once, now you know how old I am.

I just bought Platinum 150cc 2 weks ago. I can give you my personal views on the machine since I have put 200 k. on the clock. Give me a call on my mobile 06 564 1626 as I a more into specs, performance, price price and other things that would take up lots of space on this note pad.

Chow.

Mr. D. J.

A shop selling these bikes opened in Sisaket but closed pretty quickly.

I saw also a Platinum bike which was owned by an immigration policeman in Phu Sing.

They are made in Thailand, chopper style with loads of chrome. Quality does not look that good and prices seem to be about the Bt100K region, depending on spec./model (assuming they are still in business).

I know three farang down here that have baught platinums. The basic mechanicals seem ok. However, the quality of the electrics, body etc. are very substandard. All of them have to make repeated trips to the dealer to get a multitude of things fixed or replaced after they have fallen off! They start at around 50,000 but I doubt you would get 20,000 after a year, making them an expensive proposition.

My M.Bike riding days goes back to real bikes like Matchless, Triumph, BSA Norton and Ducati. I even raced flat track once, now you know how old I am.

I just bought Platinum 150cc 2 weks ago. I can give you my personal views on the machine since I have put 200 k. on the clock. Give me a call on my mobile 06 564 1626 as I am more into specs, performance, price and other things like that.

********************************************************************************

Follow up info.

I’m kind of little disappointed in my 2-week-old Platinum Monaco 150 CC. I spent last weekend babysitting it. First I could not get the trip miter to reset to zero. I took it back to the dealer and they changed the entire odometer (took it off from one on display).

Within one block of riding away I discovered that the digital gear shift readout on the odometer did not light up. Having some ideas about things mechanical I decided to check out the wiring system and see if there was some unconnected wire. To do so I had to take off the plastic battery cover (a snap-on job.) However the rubber grummets were too tight around the plastic pegs/pins (the manufacturers should have drop a spot of grease on the pins) causing the pins to brake off in the holes of the grummets.

I spent the night delicately reconnecting the plastic pins (thanks to Elephant Glue). Next morning I took the machine for a spin and discovered that after turning off the engine and extracting the key the bike would not stop running. (Back to the dealer) Along with the ignition problem, the remote, which takes care of the alarm etc stopped functioning.

I’m not upset as I am of the belief you get what you pay for and as my daughter explained during my sleepless night attempting to resolve the problems, “Dad, what do you expect for 50,000 baht, a Rolls Royce?”

If you are good at fixing mechanical and electronic things, along with the patience of Jobe in the Bible, this bike would be good for you. On the mechanical side, it suits running around the village ––– 150 CC does not have the power/torque of a Honda of the same capacity, even though the engine and tranny of Platinum is 50% Honda. (Silently I’m saying, I should have bought a Honda. But it comes down to money).

It is a cheep bike in all respects and if you get one don’t ride it to China or you might be coming home by airplane minus your machine.

Stay sharp.

Mr. D. J.

The shop that opened in Phuket town quickly closed. Are they still in business?

just talked with my neighbour who bought one recently, paid 45,000 baht + all the options came to 60,000 baht, has done 1000 km without problems, has a 150 cc engine.He also prefered phantom but money...

Speaking about phantom, i bought a studded saddle, studded saddle bags and chrome support from a shop in bangkok, all metal parts now very rusty, bad quality...

guess you need some good luck with cheap goods

rono

Quite simply - they are cheap crap.

Spend the extra and buy a Honda if you want a little bike. Even a used Honda is a better buy, than a new Platinum.

Home Pro were giving them away a while ago with 100 points, which took about 200,000 of purchases - easy when building a house. I didn't even take one at this rate for the maid. Squandered the points on a sensible beer fridge and will buy a Honda.

Robert

I saw also a Platinum bike which was owned by an immigration policeman in Phu Sing.

I was in Kab Cheong immigration yesterday and there were two brand new Platinums outside, police prepared. Although they looked on the face very 'flashy' it appeared to be only skin deep.

I had bad expriences with a JRD, which has taught me a lesson: stick to the mainstream Japanese brands. Wondered why I did not get much support from wifes friends/family when I mentioned I was going to buy it. JRD was 10,000 cheaper than a Honda, but not worth the hassels afterwards. JRD needs a new piston ring and possibly the chamber skimming :o

Guy in my village has a Platinum; fuel tank looks like its going to rust away quickly along the seems of the welds.

• 4 months later...

They have just opened up in Pattaya. I know the American behind it (and I'll say no more).

They look like rip-offs of JRD's to me. Very similar models. I also had a 150cc JRD Chopper for a while but traded it in after many stupid problems with it.

