Second Hand Shops

urmy

Hi

I am looking for a sofa and a bed that is cheap. I was just going to look at the sales boards in the supermarkets. I am sure there are some second hand shops around but I don’t know where. I know about the shop’s behind big c anyone know the prices there.

Cheers

Hi, I believe there is a second hand shop up on Sukhumvit,,, not sure exactly where, but if I remember correctly I think its in the area of the Siam Country Club Exit,,,I have no idea on prices,,,, but going by cash convertors prices for other items, it looks as though theres not much bargains to be had on second hand items.

check and post on TV classifieds

do you have a friend in bbk who can haul for you

there are steals there when farang move out

i heard there are 2nd hand shops on third rd north of klang

but i dont know if they have furniture

electronics and smaller ti believe

can someone verify?

There are no bargains either in second hand shops or auctions,most times they are more than the new product. The auctions set a reserve price that amounts to unsellable,the same thing week after week trying to sell,its pathetic.

At least with a second hand shop you can try bargaining them down ,but no certainty

I have never seen a sofa in a second hand shop, mostly electronics, etc. Try bahtsold.com, the classified section of Thai Visa, and the adds in pattayamail.com. Those are the best sources for used furniture, but it is still very "hit or miss". The prices at the open air shop behind Big C are pretty good, and it depends what you want. A cheap vinyl sofa (2 seater) can be had, I think, for under B3,000. I have seen similar prices at Index, and there is a new shop on Sukumvit about 1 km before P Nua going north that has been advertising New Year specials. Worth a look in there too. All the shops will deliver, which is a real plus over buying second hand.

Hi, I believe there is a second hand shop up on Sukhumvit,,, not sure exactly where, but if I remember correctly I think its in the area of the Siam Country Club Exit,,,I have no idea on prices,,,, but going by cash convertors prices for other items, it looks as though theres not much bargains to be had on second hand items.

We bought a 3 piece suite there very reasonably priced ,a farang going home had sold it to them it was almost new ,they even purchased our old suite,good service.

We bought a 3 piece suite there very reasonably priced ,a farang going home had sold it to them it was almost new ,they even purchased our old suite,good service.

thank's alot it's for all the information

everyone

There are no bargains either in second hand shops or auctions,most times they are more than the new product. The auctions set a reserve price that amounts to unsellable,the same thing week after week trying to sell,its pathetic.

At least with a second hand shop you can try bargaining them down ,but no certainty

at auctions, it is the seller that sets the reserve price on his item, not the auction house

as the auction house charges a commission on the sale of the item then its in their interest to advise the seller of a reasonable price so they can earn that commission

if the seller decides to set a high price that's unrealistic then they are wasting the time of the auction house and the item will not sell and no one earns any money

if the auction house did as you suggest then nothing would sell and they would earn nothing

the auction house wuld not earn anything in commissions and would subsequently close

as Collingbournes Auction has been around for a couple of years now, one must assume that they are earning from the auctions and things actually do sell with a reserve or not

hence you must be wrong in your assumption

the auction house is simply the host to sell items they are not the seller

if you asked John i am sure if he would say he would prefer to sell everything without a reserve and have fresh auction items every week

i am sure he gets no pleasure out of trying to sell an unrealistically priced item week after week after week

i might even venture to say that its the sellers who try to attach an unrealistic high reserve to an item that are pathetic as you say and maybe also those that raise criticism against an auction house without getting the actual facts............

at auctions, it is the seller that sets the reserve price on his item, not the auction house

as the auction house charges a commission on the sale of the item then its in their interest to advise the seller of a reasonable price so they can earn that commission

if the seller decides to set a high price that's unrealistic then they are wasting the time of the auction house and the item will not sell and no one earns any money

if the auction house did as you suggest then nothing would sell and they would earn nothing

the auction house wuld not earn anything in commissions and would subsequently close

as Collingbournes Auction has been around for a couple of years now, one must assume that they are earning from the auctions and things actually do sell with a reserve or not

if you asked John i am sure if he would say he would prefer to sell everything without a reserve and have fresh auction items every week

i am sure he gets no pleasure out of trying to sell an unrealistically priced item week after week after week

i might even venture to say that its the sellers who try to attach an unrealistic high reserve to an item that are pathetic as you say and maybe also those that raise criticism against an auction house without getting the actual facts............

