Saturday Night In Ubon Ratchathani

malct

Hi All

I was meant to be going to jomtien for 9 Nights, but my GF wants to to go to Ubon Ratchathani for a few days to see a different way of life compared to the more commercal places in thailand and also visit yasothon and meet the family (Mmmmmm) , Mind you i just spent a week in bang saen last month and it was really relaxing

Looking at staying at the Sunee Hotel in Ubon but unsure how long i should stay in. At the moment i feel maybe 3 nights maybe long enough but not sure if its a place to have a holiday.

My first issue, Do i arrive on Saturday and what are saturday nights like in Ubon or do i spend saturday night in Bangkok even though bangkok is just the same old same old after going there so many times, and is it worth Leaving Ubon after 3 or 4 nights and travelling to Jomtien for just 4 nights.

I do find that places of the beaten track are quite and are more aimed at the thai people.

in Bang saen, all the Bars where for people going to uni.

we did think about Khon kaen for a week, But more of a distance to Yasothon.. She will have me looking at house's next LOL

Malc

Ubon is quite a large city and that can certainly be done if you like.

As for your other problem, I am perhaps the wrong person to speak to seeing as I believe Jomtien is the arse end of the world and will not even drive through there if I can avoid it let alone step out of my car. Why anyone would want to stay there is beyond me. Your gf is correct in wanting to try and get you out of la la land and into something a little closer to resembling the real Thailand.

Edited by MeMock

As for your other problem, I am perhaps the wrong person to speak to seeing as I believe Jomtien is the arse end of the world and will not even drive through there if I can avoid it let alone step out of my car. Why anyone would want to stay there is beyond me. Your gf is correct in wanting to try and get you out of la la land and into something a little closer to resembling the real Thailand.

MeMock, Your idea of an "arse end" is not what everyone else think! me personally I´ve always find Jomtien to be a relaxing place

away fromthe hectic Pattaya! Have all my friends there, nice hotell and so on.

if you find this to be an arse end, up to you my friend. But I think it says more about you than Jomtien really!!!

Glegolo

MeMock, Your idea of an "arse end" is not what everyone else think! me personally I´ve always find Jomtien to be a relaxing place

away fromthe hectic Pattaya! Have all my friends there, nice hotell and so on.

if you find this to be an arse end, up to you my friend. But I think it says more about you than Jomtien really!!!

Glegolo

glegolo, that is why I said that I am probably the wrong person to speak to because of my thoughts on my place.

Each to their own of course, just not my style.

A bit OTT to lambast a place that you admit you have never visited Memock.

Jomtiem is no Pattaya. It is more of a real Thai resort than anything to do with falang and hookers (yes they exist at one end of the town, but 90% of the beach and accommodation facilities are largely Thai families, Thai couples and falang families/couples. I took my extended Thai family there a few months ago and they loved it.

Jomtien is a very strange resort, its got a feeling of a forgotten town that was built for the tourist but found that the demand for the tourist never arrived, So you end up with a few sois looking as if no one stays in the propertys, but on the other hand, it makes the town feel a very romantic place with a lot to give.

I have to say that i am always chilled out when i leave.

got a nice bar called lovejoys that play old videos from the 80's all night and no one is hassled into going into the bar plus the drink is cheap to, Half the price of pattaya. and then their is the surf kitchen, Great food and also relaxed.

I also found Bang saen Relaxing to, but not many places for westerners to drink at night, unless you want to sit with the Uni kids

My main problem on this trip is going to Yasothon Half way through my Holiday due to one of my GF's family members birthday and i am only in thailand 9 nights, so not sure what to do.

malc

Do a search on this forum for old threads on Ubon and Surin nightlife. I haven't visited these places for a year or two but have had good nights out in both towns in the past. It might be worth exploring Ubon and, after your visit to Yasothon, spending a few nights in Surin. Ubon has a lot more than two bars, and Surin has Soi Kola plus other attractions. It isn't hard to find the Isaan version of the a-go-go or coyote bar, if your girlfriend will let you out. Full participation is not compulsory and the Isaan nightlife represents an interesting contrast to the tourist spots.

Sunee hotel is the newest and one of the best hotels in Ubon. It has many facilities but in my opinion a tad bit business like.