Im wondering how these bikes compare to the honda phantom,I priced both and there was a 50,000 bt difference with all the extras.The platinum was 55000 and the honda 108,000.My mate has one and said it's worth the money.Anyone else have info.

I bought 2 Platinum PX 125 Enduro Motorbikes in Pattaya, from this American Guy. Both of them no proplem at all, excellent ride, not so much power, but enought for the City. Platinum are Chinese Bikes, not made in Thailand. I paid 44'000 Baht per bike and i think it is much better to buy a new platinum, than buying a 10 year old used Honda AX1 (simular) for the same price where you have to repair for another 30'000 Baht, because it was a ex rental bike. I think its the same with everything. You have to see the price. The Choppers are much plastic stuff, i'm agree, but they are so cheap! Today is everything plastic, Look at the new cars. A 30 year old Opel Rekord or Toyota Crown was everything solid steel, big strong steel bumpers with American Cars in the seventies. Today is everything Plastic! The todays "plastic car". They falling a part when you have the smallest Accident. But again: I think the Platinum is a god motorbike for the price, otherwise you have to spend more money for a Harley.

Thanks for your help I went to see the Platinums today in the carrefour show on pattaya klang the display was brillant,they sent me to the showroom on 3rd road and it looked like they were giving something away.I saw seven bikes being delivered in 20 minutes.I will go back for a test ride when there not so busy.Any feed back on the choppers?

I bought 2 Platinum PX 125 Enduro Motorbikes in Pattaya, from this American Guy. Both of them no proplem at all, excellent ride, not so much power, but enought for the City. Platinum are Chinese Bikes, not made in Thailand. I paid 44'000 Baht per bike and i think it is much better to buy a new platinum, than buying a 10 year old used Honda AX1 (simular) for the same price where you have to repair for another 30'000 Baht, because it was a ex rental bike. I think its the same with everything. You have to see the price. The Choppers are much plastic stuff, i'm agree, but they are so cheap! Today is everything plastic, Look at the new cars. A 30 year old Opel Rekord or Toyota Crown was everything solid steel, big strong steel bumpers with American Cars in the seventies. Today is everything Plastic! The todays "plastic car". They falling a part when you have the smallest Accident. But again: I think the Platinum is a god motorbike for the price, otherwise you have to spend more money for a Harley.

I don't know for sure where the bikes are made, but one of the salesman had told me that the engines come from Malaysia. The finish on the engines is really rough and crude, like a cheap Chinese metal handtool such as an adjustable wrench. There is also no name or manufacturers plate on the engines which make them very suspect as to where in the hel_l they come from.

Pattaya Dave

The bikes from malaysia are the JRD.The saleslady told me these come from taiwan,most of the parts looked like the honda.I see many around and everyone seems happy with them.I would never buy the JRD there junk.Tommorow I will purchase a new Platinum and let you know how they are.

I bought a platinum 150-8 model yesterday after going back and fouth from the honda shop,I figured if I spend 126,000 on the honda all done up after 1 year I can sell it for about 60,000.The platinum is 55000 in one year it's worth at least 35,000 The way I looked at it,It will cost me about 1800 a month.The good part is the bike runs very good they modified the exhaust for me it sounds great.I will let you know in time how it holds up.

Give it more time than one week. That is not enough time for any problems to come up. On the subject of automatics, I am well aware that the sales of Nuevos, Mios, Clicks and the like have been booming. I am no fan of the automatic bikes because of the transmission. Many others are quite happy with them.

Because of this transmission, an it is not the most cmmon form of transmission on the roads, or an old tested technology, I would not be over trusting of a new company providing this transmission.

Just ride the bike that you have for a while before you buy her an automatic from this company.

One other option is to go to the Aurctions. I do not know where you live, but auctions are common in Thailand ans you can get a one year old bike for about 25% off of used prices. I have bought a couple of bikes that way, and now my friends do the same.

I bought a one year old Wave 125i for 18,000 baht and a 10 month old white Mio with disc brakes for 20,000 baht.

Could you please elaborate on Auctions ! i've been looking for a bike to go from Bkk to Cambodia(saves on paperwork & few potholes compared 2 car) . i live in east Bkk,near Onnut. Also what sort of bikes endup in auctions ?! is it reposesed/or after accident ?!dunno much abt. bikes,more into cars honestly, but would appreciate some info a lot.

I live in rayong and went to an auction in pattaya last year and bought a nouvo with 800km.I paid 35000bt for it,when I picked it up the battery was missing inside no problem.Then after i got it running i drove it it was trailing sideways,The shop said the main frame was bent.11,000bt later.I picked it up from the shop and drove on the main road and had a bad vibration the 2 mags where slightly bent 750bt more .All and All after paying the fee's ,vat,changing name and repairs I could of bought a brand new one with a warranty for the same 50,000bt.Any automatic bike in perfect condition at the auctions brings almost as much as a second hand one on the market within a few thousand bt.The difference is you can drive the private sellers bike.If you want a shift bike without electric start then you get a good deal.