I used to attend the said auction house on a regular basis a while ago,but it's the repetitive same item up for sale week in ,week out gets nauseating.

A new concept would be to offer at the start of the auction fresh items introduced prior to the auction of that particular week,instead of waiting for hours on end while ploughing through items that have been repeatedly attempted at being flogged for weeks before. The Bahtsold ,or local publications would be my preferred method if I was on the look out for items to buy.

There's one just before the lights at Phoenix Golf Course Rd. also.

Can you be more specific about the one by Siam CC Rd.? before or after the turn?

I would give the auction a definite miss. Most of the antiques are replicas & the other stuff is garbage that people don't want. The beds were going for 90% of the new price. You cannot sit on the chairs to check out for comfort & the electronics have zero guarantee. A great spot to dump off your dead electronics! The owner is very nice but comparing to other auctions I have gone to in The states it sucks. Best deals on TV for beds.

I used to attend the said auction house on a regular basis a while ago,but it's the repetitive same item up for sale week in ,week out gets nauseating.

A new concept would be to offer at the start of the auction fresh items introduced prior to the auction of that particular week,instead of waiting for hours on end while ploughing through items that have been repeatedly attempted at being flogged for weeks before. The Bahtsold ,or local publications would be my preferred method if I was on the look out for items to buy.

no apology then for being wrong?

sellers set reserves not the auction house

items are offered for 3 weeks only

if it does not sell its taken out of the auction

if it does not sell then blame the SELLER not the auction

its the SELLER that sets unrealistic reserves NOT the auction

if you do not want to wait to bid then enter a bid with one of the porters to bid on your behalf or have john enter your final bid in the book pre auction

then you do not have to wait to bid for a newly listed or re-listed item

if its been through the auction once already and failed to sell, you can visit the sales room on an non auction day and ask if you can know the reserve of the item you are interested in

then you can negotiate for an out of auction sale with the buyer based on what he wants for it

the staff will be happy to ring them with your best offer if its below the reserve

i have bought many items this way

John wants to make a sale, he wants his commission for his work, ask for his help

as to Beardog identifying that its a dumping ground for other peoples unwanted items, that is true

that's the basis of most auctions of this type and its even part of the auctions advertising mantra

its not Christies, you won't find any Van Gogh in there, maybe the odd thai painted repro

as to sitting in the chairs the signs are there to stop buyers sitting in them on auction day whilst the auction is on

they are not there to stop genuinely interested parties trying them out prior to auction day

you want to go monday through thursday to have a test sit then go ahead

you want to try the electronics then ask to plug them in on a non auction day when the staff have time to deal with you

its a good, honest auction house, with a professional often amusing auctioneer

its great fun and occasionally a bargain can be had

it reminds me of a mid week market town traders auction in the north of England

it only need flat caps, goretex coats and jack russells to make the image complete

and no, i am not related to the owner or to the business, as in most things in my life, i treat as i find.........

if you do not want to wait to bid then enter a bid with one of the porters to bid on your behalf or have john enter your final bid in the book pre auction

if its been through the auction once already and failed to sell, you can visit the sales room on an non auction day and ask if you can know the reserve of the item you are interested in

then you can negotiate for an out of auction sale with the buyer based on what he wants for it

the staff will be happy to ring them with your best offer if its below the reserve

John wants to make a sale, he wants his commission for his work, ask for his help

as to Beardog identifying that its a dumping ground for other peoples unwanted items, that is true

that's the basis of most auctions of this type and its even part of the auctions advertising mantra

its not Christies, you won't find any Van Gogh in there, maybe the odd thai painted repro

as to sitting in the chairs the signs are there to stop buyers sitting in them on auction day whilst the auction is on

they are not there to stop genuinely interested parties trying them out prior to auction day

you want to try the electronics then ask to plug them in on a non auction day when the staff have time to deal with you

it only need flat caps, goretex coats and jack russells to make the image complete

and no, i am not related to the owner or to the business, as in most things in my life, i treat as i find.........

