Thailand To Sell Eggs By The Kilo From Next Month

webfact

I guess those Ostrich eggs are gonna quadruple in price (vested interest?) perhaps it's time to put away the keyboard and go hang out at the Dusit zoo.

Reminds me when I needed some chain for a fence at my old house. Told the guy I need 3 meters, he said how heavy is that? I said why, I am not gonna marry it.

Basil Fawlty goes into LOS grocery market looking for eggs for his new Inn in Hua Hin.

"Good Morning, could I have 2 dozen Grade A eggs please, fresh only." he states

"We no sell eggs by the number or grade, only the weight ka," shop lady replies

"Alright then, could I have the equivalent weight of 2 dozen Grade A eggs please." He replies

Getting angry now she retorts "Khun Fawlty, I can give you 2kgs of eggs for 99 Baht, you buy now no?"

He replies, "If it's the same price as 24 Grade A eggs, you can throw in the hen, I don't care how much it weighs."

(She mutters to her friend "Farang mai ko jai kai, not gai, we no sell no gai, only kai.")

This is all very well for supermarkets with digital scales, but most market traders have primitive weighing scales on their stalls, so they are going to continue "rounding up" anyway.

And we'll just have to shell out!! :rolleyes:

:sorry:

They must have stayed up all nite the think of that.

Well I was !!! ... I just couldn't fathom how changing the way eggs are sold from the dozen to the kilo was going to save me or anyone else any money. I mean, if you want a dozen eggs at 65g each you've got to buy 780g of eggs. Whether it be by the dozen or kilo, it is still 780g of eggs ....... then it hit me ....... we can all count up to twelve ..... but few of us (if any) ever check the accuracy of the scales. The scales, I'm sure, will demonstrate clearly that 11 x 65 = 780 !!!

Cheers folks

V.

PS: Yes, I'm still around, even though I haven't posted here for around twelve months.

Welcome back Virgil.

I hope I don't have to buy a plastic bag filled with eggs. I do like the container. I like to have a dozen.

On Saturday, Sunday and holidays I like to make a three egg omlette, using 3 large eggs.

Life as I know it may end with this change!

Basil Fawlty goes into LOS grocery market looking for eggs for his new Inn in Hua Hin.

"Good Morning, could I have 2 dozen Grade A eggs please, fresh only." he states

"We no sell eggs by the number or grade, only the weight ka," shop lady replies

"Alright then, could I have the equivalent weight of 2 dozen Grade A eggs please." He replies

Getting angry now she retorts "Khun Fawlty, I can give you 2kgs of eggs for 99 Baht, you buy now no?"

He replies, "If it's the same price as 24 Grade A eggs, you can throw in the hen, I don't care how much it weighs."

(She mutters to her friend "Farang mai ko jai kai, not gai, we no sell no gai, only kai.")

I actually LOL'ed!

Well played sir! :)

China has sold eggs this way for a long time, I remember the first time I went there in 2001, I was asking for eggs by the dozen and a friend then told me they sold them by the 'jin' which is 500g.

Correct, but in many cases one can buy the soft carton container (6-12 etc) as an extra, also on markets. In a relatively poor country these kind of habits (sell eggs in bags by the kilo) are still found; in more sophisticated countries the container is always included.

LaoPo

Dusit Poll: Majority do not agree with egg pricing policy

BANGKOK (NNT) -- According to the Suan Dusit poll, half of the respondents surveyed do not agree with the government’s idea of having eggs sold by weight.

The survey conducted among 1,000 residents of Bangkok and its surrounding provinces from January 20th -22nd this year found that almost half of them said pricing by weight helps reduce expense on the cost of the production and labors required to separate eggs according to sizes.

However, 43% of them said it would complicate the transaction for both the sellers and buyers. When asked if they agree with pricing by weight,, over 66% expressed their disagreement with the proposed method, citing the existing one was just fine. They also added that the new policy is too complicated, and that the government should concentrate on lowering the cost of production instead.

Meanwhile, 12% of those surveyed said pricing by weight will help them save money and will be fair to buyers as well as sellers.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-01-24 footer_n.gif

isn't the Grading AA,A,B,C about the Eggs size/weight/quality/cleanliness of shell anyway?

Seems like some bored bureaucrat or politician had a "great idea" while none else to do!

And Yes, here n LoS the phenomenon is that a Kilo isn't necessary 1000 gr. ususally quite a bit less and a dozen is always 12 unless a law will change that too! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Better and cheaper by the Kilo ??

NO = now more expensive.. Bought yesterday

I always buy large '0' size eggs, 10 = 29 baht, now on the stall the eggs are mixed size in bags..

I do not want mixed sizes so easy buy 30 tray size '0' now = 33 baht for 10, same seller as always, she has no idea why but by the Kilo is cheaper but 4 baht for 10 more expensive :blink:

So this week 30 eggs cost 12 baht more than last month.

Err how do you work out buying by the kilo is cheaper ?

Edited by ignis