If you have your own transport I would stay at Huai Muang Apartments which is a new complex with great views of the reservoir and a third of the price of Sunee. The rooms are very good. It’s located just a mile from one of the large shopping malls SK.

If you don’t have your own transport I would stay at Pan House as it’s very central and also have very good rooms.

If you like a drink away from the two farang bars I would visit Swing Party House, they have a good band playing, but they do have hostesses, but they are very discreet and professional. In my opinion it’s suitable for couples to have a good time.

There are a few farang orientated places to eat. Enjoy a breakfast at Peppers and if you’re missing the company of other farangs then you can visit Wrong Way and N Joy. I would suggest trying the local Thai restaurants if you coming to this part of Thailand.

All the above information is on weloveubon.com

MeMock, we are missing your good company but John is doing a very good job. Maybe you will continue with you blog................

Hi Zoolander, A very comprehensive response to the OP - well done!

Please tell me more about Huai Muang apartments.

As for my blog, I was just thinking last night that it is time to crank it up again at least for a short while as we are on our way back to Ubon for some business and some leisure in a little over 2 weeks time. Now that we are not involved in any food business in Ubon I look forward to going back and doing food reviews around Ubon as now I cannot be accused of being based so stay tuned!

Glad to hear that John is doing really well at Peppers and I am looking forward to enjoying a coffee or two on the correct side of the counter this time!

I liked Ubon.

It was good to see so much water. The main river running through Ubon is large and gives Ubon a presence.

We went on a day trip out to the junction of the Mekhong river and the Moon river then down to the border with Laos at Chong Mek where you can walk across to Laos.

I had a couple of bia Laos in Laos.

We then headed west to a large dam with a place nick named " little Pattaya " ( nothing like the real one ) for some food over the water and back to Ubon.

It was a great day and well while doing if you have the time.

Yer the Pha Taem national park is very interesting, its about 2 hours drive from Ubon on the Laos border, through 2 colour river, ( Where the Monn and Meekong rivers meet). The park has 10,000 year old cave paintings, is the first place in Thailand to see the sun rise and set, and has some great waterfalls. http://www.thaiforestbooking.com/np_home.asp?lg=2&npid=19

Ubon Hash House Harriers (UHHH or U3H) have their monthly runs on the first Saturday of each month, so if you for example will be there on Saturday 5th of February, you're welcome to join for some social fun and p*ss. Take a look at www.ubonhash.com for pics and info, or just pm me for details of upcoming runs.... :D

I love Ubon but if I was there as a tourist for 9 days I would take an excursion to southern Laos for 2 or 3 days. Daily international bus from Ubon bus station through the border to Pakse in Laos (2 to 3 hours). Was a bargain at 200 baht a couple of years ago (update and times anyone?). A night in Pakse (walk around, eat French bistro food and drink Beer Lao; visit a Laos disco if you are that way inclined. Baguettes and Laos coffee for breakfast in the morning and then a trip on the Mekong down to Champusak for the ancient Khmer temple (forerunner to Angkor I think). A 3 to 4 day trip would encompass the lovely 4,000 islands in the lower Mekong but that's probably pushing you out of Ubon too long.

If you are exploring the Thai side of Ubon province first you do not need to go back to Ubon - get to the border and walk half a k from the Laos side to the songthaew bus station. Cheap songthaews - get some Kip at the border (laos currency, not an exhortation to rest up), though they probably will take baht.

Agree re parks and Pha Tem. Also get up early and walk around the areas in Ubon with temples 6:30 to 7:30. Poor man's Chiang Mai at that time of day. Dig out the jungle garden coffee bar in Warin Chamrap - nothing like it in Thailand.

[another Ubon hasher]

I liked Ubon.

It was good to see so much water. The main river running through Ubon is large and gives Ubon a presence.

We went on a day trip out to the junction of the Mekhong river and the Moon river then down to the border with Laos at Chong Mek where you can walk across to Laos.

I had a couple of bia Laos in Laos.

We then headed west to a large dam with a place nick named " little Pattaya " ( nothing like the real one ) for some food over the water and back to Ubon.

It was a great day and well while doing if you have the time.

Can't cross into Lao anymore with out getting a visa, $30 US You used to be able to cross on a boat at Kon Jeam, but they have stopped Farangs Crossing now.

Well you have 2 choices, Wong way Cafe and N'Joy bar, for farrang bars

ฺีBut they're not really worth the effort, one is virtually a double garage with tables ;).

