100 Policemen To Chase Prostitutes In Bangkok

george

SANAM LUANG: Prostitution tackle

BANGKOK: -- Phra Nakhon District Office’s director, Noppadol Savikamin, is pushing to declare Sanam Luang off limits between 11pm and 5am every day.

Noppadol said yesterday that he hoped the plan could be implemented as early as Thursday.

The idea is to stop prostitutes from plying their trade and to prevent derelicts from sleeping and littering on Sanam Luang.

“We plan to have more than 100 police patrol the area during the off-limits hours,” Noppodol said.

He said Khunying Nathanon Thavisin, Bangkok’s city clerk, had already approved the plan, which will be put before executives at Bangkok Metropolitan Administration for further discussion today.

--The Nation 2005-08-30

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- Phra Nakhon District Office’s director, Noppadol Savikamin, is pushing to declare Sanam Luang off limits between 11pm and 5am every day.

Just Where is this area?

Could understand it if it was Nana or Cowboy, unless they are hitting the Thai soapy massage parlors!

Just Where is this area?

Could understand it if it was Nana or Cowboy, unless they are hitting the Thai soapy massage parlors!

Sanam Luang is the location adjacent to the Grand Palace, the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, etc. It is used for all big and as well sacred occasions. Prostitution activities thre are deemed inappropriate, but the BMA seems to have a problem keeping it down due to lack of resources. With the last wave of outcry, they are making another attempt to make the location respectable day and night - a rather tall order, really.....

When's the race ?

My bet is on the girls !  :P

They get far more exercise than the cops.  B)

Sanam Luang:

The large oval field in front of the Grand Palace is in effect the nation's front yard. Commonly called Sanam Luang, its also called Phra Men Ground.

Simple map of the area:

http://thailandforvisitors.com/central/ban...atanakosin.html

post-16011-1125346809_thumb.jpg

When's the race ?

My bet is on the girls !  :D

They get far more exercise than the cops.  :o

Yeah, no doubt, especially considering the average age of the chicks, er uh, grannies in Sanam Luang. What a joke that they'd even crack down on this area! I mean, when people from around the world think of Bangkok prostitution, Sanam Luang is definitely the first place everybody mentions. Yeah, sure.

I didn't even know it was a site for prostitution until my Thai GF pointed it out to me. Whoa, talk about scary! All of the old has-beens linger around here waiting for Thai Johns. I've only sat and watched a few times, but I've never seen a farang go looking here. Seems stupid to enforce anti-prostitution measures here, a tourist would never even notice the all Thai transactions.

My girlfriend told me that some of these chicks will turn a trick for as little as a cigarette. Judging by the age and looks of some of these broads, I wouldn't be surprised. Some people think they're freaks if they get it on with a ladyboy. Go try Sanam Luang, that be some freaky sh*t.

Personally, I'm glad to see them cracking down on this prostitution fad, so that they can put a stop to it before it becomes commonplace!  :o

GR

:D:D

Seriously though, I think their hearts in the right place, the area around the Palace and Temples should be devoid of vice and have some modicum of respect. :D

Personally, I'm glad to see them cracking down on this prostitution fad, so that they can put a stop to it before it becomes commonplace!  :o

GR

Seriously though, I think their hearts in the right place, the area around the Palace and Temples should be devoid of vice and have some modicum of respect. :D

I truly do agree with that, as strongly as I agree that it should be legalized - not just in Thailand, but in every country. My sarcasm jabbed at the obvious fact that the "oldest profession" always has, and always will be with us, as long as human nature remains remotely similar to what it has been for the last million or so years.

Why, then, should it not be legalized, thereby allowing for, in addition the location controls, strong health codes, protection for the providers, and some reasonable level of taxation on the properly reported earnings to pay for the enforcement of the protection of providers and clients alike? There would also be the significant tangendetal benefit of denying a major source of funds to criminals engaged in acts that have real victims!

(Excuse me while I carefully climb down from this soapbox before I hurt myself.)

GR

I am surprised nobody mentioned this....

In the Thaivisa.com newsletter that I received that mentioned this thread, right above the subject line was this ad:

Need a hotel room in Thailand?

We have lowest rates at all destinations:

http://hotels.thai.........

Just thought it was ironic, that's all!

:o  :D  :D

So is George's English grammar sometimes. :D

"100 policemen to crackdown prostitutes in Bangkok"

What's missing teacher? :D

My sarcasm jabbed at the obvious fact that the "oldest profession" always has, and always will be with us, as long as human nature remains remotely similar to what it has been for the last million or so years.

Actually it has been legalized thorughout every nation in the world. It has been named marriage to protect the innocent!

The difficulty (or ineffectiveness) of "crackdowns" is that they are so short lived. Maybe this one will start on Thursday, finish on Friday and Saturday everything will be back to normal.

No where has there been much luck stopping prostitution--even where it is legal, "street-walkers" usually aren't tolerated.

This is a public area and as long as people are there, problems will exist, including pick-pockets, hookers etc.

No problem with the police trying to keep it safe.

Somewhere in Bangkok there are over 100 brown shirts that are leaping and dancing with joy over the prospect of yet another source to line their pockets. :o No to mention virtually an unlimited source of free lays whilst they 'clean up the area' :D

Now let me see :o.... 100 of Bangkok's finest patrolling from 23.00 to 05.00 works out at 600 man hours. Less of course time out to get those gratuitous hand outs from the ones about to be nicked. Could be put to better use elsewhere!

This area has been associated with "ladies of the night" for decades. Why destroy a national icon? :D

Joking aside, yes, it's a sensitive area due to the proximity ot the temples and palace. Why not just redirect them to Suphan Kwai to join the other thousands working there :D

GR

I truly do agree with that, as strongly as I agree that it should be legalized - not just in Thailand, but in every country. My sarcasm jabbed at the obvious fact that the "oldest profession" always has, and always will be with us, as long as human nature remains remotely similar to what it has been for the last million or so years.

Why, then, should it not be legalized, thereby allowing for, in addition the location controls, strong health codes, protection for the providers, and some reasonable level of taxation on the properly reported earnings to pay for the enforcement of the protection of providers and clients alike? There would also be the significant tangendetal benefit of denying a major source of funds to criminals engaged in acts that have real victims!

(Excuse me while I carefully climb down from this soapbox before I hurt myself.)

GR

Good post Pat