A very accurate description of how it works there Timekeeper, although there is always those that "think" they know better !

A very accurate description of how it works there Timekeeper, although there is always those that "think" they know better !

What's this they "think " they know better?. One thing you perhaps forgot to mention is the free beer,or is that off the menu now after one o'clock,gives the audience a motive to hang back,but even for the balloon chasers it must be an ordeal

It is the cafe part that must generate some or the majority of the profit,Christ the times gone by I have stood there for an hour or two and hardly anything moves,perhaps a couple of small change items.

I have to agree with one of the other contributers the majority of the stuff is way over priced, by way of reserved pricing,perhaps not the fault of the owner, but in his estimation why take the stuff on at all,if there is no realistic chance of a sale being achieved.

If it is a three week offering (seems longer to me ) that allows the reserved price to drop after the initial weeks 1 and 2,why not do it in one go? ie just lower the price acceptable price to whoever may have an interest at the outset. Suppose after week 3 it can be taken out and re-introduced a week or two later for the same merry-go -round to be performed again

These auctions are a shadow of what is held in the UK / USA,perhaps should not compare,but personally I gave up long ago at attending them. One more thing on the blind bidding I would rather know who I was bidding against.

What's this they "think " they know better?. One thing you perhaps forgot to mention is the free beer,or is that off the menu now after one o'clock,gives the audience a motive to hang back,but even for the balloon chasers it must be an ordeal

It is the cafe part that must generate some or the majority of the profit,Christ the times gone by I have stood there for an hour or two and hardly anything moves,perhaps a couple of small change items.

I have to agree with one of the other contributers the majority of the stuff is way over priced, by way of reserved pricing,perhaps not the fault of the owner, but in his estimation why take the stuff on at all,if there is no realistic chance of a sale being achieved.

If it is a three week offering (seems longer to me ) that allows the reserved price to drop after the initial weeks 1 and 2,why not do it in one go? ie just lower the price acceptable price to whoever may have an interest at the outset. Suppose after week 3 it can be taken out and re-introduced a week or two later for the same merry-go -round to be performed again

These auctions are a shadow of what is held in the UK / USA,perhaps should not compare,but personally I gave up long ago at attending them. One more thing on the blind bidding I would rather know who I was bidding against.

again no response from you that forms anything like an apology for getting it completely wrong

just for luck i will say it again: sellers set reserves not auction houses

even having it explained to you in detail you still fail to comprehend the process

its the owner of the items concern as to whether he sells it or not

he is told by the auction of the best bid received if he chooses not to accept it then its up to him NOT the auction house

he may feel he will get a better bid at a subsequent auction with different buyers present

he may be right, he may be wrong, however it is still his goods and his prerogative wether he decides to sell or not

despite you feeling its way too much for you to pay and you think you can buy cheaper somewhere else and the price of the asked article outrages you and the seller annoys you by asking too much in his reserve

it is not your decision to make, nor for the final time is it the auction houses decision

look around at your fellow expats, the guilty party is likely in the room whilst bidding is taking place

why not ask John who he is and tell him what a pratt he is for asking to much and setting a high reserve.

maybe the seller will bow to your superior knowledge and let you have it cheaper............or not

as to free beer, never had one, never been offered, would decline if i was offered so its not much incentive to keep me there beyond my normal time

as to 3 strikes and you are out, that's the rules even if it ''seems longer'' to you

my doctor said stop drinking, smoking and screwing women and you will live longer

i am not sure that's true but its certainly seems longer.........

all in all you aren't having a good week so far are you?