We talk about small money!!! It's not worth to buy second hand motorbikes (small bikes i mean). All the hassles from the auctuions, paperwork, auctionfees, 7% VAT, waiting for the blue book, etc. Forget it! By the way Automatics are not automatics, like in the cars. The Italian Company Piaggio manufactered the same automatic System 30 years ago. They are not Automatic, they are "Variomatic" The Transmission works with a rubber belt.Very easy constructuin, nothing can go wrong. Swedisch Car Company DAF had the same technologie in their Cars, 30 years ago. I myself have a Platinum Motorbike and would buy it again. 2 months now, no troubles at all, daily use in Pattaya

they are cr-p if you want my opinion they come from china big heavy bike but lacks performance and hard to get spares get yourself a honda phantom okay bike made in thailand very reliable or if your looking for a 400 cc honda steed good luck in your search

Honda Steets are much overpriced for what they are. In Europe nobosdy would drive a 400 Steed. They are much over 100'000 Baht. For this amount of money i would never buy a Steed, than is better you find a Honda Magnum or NV 750 cc, or even a Yamaha Virago 750 cc. They are usally 60'000- 80'000 Baht for a good one, and of corse so you have a "Real Chopper"

I bought a platinum 150-8 model yesterday after going back and fouth from the honda shop,I figured if I spend 126,000 on the honda all done up after 1 year I can sell it for about 60,000.The platinum is 55000 in one year it's worth at least 35,000 The way I looked at it,It will cost me about 1800 a month.The good part is the bike runs very good they modified the exhaust for me it sounds great.I will let you know in time how it holds up.

Hi bingo2, it's been a month since your purchase. Any comments on your platinum 150-8?

I went to a dealer of Platinum chopper 3 days ago, (in Udon Thani) and they have sold all their bikes. New stocks should be arriving on the March 15 from Bkk. I am planning to get me a Monacco 250 dj which cost 85,000 bht. Have about a week to decide. Would appreciate your opinion and others as well. Chow!

Thanks for your help I went to see the Platinums today in the carrefour show on pattaya klang the display was brillant,they sent me to the showroom on 3rd road and it looked like they were giving something away.I saw seven bikes being delivered in 20 minutes.I will go back for a test ride when there not so busy.Any feed back on the choppers?

Hello bingo2 2007 02 03 1119109

I originally planned to buy a S/H Honda Phantom. Primarily for 1000k trips .Ideally one 'Fully Loaded'. To that end I rented one for 2 days. I decided that the Phantom was not for me. Too low and difficult around corners. So I tested a Platinum Monaco 150.I liked it immediately.Comfortable ,good seating position and easy to handle.

I was concious of the fact that when you buy a bike from a Tawain Company(assembled in Bangkok)the BIG picture (ie the general design and specification) would be highly satisfactory. The SMALL picture (ie the detail of both design and assembly) however is likely to be a challenge.The Japs typically get both right.

However ,persuaded by the BIG picture (and the very low price) I purchased a Monaco 250DJ.

I list the challenges after 6 weeks ownership.

1) Vibration. The engine mountings were simply too light duty. All owners were complaining, I guess,so Platinum(3rd Rd Pattaya) organised a re-call back to Bangkok for a up- grade to a stiffer design .Vibration is now not an issue

2) Gearing.This was simply too low. So I found a sprocket manufacturer in Bangkok. They supplied me with 30T to replace the existing 35T rear sprocket.Gear ratios are now ideal.Platinum(Bangkok) finance the Pattaya workshop and 3 mechanics adjacent to the dealer. So labour is for free.

3)Battery.Nothing wrong with the battery supplied-except it was from a Monaco 150 DJ . This was swapped

4) Starter Motor failure. This occurred conveniently in No - Mans Land between Thailand and Cambodia.

Enthusiastic and Baht hungry Khymers were happy to bump me off .Drove the bike into Koh Kong.Luckily the motor bike repair service in Koh Kong has a 'Can Do 'attitude.The stator(which is made from carbon)must have been undersized. This near interference fit had generated carbon dust.This dust resulted in rotor seizure. The motor when stripped was then cleaned (using petrol drained from my tank) and now works perfectly. I suspect it will be good forever now.

Only time will tell if the 'Small ' picture presents more challenges.

The 'Big ' picture has lived up to expectations. The bike is great to drive.

Delight 13 03 2007