Copy Soundtrack Only From Karaoke Cd?

Beachcomber

Hi

Is it possible to copy only the soundtrack from Karaoke CD’s?

I want to copy the Karaoke songs without the video onto one of those small MP3 players but when I had a look at the CD could only find the video.

Are there some hidden files that I should look for?

Can it be done?

Thanks. :o

For normal movie discs (including VCDs) the sound is multiplexed (mixed) into the video file. If you want only the sound (which is usually in a MP3-like format) you have to extract it from the movie file (usually in the mpegav directory on a VCD).

To do this, you need a program that does de-multiplexing. One program that does this and is free is tmpgenc (search the net for it). The option is in the file->mpeg tools dialog.

Hi I've had to do this more often than I'd like to admit.

Gotta start checking CD's before I buy em. :o

I tried loads of different converters and had all sorts of problems (just lucky I guess)

Anyway finally come across a bit of software called Audio Converter

from River Past. It's not free unfortunately, :D

but its a very versatile bit of software and will convert pretty much anything.

Very easy to use just click add file, go in to the CD drive and you should have

4 folders listed. Go in to the one called MPEGAV and thats where you'll find all the songs. Add the ones you want then at the bottom of the page click on format and you'll probably want to save em as mp3's. Once thats done next line down tell it where you wanna save the files then just hit 'Convert'.

If its a one off you're doing its not really worth it but I found other uses for it too eg. wma's to mp3.

If you dont get on with firefoxx's suggestion give it a go, there's a trial version and the files 1.9meg so not overly huge.

Hope this helps

BYE

Hmm, I can't find the option to save an mp3 file in virtualdub. Only save as AVI (non-demux'ed) or wav (not an MP3 file). Am I missing something here?

Of course, you *could* use the wav file, but since it's uncompressed, it would be huge.

Edited by Firefoxx

Then I say do it in one step: use tmpgenc.

Am I missing something here, how do I tell TMPGenc to produce an mp3 audio file??

I can see how to select audio only, but I've only got MPEG-1 encoding options :o

Cheers.

Actually what most people refer to as MP3 or MPEG3 is really MPEG(-1) Audio Layer 3.

But the audio in VCDs are usually encoded with MPEG Audio Layer 2 (MP2) which is what tmpgenc would extract (correct me if I'm wrong here) and you'd still have to convert it to MP3

/Kim

Then I say do it in one step: use tmpgenc.

Am I missing something here, how do I tell TMPGenc to produce an mp3 audio file??

I can see how to select audio only, but I've only got MPEG-1 encoding options :o

Cheers.

As I stated in my first reply:

"The option is in the file->mpeg tools dialog."

As for the mp2 stream:

Rename the mp2 file to mp3. Voila. That wasn't hard, was it?

The MP2 file *is* mpeg audio layer III. Most mpeg demuxer's will use this file naming convention: the video stream is .mpv, and the audio stream is .mp2 (not .mp3). Essentially, they're the same.

Edited by Firefoxx

i decided to try copying audio only from VCDs. I downloaded TMPGenc and has followed the advice in earlier postings right down to burning a CD to play on my car player which will play only .mp3 format files. Still shows as NO DATA DISC which means they have not copied into .mp3.

My wife's Thai VCDs show encoding as .mpeg1.

I have used TMPGenc/file/mpeg tools/demultiplexing but still can't convert the audio stream. What am I doing wrong?

Actually what most people refer to as MP3 or MPEG3 is really MPEG(-1) Audio Layer 3.

But the audio in VCDs are usually encoded with MPEG Audio Layer 2 (MP2) which is what tmpgenc would extract (correct me if I'm wrong here) and you'd still have to convert it to MP3

/Kim

OK folks, step by step:

1. Go into tmpgenc

2. Go to the menu, File, mpeg tools

3. Choose "Simple de-multiplex"

4. Choose the input file

5. The output names will be automatically set. Delete the "video output" filename since you don't want it. Change the "audio output" extension from ".mp2" to ".mp3" (or you can do it later, with explorer)

6. Press "run"

Voila, you have an MP3 file.

Thanks Firefox. The step-by-step instructions work for me!

Oh Oh I spoke to soon!

Following Firefox's step-by-step using a VCD I get (example)

Input: E:\MPEGAV\AVSEQ01.dat

Audio output: E:\MPEGAV\AVSEQ01.mp2

When I click RUN a TPMGenc window pops up 'Could not create....'

This happens whether the video output is deleted or not. Changing .mp2 to .mp3 still results in the same window.

Over to the experts!

Notice that you are trying to create an output on a CD-ROM. As in, you're trying to make the audio file in the same CD as the source file.

Change the output directory.

Rather, change the output drive to your harddisk.

Edited by Firefoxx

Notice that you are trying to create an output on a CD-ROM.  As in, you're trying to make the audio file in the same CD as the source file.

Change the output directory.

Rather, change the output drive to your harddisk.

Thanks firefoxx,

I was working with TPMGenc in different modes/options for a couple of hours yesterday and saving other demodulated data to the hard drive. When I followed your step-by-step instructions for simple demodulation it defaults the output drive to the input drive, which I failed to notice even when I typed out the example!!! There’s none so blind as the blind!

Anyway, fixed now. I have successfully copied the audio only to HD and renamed the files from what were indicated as .mp2 to .mp3 and then burned then to a CD-R. The CD-r plays OK in Windows Media Player on the PC. Now, when I put the disc in my MP3 car player, it recognises it as a data disc and attempts to play track 1 for about 1 second then jumps to track 2 for one second then to track 3 and so on. There is no audio at all.

Are there other data on the source disc that I should be copying also which would tell the player what to do?

How about you Beachcomber. Any luck with your attempts.

By the way, the copied audio is poor quality from what I can hear on my earphones when played in Windows Media player so it may all be a waste of time anyway. The vocal on the tracks is dominated by the instrumental backing so some kind of equalisation is required.

Edited by PETERTHEEATER

The problem may lie with your car mp3 player.. not all players are made the same. I was able to do this and copy to a pocket MP3 player, and it played fine. As for audio quality, the stream is copied directly and without modification from the VCD, so if the VCD had bad audio, that's what you will get.

The problem may lie with your car mp3 player.. not all players are made the same.  I was able to do this and copy to a pocket MP3 player, and it played fine.  As for audio quality, the stream is copied directly and without modification from the VCD, so if the VCD had bad audio, that's what you will get.

Thanks Firefoxx, I will try another VCD. Most of the source discs are Thai vocalists and are purchased on the local market. The audio quaility is OK on video. If I can locate my portable.mp3 player (somewhere in personal; effects boxes yet to be opened) I will try it on that.