1 you have spread worrying rumors about distemper epidemics that aren't actually happening according to the Government vet you recommended we should talk to

who is actually sited off Soi Bukhao AS WELL as the fire station entrance off 3rd road.

its closer in fact to Soi Bukhao so your geographic directions need a little help too

my own vet said that distemper is a constant all year round threat in Pattaya and the current threat is no worse or better than at any other time of the year

2 you say that auction houses set reserves on sellers items and they DO NOT, sellers set their own reserves with little or no guidance from the host

3 then you made recommendations to a distressed and concerned dog owner about re-homing a mother and puppy, presumably at Mabrachan Lake that resulted in you upsetting the lady even more and you spitting out your dummy

seems to me that maybe forums where people try to help each other get by in a foreign land aren't for you.........

Oh Dear ! around the block we go,where to start?just where to start? I find it hard here to comprehend your ramblings

I see there must be an interest in the auction house you so vehemenly defend,myself I could not give one jot for the place except pass comment. So John by your own admission is the boss ,but has no influence as to the sale items or pricing of items flowing through his establishment,just advice,never have I quiered that point,never suggested the owner sets the price either, so no apology needed eh! Small wonder then that attendances are down dramatically from previous times,was almost spot a punter a couple of weeks ago,thought I'd come on the wrong day actually,but no it was a Saturday at 11 o'clock.

If I remember from times past the subject of this auction house cropping up you were vehemetly defending it there too with another contributor who made adverse comment,there just would not be an interest here would there in this business? I thought it odd at the time,but did not pass comment then.

I have bought a few items there in times past,good job the trades description act does not extend to Thailand,one item I bid on and won was an item described by John as brand new in the box,my arse, got it home,looked at the serial number and purchase date it was 5 years old and knackered,still I let it go,just makes an individual more suspicious when dealing in circumstances like this.

,I would not have thought bidding for a particular item was a paramount concern one particular week or next,none seem to be forthcoming anyway,but if that is how a business is run ,so be it.Not one bit do I think the owner is a prat, it is his business,but he is not doing himself any favours by constantly putting items up for sale that invaribly never sell. Personally on my last visit I was a bit gob smacked just how low value most of the stock appeared,especially in the back room,I would have thought a rubbish tip would have been the best place for the junk

Not one bit does it outrage me,not interested,just passing comment,it's a debating site I'm debating,if adverse comment is unwelcome,tough,but I say this,it was months ago I attended and was advised to browse the other auction house that does business on a Sunday,because of more favourable pricing, and that was by guys who lived their lives at the Saturday auction.As you say occasionally a bargain can be had, I recall an incident last year, there unusually was no reserve on an item (the seller must have made a mistake) Johns attempts to talk it up were hilarious,think he took a 5 minute recess to give it more time, see if any more punters came forth,none did,think it broke his heart to let it go so cheaply,never seen that repeated,but do not attend now,so no more knowledge

In all I contend I am having an excellent week,but I do think your doctor should give you more of a check up,perhaps a quiet room now and again, and if I were you I would avoid your present doctors advice and start smoking,drinking

So I have to comment on other threads that are now open,not that it involves auctioneering. Sorry but it is distemper season,cold nights always herald distemper, hot nights do not,the govt vet was out of stock yesterday I had to order supplies that he usually carries,same same other vets locally,had to round up supplies from agency supplier, and yes there was a queue at the govt vet for this injection, so that's the sore throat taken care of,now directions to govt vet,I care not which direction you take I take that route,if you want to follow your arse up to you

Oh,think it was a 10 year old, go pick it up,suck it and weep!

Edited by Rimmer

Oh Dear ! around the block we go,where to start?just where to start? I find it hard here to comprehend your ramblings

I see there must be an interest in the auction house you so vehemenly defend,myself I could not give one jot for the place except pass comment. So John by your own admission is the boss ,but has no influence as to the sale items or pricing of items flowing through his establishment,just advice,never have I quiered that point,never suggested the owner sets the price either, so no apology needed eh! Small wonder then that attendances are down dramatically from previous times,was almost spot a punter a couple of weeks ago,thought I'd come on the wrong day actually,but no it was a Saturday at 11 o'clock.