Not a description I would give :blink: , but then again I don't have a double garage so may not have too much knowledge about it :whistling:

I love Ubon but if I was there as a tourist for 9 days I would take an excursion to southern Laos for 2 or 3 days. Daily international bus from Ubon bus station through the border to Pakse in Laos (2 to 3 hours). Was a bargain at 200 baht a couple of years ago (update and times anyone?). A night in Pakse (walk around, eat French bistro food and drink Beer Lao; visit a Laos disco if you are that way inclined. Baguettes and Laos coffee for breakfast in the morning and then a trip on the Mekong down to Champusak for the ancient Khmer temple (forerunner to Angkor I think). A 3 to 4 day trip would encompass the lovely 4,000 islands in the lower Mekong but that's probably pushing you out of Ubon too long.

If you are exploring the Thai side of Ubon province first you do not need to go back to Ubon - get to the border and walk half a k from the Laos side to the songthaew bus station. Cheap songthaews - get some Kip at the border (laos currency, not an exhortation to rest up), though they probably will take baht.

Agree re parks and Pha Tem. Also get up early and walk around the areas in Ubon with temples 6:30 to 7:30. Poor man's Chiang Mai at that time of day. Dig out the jungle garden coffee bar in Warin Chamrap - nothing like it in Thailand.

[another Ubon hasher]

+1 for Southern Lao - i've just spent a week there. 200 baht bus Ubon to Pakse (+ $35 visa). Pakse is OK for an overnighter but not worth hanging around. Rented a motorbike in Pakse for 7 days ($8 / day) and drove to Champasak (Temples - @2 hours) and then on to Don Det (another 1 1/2 hours). Don Kon / Don Det and all the Si Phan Don (4000 islands) area is a bit special. Hut on the Mekong / Hammock / Beer Lao. Tat Somphamit (Li Phi waterfalls) / Khon Phapheng waterfalls / Dolphins. Just avoid the stoned backpackers and you'll be set. Lao is the real deal. I guess like Thailand 20 years ago - and the people are great. Cheap as chips. But you have to rough it a bit more compared to Thailand.

Out side Ubon city is better - going east i'd take a 2 or 3 days and go to Kong Chiam (theres a big temple there in a cave) also +1 for Pha Taem area and onto Shrintorn Dam (little Pattaya) near Chong Mek and eat big prawns on the lakeside.

If you go North East - Sam Pan Bok is worth checking also.

If you want Thai nightlife in Ubon then goto the Country Club near Big C at the weekend. Lots of Thais listening to Issan music and getting drunk.

An afternoon sitting / drinking on one of the Mun river rafts eating all sorts is worth doing also - like this fellow :

http://isaanstyle.bl...n-thailand.html

Edited by ontherig

[another Ubon hasher]

+1 for Southern Lao - i've just spent a week there. 200 baht bus Ubon to Pakse (+ $35 visa). Pakse is OK for an overnighter but not worth hanging around. Rented a motorbike in Pakse for 7 days ($8 / day) and drove to Champasak (Temples - @2 hours) and then on to Don Det (another 1 1/2 hours). Don Kon / Don Det and all the Si Phan Don (4000 islands) area is a bit special. Hut on the Mekong / Hammock / Beer Lao. Tat Somphamit (Li Phi waterfalls) / Khon Phapheng waterfalls / Dolphins. Just avoid the stoned backpackers and you'll be set. Lao is the real deal. I guess like Thailand 20 years ago - and the people are great. Cheap as chips. But you have to rough it a bit more compared to Thailand.

Out side Ubon city is better - going east i'd take a 2 or 3 days and go to Kong Chiam (theres a big temple there in a cave) also +1 for Pha Taem area and onto Shrintorn Dam (little Pattaya) near Chong Mek and eat big prawns on the lakeside.

If you go North East - Sam Pan Bok is worth checking also.

If you want Thai nightlife in Ubon then goto the Country Club near Big C at the weekend. Lots of Thais listening to Issan music and getting drunk.

An afternoon sitting / drinking on one of the Mun river rafts eating all sorts is worth doing also - like this fellow :

http://isaanstyle.bl...n-thailand.html

Good post Ontherig. I'll ask you how to get to your Mun river rafts next time I see you in Enjoy.