If I remember from times past the subject of this auction house cropping up you were vehemetly defending it there too with another contributor who made adverse comment,there just would not be an interest here would there in this business? I thought it odd at the time,but did not pass comment then.

I have bought a few items there in times past,good job the trades description act does not extend to Thailand,one item I bid on and won was an item described by John as brand new in the box,my arse, got it home,looked at the serial number and purchase date it was 5 years old and knackered,still I let it go,just makes an individual more suspicious when dealing in circumstances like this.

,I would not have thought bidding for a particular item was a paramount concern one particular week or next,none seem to be forthcoming anyway,but if that is how a business is run ,so be it.Not one bit do I think the owner is a prat, it is his business,but he is not doing himself any favours by constantly putting items up for sale that invaribly never sell. Personally on my last visit I was a bit gob smacked just how low value most of the stock appeared,especially in the back room,I would have thought a rubbish tip would have been the best place for the junk

Not one bit does it outrage me,not interested,just passing comment,it's a debating site I'm debating,if adverse comment is unwelcome,tough,but I say this,it was months ago I attended and was advised to browse the other auction house that does business on a Sunday,because of more favourable pricing, and that was by guys who lived their lives at the Saturday auction.As you say occasionally a bargain can be had, I recall an incident last year, there unusually was no reserve on an item (the seller must have made a mistake) Johns attempts to talk it up were hilarious,think he took a 5 minute recess to give it more time, see if any more punters came forth,none did,think it broke his heart to let it go so cheaply,never seen that repeated,but do not attend now,so no more knowledge

In all I contend I am having an excellent week,but I do think your doctor should give you more of a check up,perhaps a quiet room now and again, and if I were you I would avoid your present doctors advice and start smoking,drinking

So I have to comment on other threads that are now open,not that it involves auctioneering. Sorry but it is distemper season,cold nights always herald distemper, hot nights do not,the govt vet was out of stock yesterday I had to order supplies that he usually carries,same same other vets locally,had to round up supplies from agency supplier, and yes there was a queue at the govt vet for this injection, so that's the sore throat taken care of,now directions to govt vet,I care not which direction you take I take that route,if you want to follow your arse up to you

out of respect to our venerable moderators Rimmer and Raro i will sign off by using your own words from another thread:

''you obviously know nothing about anything -I am done dealing with you, you know better -Good Day''

Edited by timekeeper

out of respect to our venerable moderators Rimmer and Raro i will sign off by using your own words from another thread:

''you obviously know nothing about anything -I am done dealing with you, you know better -Good Day''

Two words come to mind weariness and wary come to mind.

Weariness,.... the prospect of rolling out of bed to attend, of not actually attending an auction, ie that is one party bidding against another party,but the punter up against the auctioneer time after time, trying and unsuccessfully attempting to get under reserved price, which lets face it is set way over the top ,why the stupidly high levels are set and accepted into the auction is beyond me.

Wariness,...(adjective Wary) Yes the auctioneer will try and talk prices up,two instances that decided enough was enough for me,scooter I was interested in , there for an eternity (do not believe the 3 strikes either) week after week,eventually I asked just what the reserved price was,reluctantly it is given at times, and was advised it was 34 thousand Baht,that was a cool 10 thousand more than a place down the road that sells on a Friday for an identical item,and even that price never shifted it there. Another instance a second hand camera,praised to high heaven for an eternity,and I mean praised,eventually some gullible picked it up,if only he had gone to Tuk Com he could have had the same thing brand new at a third off the price

The concept of an auction is magnificent,the same as back 'ome,but these supposed auctions are nothing like,no bidding against another ,just you and the auctioneer

Sorry Rimmer,did not see the fine line being drawn. knock it out of view,just a piece I had intended to include last night. Sorry

Edited by jori

Have you tried ebay I think it goes under the banner of shopping.th or something like that. Try google ebay thailand. On the auction thing, if an item doesn't sell the seller still has to pay the auction house a fee. This happens at all the auction houses I trade with. Not sure about the one mentioned though